Shelby Razors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #1

Shelby Razors

I have a 2006 6 mustang and after searching for rims to get I have decided to go with the chrome Shelby razors. What I wanna do is get the 18x9 for the front and 20x9 for the rear.. What are the cons of doing this? Plus my car is lowered and I see the 20x9 with 5.5, 6, 6.5 along with the 18x9 with 5.5, 6, 6.5 backspacing. What should I go for? I plan on just upgrading to the GT brake kit nothing big or crazy.

Ive tried to see If I could get the 20x9 and 18x9 in a tire package but I cant mix and match, so Ill have to buy tires different.. So I wanna see what Ill need and that way I can price tires tomorrow. Thanks Everybody
StangPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

Re: Shelby Razors

Plus I see the the 24mm and Ive seen different backspacing. Ive heard that bigger backspacing will cause the tire to stick out more and be unattractive to the eyes lol. I want to make sure I go the right route with this
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i am not sure I would stagger 2 inches front vs back, it will look way out of place as you will have more sidewall on the front than the back. Keep the rim size the same.

with that said back spacing is the amount of rim from the mounting surface (rotor) back. If its a 10 wide rim and the back spacing is 6 inches then 4 inches of the rim is from the mounting surface outward.

For 99-04 4 inches of rim from the rotor out is about perfect, its under enough so that the amount of the tire that will stick out will be under the fender edge about .25 inches.

As far as 05+ I am not sure, I do know that my 03 cobra rims stick out in the back JUST a very little bit. They are 6.11 back spacing on a 9 wide, so that means 2.89 inches of the rim are on the outside.

With that for a 9 wide rim I would probably aim for 5.75~ back spacing for the rear to 6 inch back spacing max on a 9 inch wide rim~ (6 may be a tad to much but once again not sure just fyi)

for what ever width go no more than 3 inches of rim sticking out (subtract the back spacing from the width to get this number)

I cant help you much on the front im sure a near stock rim setup will work fine though.

Your fenders are rolled from the factory so you wont have to worry about hitting the edges of them.

on a final note offset and back spacing all go together. All offset is.. is how far off center the mounting surface is on the rim. If its 24mm offset (25.4 mm = 1 inch so close to an inch) then that means its 1 inch from the center of the rim out (negative offset is inside) so if its a 10 inch wide rim with 24mm offset that means the back spacing is 6 inches, cuz you take the center line, 10, then take an inch toward the outside, left with 6 inch inside (backspacing), 4 outside.

Hope this helps
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
i am not sure I would stagger 2 inches front vs back, it will look way out of place as you will have more sidewall on the front than the back. Keep the rim size the same.

with that said back spacing is the amount of rim from the mounting surface (rotor) back. If its a 10 wide rim and the back spacing is 6 inches then 4 inches of the rim is from the mounting surface outward.

For 99-04 4 inches of rim from the rotor out is about perfect, its under enough so that the amount of the tire that will stick out will be under the fender edge about .25 inches.

As far as 05+ I am not sure, I do know that my 03 cobra rims stick out in the back JUST a very little bit. They are 6.11 back spacing on a 9 wide, so that means 2.89 inches of the rim are on the outside.

With that for a 9 wide rim I would probably aim for 5.75~ back spacing for the rear to 6 inch back spacing max on a 9 inch wide rim~ (6 may be a tad to much but once again not sure just fyi)

for what ever width go no more than 3 inches of rim sticking out (subtract the back spacing from the width to get this number)

I cant help you much on the front im sure a near stock rim setup will work fine though.

Your fenders are rolled from the factory so you wont have to worry about hitting the edges of them.

on a final note offset and back spacing all go together. All offset is.. is how far off center the mounting surface is on the rim. If its 24mm offset (25.4 mm = 1 inch so close to an inch) then that means its 1 inch from the center of the rim out (negative offset is inside) so if its a 10 inch wide rim with 24mm offset that means the back spacing is 6 inches, cuz you take the center line, 10, then take an inch toward the outside, left with 6 inch inside (backspacing), 4 outside.

Hope this helps
Helps alot. After looking at everything, I guess Im gonna just stick to 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in what ever rim I choose. Thank alot you saved me some money.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

See Here:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t28775/

I tried it last year, and it didnt work. 2" of staggering in height is very hard to get to look right because you end up with too much tire side-wall up front and not enough in the rear and it just looks odd...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
See Here:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t28775/

I tried it last year, and it didnt work. 2" of staggering in height is very hard to get to look right because you end up with too much tire side-wall up front and not enough in the rear and it just looks odd...

Thanks alot.. I see what you mean. Looks Great as hell from the far pic though. Great looking car by the way man..
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

the shelby razors in 18s look to cramped with all the bolts and such so look at a set in person or on a car vs the 20s to make sure you still like them
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the shelby razors in 18s look to cramped with all the bolts and such so look at a set in person or on a car vs the 20s to make sure you still like them
The 18x9 and 18x10 are gonna have to be my last choice.

I actually wrote out a whole lot and guess I forgot to submit. I was looking at the 20x9 and 20x10 Cragar rims on American Muscle. What do you guys think about those? I like them alot and they look good on the other mustangs, just sucks there isnt a Deep Dish for the 20x10.. Plus why are they Cheap? The link below go's to the rims.

Chrome Cragar S/S Wheel - 2005+ (20x10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

price tires for 20s and realize they will need replacing every couple of years (well it depends on tread wear rating~) if you stomach it then you can go for it, the rims are not that expensive its the tires lol
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO

Would putting a 18x10.5 rear on an 04 GT stick out very much? I want to put a 315 tire on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires