Can't Decide On Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

View Poll Results: What tire would ya'll go with
Falken Azenis RT-615 4 40.00%
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 3 30.00%
Pirelli PZero Rosso System 0 0%
Yokohama ADVAN Sport 1 10.00%
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial 0 0%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 0 0%
Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial 2 20.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Can't Decide On Tires

Ya'll would be supprised at how few 315/30/18 tire choices there are. There are plenty of 315/35/17 tires out there, but I'm putting 18's on my car. What do ya'll think.

Here are the 315/30/18 tires that I was able to find.

Falken Azenis RT-615 - $337 - Discount Tire.

^ This is the tire that I'm leaning towards right now. Everything that I've read about it indicates that it is a great tire that is very sticky in dry conditions, but that it also works in the rain very good. The things I don't like about it are A) Its price went up $30 since last night and B) They look kind of ricey as a lot of people use them to drift

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - $397 - Tire Rack.

^ I would love to own this tire, but the price is steep.

Pirelli PZero Rosso System - $364 - Tire Rack.

^ I like the looks of this tire, but I've read some bad reviews about it and the price is pretty steep.

Yokohama ADVAN Sport - $426 - Tire Rack.

^ I'm not really considering this tire as it cost a lot of money, only has a 180 tread rating, and from what I've read is no better than the Michelin Pilots in terms of performance.

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial - $267 - Tire Rack.

^ Not really considering these either. Great track tire, not a great daily driver tire.

Other non-315 tires I'm considering.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $277 - Tire Rack.

^ This is a 295/35/18 tire I'm comparing. If I could choice any 315/30/18 tire to put on the rear of my car it would be this tire hands down. The problem is the only size 315 that this tire comes in is a 315/35/17. Still these tires would probably look really nice on a 10.5" wide wheel, they have good tread wear, are one of the best dry performance tires, are the best wet performance tires, and I haven't heard one negative thing about them. Owners love them, magazine reviews love them, etc. Need proof, I can show ya'll 5 or 6 reviews on this tire, but heres one. Tire Test: The Quick and the Tread - - Car and Driver - December 2005

Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial - $277 - Discount Tire.

^ This is the tire I was going to get, 305/35/18. I'm thinking I don't really want DR's for a car I drive everyday though.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
Re: Can't Deside On Tires

i dunno...i'd consider getting a tuner so you can run a 35 with a correct speedo. I think PureVenom has nitto 555's on his dd...well, maybe it's not his dd, i'm not sure.

i've heard falkens run thin...from zim i believe. I think nittos do also...so, i know that didn't really help, but that's what i know about those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Can't Deside On Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleUSAF View Post
i dunno...i'd consider getting a tuner so you can run a 35 with a correct speedo. I think PureVenom has nitto 555's on his dd...well, maybe it's not his dd, i'm not sure.

i've heard falkens run thin...from zim i believe. I think nittos do also...so, i know that didn't really help, but that's what i know about those
I already have a tuner. I returned my Roush to stock before trading it.

I don't know much about Falkens, but Nitto's typically run undersized except for their 335's which actually run oversized.(go figure) BFG's typically run oversized, and I believe Good Years run oversized to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Can't Decide On Tires

I would go for the michelins or 555Rs for daily driver usage... the michelins will last longer than the nittos ... but the nittos have decent tread life --> Don't get the BFGs, mine have 6k miles on them and they're at the point where they're great for traction but bad for daily driving (esp. if I run across bad weather...) due to the low tread...

I don't expect them to last more than 2-3k miles past where they are... I figure 8k miles tops on these beasts..
Old 04-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Ya'll would be supprised at how few 315/30/18 tire choices there are. There are plenty of 315/35/17 tires out there, but I'm putting 18's on my car. What do ya'll think.

Here are the 315/30/18 tires that I was able to find.

Falken Azenis RT-615 - $337 - Discount Tire.

^ This is the tire that I'm leaning towards right now. Everything that I've read about it indicates that it is a great tire that is very sticky in dry conditions, but that it also works in the rain very good. The things I don't like about it are A) Its price went up $30 since last night and B) They look kind of ricey as a lot of people use them to drift

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - $397 - Tire Rack.

^ I would love to own this tire, but the price is steep.

Pirelli PZero Rosso System - $364 - Tire Rack.

^ I like the looks of this tire, but I've read some bad reviews about it and the price is pretty steep.

Yokohama ADVAN Sport - $426 - Tire Rack.

^ I'm not really considering this tire as it cost a lot of money, only has a 180 tread rating, and from what I've read is no better than the Michelin Pilots in terms of performance.

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial - $267 - Tire Rack.

^ Not really considering these either. Great track tire, not a great daily driver tire.

Other non-315 tires I'm considering.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $277 - Tire Rack.

^ This is a 295/35/18 tire I'm comparing. If I could choice any 315/30/18 tire to put on the rear of my car it would be this tire hands down. The problem is the only size 315 that this tire comes in is a 315/35/17. Still these tires would probably look really nice on a 10.5" wide wheel, they have good tread wear, are one of the best dry performance tires, are the best wet performance tires, and I haven't heard one negative thing about them. Owners love them, magazine reviews love them, etc. Need proof, I can show ya'll 5 or 6 reviews on this tire, but heres one. Tire Test: The Quick and the Tread - - Car and Driver - December 2005

Nitto NT 555R Drag Radial - $277 - Discount Tire.

^ This is the tire I was going to get, 305/35/18. I'm thinking I don't really want DR's for a car I drive everyday though.
My Michelin Pilots cost between 550-600 per in Canadian dollars. I went with 275/40/18's on all 4 corners
1LOBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LOBOSS View Post
My Michelin Pilots cost between 550-600 per in Canadian dollars. I went with 275/40/18's on all 4 corners
So what do you think about them. Does their performance warrent their cost. How many mile or I guess in your case kilometers do you expect them to last.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

KDW2's nigga................

but from that list id go with the F1 DS-D3's.

though i just went on SVTperf and saw what tires people ran and their track times, and went with what they had, if they had good 60ft's with alot of power behind them then you know the tires hooked well.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
KDW2's nigga................

but from that list id go with the F1 DS-D3's.

though i just went on SVTperf and saw what tires people ran and their track times, and went with what they had, if they had good 60ft's with alot of power behind them then you know the tires hooked well.
If I get BFG's I will probably go with the KD's. I had them on my Roush and liked them.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

im going to be going with BFGs but not the DR's you posted they are a different looking DR.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Just to chime in, if you want to not have to replace tires every year on a DD, and with 18's, you aren't going to want to dump 400+ a year for 2 rear tires....don't go with drag radials.

I have DR's on my car which is a DD, and I get about 15-20k out of them depending on how long I want to run them bald and how bald I want to run them. I got about 16k out of my last set and I ran them down until they wouldn't hold air anymore...they were damn bald. And, if you don't go with Nitto DR's, you won't get anywhere near that 15k mark as the others are much softer.

Unfortunately, I had no choice but to run DR's as with 10.5" rims you need a wider tire than they make street radials for in 17s. It was my trade off for not wanting to pay 200+ per tire by running 18s. I did learn of a new wide street radial that I will be checking out, but in the mean time, I have DRs.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea i wouldnt run drs for a daily driver, I dont plan to drive mine every day and definatly NOT in the rain do NOT drive with drs in the rain thats just an accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
yea i wouldnt run drs for a daily driver, I dont plan to drive mine every day and definatly NOT in the rain do NOT drive with drs in the rain thats just an accident waiting to happen.
Correction: Do not drive non Nitto DR's in the rain....the Nitto's are actually very good in the rain until they go bald...then they are like large water skis
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I wouldn't waste money on DRs. They suck. I've had two sets, the BFG (not the new style, the old ones) and Nittos.

The BFGs actually hooked decent on the street. A definite improvement over street radials. However, they were way too soft of a compound for a daily driver. If I would have ran them all the time, they probably only would have lasted 5-6k miles. Plus traction in the rain with them did not exist. At the track, they once again hooked better than street radials, but nothing to brag about. I was pulling 1.9 60' fts with them. I should have just bought slicks for the track.

The Nittos on the other hand are actually decent for daily driving. They did okay in the rain, and probably lasted around 14k miles (but I didn't drive them down to being bald either). But, they didn't hook for ****. No better than a street radial unless you heated them up first. And who wants to have to sit there and light up their tires everytime they take off to go somewhere? At the track, they pretty much sucked too. Hooked nowhere near as well as the BFGs.

So basically, if you want a street tire, buy a street radial. If you want to drag race, buy slicks. If you want to throw away money, buy drag radials.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I wouldn't waste money on DRs. They suck. I've had two sets, the BFG (not the new style, the old ones) and Nittos.

The BFGs actually hooked decent on the street. A definite improvement over street radials. However, they were way too soft of a compound for a daily driver. If I would have ran them all the time, they probably only would have lasted 5-6k miles. Plus traction in the rain with them did not exist. At the track, they once again hooked better than street radials, but nothing to brag about. I was pulling 1.9 60' fts with them. I should have just bought slicks for the track.

The Nittos on the other hand are actually decent for daily driving. They did okay in the rain, and probably lasted around 14k miles (but I didn't drive them down to being bald either). But, they didn't hook for ****. No better than a street radial unless you heated them up first. And who wants to have to sit there and light up their tires everytime they take off to go somewhere? At the track, they pretty much sucked too. Hooked nowhere near as well as the BFGs.

So basically, if you want a street tire, buy a street radial. If you want to drag race, buy slicks. If you want to throw away money, buy drag radials.
FWIW I've cut a few 1.7 60's on the BFG DRs... I go for the DRs as my car is not a daily driver, but I do end up driving it a lot because its fun..

Having that traction on the street makes a huge difference... I've come close to overrevving my car on street tires because it'll have traction then just start spinning, haven't had that issue with DRs

They get to be REALLY hairy if it starts raining though, and the treads running down...
Old 04-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
If I get BFG's I will probably go with the KD's. I had them on my Roush and liked them.
X2 BFG all the way
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
So what do you think about them. Does their performance warrent their cost. How many mile or I guess in your case kilometers do you expect them to last.
I am one of these guys that will spend $$$$$ for a name product. With that being said I have had them on for a year and travelled all of 600miles. The car has travelled 2000 miles in 2 years since new and 99.99% of the time like a 90 year old geez. I admit looking down my nose at tires that are inferior ie nexxans falkens etc. I pretty mcuh bought the car for a waxing/polishing piece
1LOBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I love my Falkens, even if they are just the ZiexZE or whatever... they get good traction wet or dry... and have really held up to my abuse. I've got about 10k on them right now.. and you can't really tell the rears are wearing more than the fronts.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I'm running Nitto 555's on the back of my car (regular 555's not the 555R's). I think they're a decent radial. They grab the road better than the old Goodyear Eagle F1's that came stock. Not sure how they're going to do on treadlife, yet. The F1's were horrible...and they cost better than $200 a piece. The Nittos were a good deal cheaper. I've got an extra set of wheels wrapped in ET Street radial for the track, so I don't rely on my regular back wheels to bite super hard. I certainly wouldn't daily drive those, though.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

and really sticky tires pick up everything and tear up your fenders~
Old 04-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replying and sharring your opinions everyone. This is good info. :beer:
Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a guy who put the Falken Azenis RT-615 on his Mustang, but I'm not sure if I like the look.

FnSweet.com Roush Discussion Board - New Wheels

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires