Ladies and Gentleman, Children of All Ages... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Ladies and Gentleman, Children of All Ages...

Introducing:

20x10" rears w/ 285/30's
18x9" fronts w/ 255/45's

they are finally on and here are some pictures...(yes, I know the center caps on the rears don't match yet, my matching Ford Racing cc's will arrive on Tuesday)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0201.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	17781   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0202.JPG
Views:	179
ID:	17782  

Name:	102_0205.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	17783   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0206.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	17784  

Name:	102_0207.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	17785   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0212.JPG
Views:	158
ID:	17786  

'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Ladies and Gentleman, Children of All Ages...

Hm....interesting. I wanna see it in person Chris. BTW, I think a 1 inch drop on the front would look freaking sick...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

beatuiful man just beatuiful

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i like it.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04

they look good Chris!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Hm....interesting. I wanna see it in person Chris. BTW, I think a 1 inch drop on the front would look freaking sick...
thats next up on the list...

I am going with some H&R Sport springs with a 1inch drop up front and 3/4inch drop in the rear in conjunction with some Tokico D-spec adjustables...it should look pretty wild...

I am going for the that classic street rod mustang look of the 69-71's...i want it to look like the rearend is sitting up higher on some bigass wheels without actually doing it...kinda trick the eyes almost
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
Old 08-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

also, i think a black spoiler would be a nice touch.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
also, i think a black spoiler would be a nice touch.
yea, i have been contemplating doing that...that would really give it a classic Mach 1 feel along with louvers on the back glass...the only problem i am having with doing that is that my striping is all glossy black, but i don't know how the glossy black spoiler would look...i was thinking it would be a bit much...

I really would love to do a matte black spoiler, but that won't match the black in the striping, which is why i have just left the spoiler alone for now...
Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

looks horrid IMO. your tire sizes are why. The front tires bulge from the rim, while your rears look like rubber bands. why did you go with 30's out back and 45's up front?

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
looks horrid IMO. your tire sizes are why. The front tires bulge from the rim, while your rears look like rubber bands. why did you go with 30's out back and 45's up front?
in order to match the stock diameter as not to require tuning for the change in tire size...you can thank ford for putting a strange size wheels/tires on the 197

and the front tires don't "bulge" at all, i'm not quite sure what planet you're on...you are aware that thre are two different size wheels on the car, correct? so being that there is a 20-inch wheel in the back, of course the side wall on the tire is going to be smaller than the wheel on the front? the 285 tire on the 10" wide rear wheel is going to have the same amount of "bulge" as you put it as a 255 on a 9" wide front wheel, give or take the 1/10th of an inch difference...

255mm - 9 inches = 1 inch
285mm - 10inches = 1.1 inches

so while you may not like or they may "bulge" to you, most others seems to be quite fond of it...but then again, you are the one with the so-called "GT500 tribute" on an new edge body, and i think that looks horrid IMO...

but to each his own...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I dont think its a problem with the sidewall height as he has to go with a given one to match the diameter overall. I think there is to much tire sidewall on the front and it messes with how the rear looks~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Looks good !!!! Thomas91169 is from the tree hugger/hippie state, So just ignore his comments as most of us do

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I dont think its a problem with the sidewall height as he has to go with a given one to match the diameter overall. I think there is to much tire sidewall on the front and it messes with how the rear looks~
yea, that i can agree with...i don't really like those tires on the front, but i have had them for a while now (they used to be on the rear), but i am trying to wear them out so i can get rid of them and go with something a little different...they are Nexen 3000 (a fairly cheap ZR 18" tire) which is all i could afford at the time...i am probably going to put a 275/40/18 on that front tire which will reduce the side wall size some which will even out the front and rears a bit more...while still maintaing pretty close to the stock diameter...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good, but I kind of see where Thomas is coming from, but only on the back and I'm not going to be some ubber critic and all but call you a moron... Ok so I don't agree with that malaria causing Thomas... I do think the rear tires should be wider, but I ALSO understand that if you went wider you'd probably be getting a tad more sidewall thus throwing off the whole calibration thing with the speedo and so on... I do however think 19 x 10's and 19 x 9's would have looked better.. But as you say to each his own.. Your car, your supposed to be happy with it
Old 08-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Looks good, but I kind of see where Thomas is coming from, but only on the back and I'm not going to be some ubber critic and all but call you a moron... Ok so I don't agree with that malaria causing Thomas... I do think the rear tires should be wider, but I ALSO understand that if you went wider you'd probably be getting a tad more sidewall thus throwing off the whole calibration thing with the speedo and so on... I do however think 19 x 10's and 19 x 9's would have looked better.. But as you say to each his own.. Your car, your supposed to be happy with it
the problem with it is that the side walls on the front tire makes the side walls on the back tires look smaller than they really are...my intention is to use up what's left of those tires on the front and then put a shorter side-walled tire on the front (maybe a 255/40), i havent really decided on the side yet, but that will balance out the car a lot more along with lowering the front a little more than the rear...i didn't see the point in tossing the 255/45's that are on the front's right now because they are still perfectly good tires (>75% tread) so I am just going to live with it for now...at least until the imbalance starts to bug me too much lol...
Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I tried to look at just the back, like in your pics, but still just seem like there should be a wider tire there...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
in order to match the stock diameter as not to require tuning for the change in tire size...you can thank ford for putting a strange size wheels/tires on the 197
i dont think the additional 15mm difference in sidewall is going to be that big of a deal, might throw your speedo off by a variation of 5mph at 100mph+, not like slapping in 4.1's and not changing anything.

