What size rims can fit my mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What size rims can fit my mustang?

So I have a black 08 mustang gt with red leather interrior. I love it its my baby. I was wondering how wide of rims I could put on it, and how big. I was hoping for some black 18 inch or 19 (prob 18) inch rims with a red lip on them. But I have no Idea of what demensions would work.

Also Do you think I should stick to classic 5 spoke? Thanks!
GhostStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: What size rims can fit my mustang?

Typically, S197's will have a 9-inch wide rim in the front & a 9 or 10 inch wide rim in the back...most manufacturers out there make 18x9's or 20x9's for the fronts/rears and they make 18x10's or 20x10's for the rears only...

I would stay away from 19" wheels as the tires tend to get quite pricey...Typically, when you get above 18" wheels, the odd-diameter sizes get to be very expensive, so stick with the more typical even numbers...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

A lot of people put 17-20 inch rims on their S-197 mustangs. You tend to see a lot of 18x9s in the front, and 18x10's in the back. You can't really go wider than 9 inches on the front, or else you're gonna be rubbing a lot. You have more options on the rear. You can match the fronts, or put wider ones in the back for a nice staggered look. I have 10.5's on my car and love them, though I see a lot of 05+ cars with the 10 inch rims out back, and they look great too.

Mustang Wheels - A Simple Buyer's Guide at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

The wheel style is up to you. I like wheels that follow the traditional 5 spoke pattern - saleens, bullits, fr-500's, GT4's cobras, etc., but everyone has their own preferences. Do some research, look at pics, determine what you like, as I said, it's a personal preference.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

to be honest 19s or 20s are the best fitment looks wise (they are heavy and all that but just visually speaking) 18s are to small overall~ the only way (in my opinion) to pull off 18s correctly on a 05-09 mustang is to use a tire whos sidewall is shorter than stock (use the fitment of a 99-04 mustang) this will drop the sidewall about .25 inches and make the rim look bigger. The HUGE sidewall of the tires throw off the rim size and make them look smaller.

You run into an issue with the speedometer by doing this and will need a tuner to calibrate it~ thats the only hassle for the most part.

As far as fitment width wise you should be able to fit up to an 11 inch rim in the back and a 315 tire.

BE VERY CAREFUL on the rim fitment specs you look at~ review my article here about fitment
Mustang Wheels and Tires FAQ

read rim fitment overview section it will answer how you want the rims to fit

I dont have the fender flush information on 05+ but I can get it (I have it currently listed for 94-04...) but this will get you started in what numbers mean what on rims.

I am assuming your rear front spacing needs to be 3 inches going by how my 03 cobra rims look on my friends 08 gt.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Thanks guys this helps alot, because I was literally clueless as to where to start. I'll read up on your article spectorv thanks!
GhostStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires