Good all seasons - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Good all seasons

I'm looking for suggestions for a good, high-performance, All-season. Any thoughts?

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Re: Good all seasons

high performance and all season dont go together. Id look into getting something H rated with some decent all weather tread, but you're going to lose performance on them

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
high performance and all season dont go together. Id look into getting something H rated with some decent all weather tread, but you're going to lose performance on them
I realize I'm not going to get maximum performance, but living where it snows a lot sometimes leads to performance sacrifices. Does anyone have experience with Continental ContiExtremeContact, Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS, or Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. Those are the one's I'm currently looking at. I'm looking to keep the price around $600 for 4.

-Denver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

My opinion is that the Bridgestones are way over priced. The PZeros have a design flow in them in that their tread pattern matches the grooves in the highway (especially most of the large interstate type highways) so at cruise speeds, 70ish mph, the treads start to follow the grooving in the asphalt and it causes the car to shimmy and vibrates the steering wheel. it takes a while to get used to. and I really just don't like Continental brand tires. My suggestion would be the BFG's...The two best of the one's you posted as far as getting a really good tire for a good price were probably the PZeros (if you can get used to the shimmy stuff on the highway) or the BFG's...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Another brand you might check out would be Falken, they make a good tire for the price...A buddy of mine swears by a set of Hankook tires that he bought about 6 months ago, but I dont really know anything about them
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Are these for the stock 16 inch rims? If so then just go cheap because it really wont matter.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
My opinion is that the Bridgestones are way over priced. The PZeros have a design flow in them in that their tread pattern matches the grooves in the highway (especially most of the large interstate type highways) so at cruise speeds, 70ish mph, the treads start to follow the grooving in the asphalt and it causes the car to shimmy and vibrates the steering wheel. it takes a while to get used to. and I really just don't like Continental brand tires. My suggestion would be the BFG's...The two best of the one's you posted as far as getting a really good tire for a good price were probably the PZeros (if you can get used to the shimmy stuff on the highway) or the BFG's...
Are you saying the Bridgestones are overpriced for what they are? On tire rack the bridgestones are $148 each, the Pzeros are $146, and the BFG's are $140.

-Denver
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Are these for the stock 16 inch rims? If so then just go cheap because it really wont matter.
These are for 17" GT rims (on my GT)

-Denver
Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

honestly, if it was me and I was in your situation... id pick up a cheap set of 15s somewhere, and get snow tires... then stick those on in the winter months. Bridgestone blizzacks are the best there are, and its really the safest way to go.

I like toys
Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpony02 View Post
Are you saying the Bridgestones are overpriced for what they are? On tire rack the bridgestones are $148 each, the Pzeros are $146, and the BFG's are $140.
exactly...I have had bad luck with them and wouldn't pay that kind of money for them...which car are you wanting to put these tires on anyway? the GT or v6? if you're putting them on the stock v6 wheels, i agree with spector, I would just go with some descent all season toyo's or something similar, it won't make much difference at all
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

try looking at tires on discounttiredirect.com, they have a lot of brands like falken and nitto that tirerack doesn't have, like Falken and Nitto. plus they have free shipping too I believe which is nice...
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
try looking at tires on discounttiredirect.com, they have a lot of brands like falken and nitto that tirerack doesn't have, like Falken and Nitto. plus they have free shipping too I believe which is nice...
falken and nitto arent necessarily a tired id put on my car if i was looking for snow traction. I run falkens on my car, and they're aweful in the slightest bit of snow. Rain and dry they're great though.

Id really look into some 15's man, and get some snow tires on those. Snow tires on a 15" wheel shouldnt be more than 60 bucks a piece...

I like toys
Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Will a 15" wheel have enough clearance over the stock brakes? It won't on my car, but I am not sure about the previous generation...
Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
falken and nitto arent necessarily a tired id put on my car if i was looking for snow traction. I run falkens on my car, and they're aweful in the slightest bit of snow. Rain and dry they're great though.

Id really look into some 15's man, and get some snow tires on those. Snow tires on a 15" wheel shouldnt be more than 60 bucks a piece...
To be honest Zim I agree with you on the 15's. I ran snow tires on 16's on my v6 in the winters. I'm really asking for opinions on all-seasons for a friend of mine who has a 2003 GT. I just figured it be easier to type from my perspective. I was just feeling out if anyone had any experience with these brand/models of tire because they are what he's narrowed it down to.

Thanks for everyone input so far. If anyone else has experience with these let me know!

-Denver
Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I don't think I'd run any of those tires really...

I've never ran my BFG's in the ice or snow and the wet traction is very good...but I don't think I'd trust them very much in ice or snow.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No tire is really good in the "snow"...driving in heavy snow is pretty much all on the driver...the best tires in the world won't stop you from spinning out if you lock up the brakes in the snow or ice...
Old 06-16-2007, 02:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Mastercraft Avenger ZHP

Quote:
This tire has a tapered tread, that is deeper in the center and tapering off to a shallower tread on the outer sections.

The result is a tire that puts more rubber down in the center. If you examine the picture of the tire you can see this.

The tire is designed this way to be lighter and improve handling in the wet.
That is the tire I am using right now. I couldn't be more impressed for $150 a tire for 18s.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Checkout what Maxxis Tires got.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

I know it's a bit late but i ran the KDWS on a 17 inch rim and they were a good tire, a little pricey though....about $150 a piece....im looking at the Continentals as well just because they are a little bit cheaper and i talked to people that ran them and loved them....this was in dry, rain, snow etc so i think im going to give them a shot
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires