Wheel Bearings? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
Wheel Bearings?

Since we really dont have a drivetrain tech forum, and drivetrain doesnt relate to 4.6/sohc only, im gonna put this here since its closest.

my rear end is still making that metallic moan/whine on takeoff/under 2mph, after that the noise goes away. i had my buddy do some stop n go with me next to the car, and it sounds like its coming from the rotor. but the brakes are NOT even hot to the touch, which basically cancels out frozen caliper.

its not rear end related, because in a moment of pure supiditiy or ultimate trust, i got under the car and put my head close to the diff and told him to "Put it in 1st, and take off like youve been doing, and make sure youre in first" and the sound is 90% on the drivers side, and the other 10% i believe coming from the passenger side is just the sound transfering through the driveline.

im thinking wheel bearings or axle bearings or whatever is back there (i have some mental block which permits me from fully comprehending suspension ****). is this a accurate assumption to make? are these hard to replace(i hear theyre like a 1 piece unit and you have to replace the whole hub assembly or some****?)

then i though of another thing. the sound only comes when the weight is trasnfered enough to the rear. if you slip the clutch out alot to where there isnt much(if any) weight trasnfer, there is no sound. which leads me to also believe its something to do with the rear suspension and possible interference with a moving part until weight transfer subsides. though on a full balls to the wall launch this sound has never arisen. only when im in traffic and subsequentially next to a hot chick does the sound emit, making her notice the hot sexeh eleanor next to her lexus is really a misguided decroted pile of dilapitated monkey poo.

in a fit of anger i might just rip out the whole rear end and see where im at when the dust settles.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Wheel Bearings?

there is a bearing that is around the end of the axle as it meets the rear end tunnel~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
there is a bearing that is around the end of the axle as it meets the rear end tunnel~
Yes, 'tis called an axle bearing. Wheel bearings are up front in the spindle. Wheel bearings are a ***** to replace, while axle bearings are quite simple. I would check them and the calipers while you're at it. I had a buddy with a '01 V6 have a rear caliper freeze up not too long ago, and it wasn't pretty. Nearly ate all the way through the rotor before the lazy bastard fixed it.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Yes, 'tis called an axle bearing. Wheel bearings are up front in the spindle. Wheel bearings are a ***** to replace, while axle bearings are quite simple. I would check them and the calipers while you're at it. I had a buddy with a '01 V6 have a rear caliper freeze up not too long ago, and it wasn't pretty. Nearly ate all the way through the rotor before the lazy bastard fixed it.
yeah see cause thats not the problem here, rear rotor and pads show normal wear and rotor has no grooves at all.

remember i was the idiot who bought new rear calipers because i though the stockers were frozen when i went to do a brake job, cause i didnt know they screwed in with a special tool and i was trying to C-Clamp them in like 99% of the other vehicles on the road, so the calipers are maybe 2,000 miles old.

are axle bearings available at the local ricerzone/etc? even if theyre not the culprit, i might as well do them to gain the experience.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude View Post
are axle bearings available at the local ricerzone/etc? even if theyre not the culprit, i might as well do them to gain the experience.
Yes, they should be. I bought mine at O'Reilley's.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

ugh, i would have done them monday night, but we got a call from our contractors doing our new room that we need to get the Insulation up by thursday cause the drywall guys are moving up their schedule and its either thursday or 2 weeks. so i gotta put the rear end **** on hold for a bit.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

moan = Fix.t

after seeing how much a PITA axle bearings were going to be, i elected to get a second opinion. we took the GT to one of my buddies freinds house who runs a road-racing team and they have a lift in their back yard, and his dad is a big time muscle car guy, and said hed take a look at it.

well needless to say, with the roush kit and c-springs, the car didnt make it on the lift. its a scissor lift but the arms would not fit under the car, even after we drove the car on wooden ramps, the arms were too shallow and started to lift the car by the sideskirts first before the pads were even close to the frame. so we jacked up the rear instead and gave the wheels a few turns and the guy instantly says "Turn your rear rotors! thats the same sound our Cobra makes with our competiton brakes from a stop".

so thinking this guys a doofus and these are brand new calipers and rotors as ive already been through the rear brake system to cancel it out of the equation, i take 16$ to the head and get the rotors turned(pep boys ftw!).

after a 3 hour cruise which instilled lots of smoky burnouts and hard driving to heat up the rear to more-than-normal-levels(usually the noise only is most apparent when its hot outside, leaving me to believe its a heat expansion issue), the noise was eliminated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires