Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to red herring
Tires

So my tires were balding so much that they wore all the way through to the steel belts and wouldn't hold air anymore. I went down to buy new tires thinking I was going to buy the Yokahama AVS es 100. I can't recall the names but it's something close to that. Instead, they guy pushed me into buying the Kumho Ecsta ASX's. I hate salesmen, and I wish they would just give me what I wanted but there were like 5 people behind me getting pissed off at the wait and I can't stand having that much attention. So does anyone have any experience with these? They're Z rated still and get pretty good reviews but what I really want to know is traction. Anyone with experience or knowledge? I think I might go back and buy Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's instead.

Cliffnotes: Got Kumho Ecsta ASX, know anything about them?

Sidenote: tires coming off are Yokahama yk420, didn't like them much, want more traction.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the kumo 712s are horrid for traction and looks, get the yokahoma avs es100s as you wanted to start with. I had kumo 712s... never again lol. Most street tires dont hook up very well and give good life.. so if you dont mind having a tire that will wear out fast then you can step up to some better traction.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
i agree kuhmo is not the way to go if your wanting better traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Right now Dunlop has there Z rated tires on sale These are on sale at most tire outlets for around 100-110 a tire

http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/di...20904&zipCode=
Old 05-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Meh, people have different things to say here and on other sites. After I let the tires scrub I'll put them to the test and perhaps write a review. What is the scrubbing period 300 miles?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

kumo 712s are some of the worst tires out there, ive talked to many that have them and use them for many different things, I have had personal experience with them. They blow... but if you want to find out the hard way then be my guest.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
kumo 712s are some of the worst tires out there, ive talked to many that have them and use them for many different things, I have had personal experience with them. They blow... but if you want to find out the hard way then be my guest.
theyre some of the best tires for autocrossing... maybe you just need to heat them up before the traction comes on, but ive never heard bad things from anyone about them at any autocross meet... not to mention, thats what 90% of the people out there run. they may not be a great street tire, but if they didnt give good traction, i dont think theyd be so popular in the autox world.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
not to mention, thats what 90% of the people out there run. .
That's what I always heard. Everybody keeps telling me different information. I can't tell what's good and what's bad because people's opinions differ so much.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
There are so many other tires than Kumos. I dont hate them but they are not the best tire especially for the rain. I have had the most expensive tires you can get at a tire store and I have had cheapo BF Goodrich. I require a good traction tire in the mountians. Other than you guys who autocross I put my suspension thru more than most of you will ever do. There is a balance between mileage and traction. I will give up some mileage for better traction but I wont give up traction for better mileage. Everything being equal I will pick safety and traction. To me Kumo's do neither greatly. But for a cheap kick around tire they do!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well, like I said, I'm already stuck with the ASX's, but what do you suggest for next time? I'd also say that I put my tires through far far more than anyone else here except for the consistent autocrossers, just like you. Aren't the Bridgestone Potenza series supposed to be good?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl 951
I've had the ES-100's on the 944 for over a year. I think the tires are fairly good in the dry but mine are well past 50% with only 8K miles. I put Fuzion ZR-1 275 and 255-40/17's on the turbo and l have nothing but praise for them so far, great dry grip and they run better in the rain than some all-season tires I used. You might want to take a look at those if you are considering a change.
That is coming from bimmerforums.com. Just seeing if anyone agrees that the ES 100's wear out THAT quickly.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

my AVS ES100s have quite a bit of miles on them, going on 20k and they still have half tread or more, I take alot better care of my tires than most, my old Kumo 712s are on my old cobra R rims, now nearing 50k miles (sold to silverstangboy) he has them on his coupe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires