Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Wheel size & tire size help needed for newbie

37K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  rayramos 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I have 1998 mustang GT that I purchased brand new. I love it but would really like to give it a more aggressive look. I currently have the stock 17" wheels but I've always felt that the large wheel wells makes the tires (especially the rears) look small. I was thinking of buying some 18" rims for the rear with a wider rim & some wider 17" rims for the front tires. Is this the way go? Also, what's size tire & rims should I purchase. I spoke to some guys at my local discount tire but I really don't know?

#2 ·
One thing to consider is rotation. If you put bigger wheels/tires on the back of the car then you can not rotate your tires. This may be an issue in tire wear. Just a word of warning if you are to consider this.

I have 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the rear with 275/35/18 tire in the front and 295/35/18 tires in the rear. You should go no smaller (the first number is the width) on a 9 inch and 10 inch rim respectively. There is no point in buying wide rims unless you plan to us them (aka use wider tires).

If you want to maintain the ability to rotate you can run 18x9's all around with 275/235/18s (you can go 265/35/18s if you have to but no smaller).

Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle has a ton of wheel/tire packages and since you are a member get with use for a 6% off discount!

If you want staggered wheels (front different size than the back) then I can defiantly help you out. You can click my wheels in my signature to see the setup and fitment that mine have.

I think 18 inch rims look best on 94-04 mustangs. The key thing is lowering the car, a lowered mustang with 18 inch rims looks best.

read this: http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/2009181/

it will answer many questions for you

#4 ·
I would suggest lowering your car at least 1.5 inches. If you live in an area that has big inclines or your driveway is steep then 1.5 is about the limit. I have to be careful or I will scrape.

You can use the same drop for 17s or 18s in rims the overall size will not change as you get diff tire sizes depending on what size rim you use.

I have H&R brand springs they are the H&R Race springs. They are stiffer than most but I like the added performance they bring. They are also a progessive spring so the harder you push down on them the stiffer they get, linear springs are always teh same rate.

You have a solid rear axle and I have a live rear axle so you can use the same brand springs but not the exact same ones.

#6 ·
His wheels came from a private company, and unless you feel like spending what your car is worth on wheels...don't worry about them.

They are True Forged Mach 5's. Beautiful wheels.

#8 ·
Those are 18x9 on the front and 18x10 on the back. Can be found by searching for FR500 wheels.

I got the fronts from a private seller several years ago and bought the rears with tires mounted from discount tire direct in early 08. Backspacing is whatever came with the wheels, I believe I had a 3/8 spacer on the rear in those pictures but I have since taken them out and am awaiting some stronger studs for the rear.

#9 ·
mine are true forged wheels, I almost went with the FR500s (which american muscle carries) but decided to go another route. You can google BBK RS wheels they look good on mustangs and are not super expensive used.

I like FR500s in 18s and they have a deep dish rear look that I like as well. They are a great deal for the price and with a 6% american muscle discount for being a forum member that doesnt hurt either.

Get the right size tires also and your set

#10 ·
Hey SpectorV,
I think I've decided to go with the FR500. With the 9" rims in front & 10" in back like you suggested. I also plan on ordering the 275/35/18 for the front & 295/35/18 for the rear tires. However, americanmuscle dosen't carry the 295/35/18 only the 305/35/18 or 285/35/18. Will the 305s just be too much tire for my '98? What about the 285's, will they give me that deepdish muscle look that I'm seeking ? Just worried about tire clearance, etc. After the tires go on, I'm gonna lower the car as well. Thanks inadvanced.

#11 ·
One thing to keep in mind when it comes to tires is that each manuf makes them different. For some they run more narrow than others. It can even be different from the types of tires a brand makes.

In order to in vision what the numbers mean 25.4mm is an inch. And remember that separated on a rim so half inside half outside.

285 = 11.22in
305 = 12.00in

So thats .78 inches different. Then divide by 2 so .39 inches per side different. Thats the thickness different on average from 285 to 305. And from a 295 (what I consider about perfect for a 10 inch wide) is 10mm which is quite little, 5mm per side... so .19 inches.

Basically a 305 will do the job fine and so will a 285 for that matter~ If I had to choose I would probably lean toward the 305.

What brand tires? I love my BFG kdw's. Nittos are known to run narrow in most of their brands so you can probably run a 315 nitto and it fit like a 295 regular tire~

#12 ·
Hey SpectorV,
I ordered the FR500 in the sizes that you recommended. However when I called to order them from American Muscle they said I needed a discount code. I ordered the rims anyway but they told me I could call back & use the code when I get it. How do I go about getting that discount code. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.