Quote:
and the front tires don't "bulge" at all, i'm not quite sure what planet you're on...you are aware that thre are two different size wheels on the car, correct?
im on the planet that notices the small things that tend to change the overall look drastically. i didnt mean a actual buldge per-se (as in, sticking a 315mm wide on a 10" rim would give), however i was trying to be pretty general about the look. i am fully aware you had different sizes....

Quote:
l why did you go with 30's out back and 45's up front?
Quote:
so while you may not like or they may "bulge" to you, most others seems to be quite fond of it...but then again, you are the one with the so-called "GT500 tribute" on an new edge body, and i think that looks horrid IMO...
id like to know who most others that like mis-matched tire sidewalls are, especially a reverse mismatch of sidewall heights.

thanks for being yet another ******bag who has to bring in my car to the discussion as a last resort. sadly the trend im noticing, its all 05+ owners who throw this in my face.

however if you like it, thats dandy.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i dont think the additional 15mm difference in sidewall is going to be that big of a deal, might throw your speedo off by a variation of 5mph at 100mph+, not like slapping in 4.1's and not changing anything.

im on the planet that notices the small things that tend to change the overall look drastically. i didnt mean a actual buldge per-se (as in, sticking a 315mm wide on a 10" rim would give), however i was trying to be pretty general about the look. i am fully aware you had different sizes....

id like to know who most others that like mis-matched tire sidewalls are, especially a reverse mismatch of sidewall heights.

thanks for being yet another ******bag who has to bring in my car to the discussion as a last resort. sadly the trend im noticing, its all 05+ owners who throw this in my face.

however if you like it, thats dandy.
actually, to be completely honest with you, i am not a ****** bag at all, and the reason that i don't like your car is because i don't like any "tribute" cars, i think its pointless to try to make you car like something it will never be...you can ask any of the guys/girls on here that i am good friends with, including Bullitt, Lowflyn, Aidan, I don't say a whole lot about other peoples' stuff, and I am very soft-spoken about most things and I take peoples' opinions and criticism quite well, but you, my firend, need to learn a little tact, which is the exact reason i brought your car into things...

when you are going to criticize someone else's "work of art", if you will, you don't start out by saying "that's horrid" as you so eloquently put it...if you will notice, a few others have made similar posts as yours, and i completely agree with the imbalance in sidewall heights, which i am in the process of taking care of, but they did it tastefully...while saying that they like it but maybe i should try this or that...they didn't just say "eww that sucks, that's garbage, blah blah blah"....you can feel free to dislike my setup all you want (and i am not satisfied with it at this point either), but when you criticize someone, you do it constructively...or at least that's what i thought forum's such as these were all about?

and for you to then call me a ****** bag really shows your true colors...you are that stereotypical "uber-nerd" that shields himself behind his keyboard acting big and bad...but again, im not going to get into this pissing contest with you...

my point is simply this: If you are going to criticize someone else's stuff, do it constructively...Give sound suggestions, don't just come up with stupid responses like "that looks like *****"...that's what this forum is all about...friendly suggestion and criticism...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

a drop with a lower sidewall front will help I think.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

^1 yea, thats what i was thinking of doing...

either that or just getting the 20x8.5's for the front for everyday type driving to match the 20's in the rear...ive never been a fan of anything bigger than an 18" rim, but I got the 20's for an awesome prize so i decided to take a chance...

and then trying to find another set 17 or 18inch wheels with some sticky tires to use only for track days and auto-x events...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I think the problem is that there the 2" difference in the front and back wheel heights is just too much. I think the only time the staggered look works well is when the sidewall heights (not overall tire heights) are at least somewhat close to the same.

I would agree that your best bet is to either get 20s for the front or 18s for the back, because I don't think they make a 19" Bullitt wheel. Could be wrong though.

Maybe you should try going with a 275/40 up front (like you said) and a 305/30 out back. That is close to the stock tire height of 27.25" anyway. The tires you have now are only 26.73", while the 305/30 would be 27.20". That's damn near stock. For comparison, your 255/45s up front are 27.04".

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

thats the problem with a 20x10" wheel...there is a big gap in readily available tire sizes for 20" wheels, and they cost a bundle as it is...there isn't a whole lot of choice for tires between 285/30 and 315/30 for a 20" wheel...at least not very much for the type of performance tire i want...there are very few really nice high performance tires in a 295/30 or 305/30 without paying a ridiculous amount of money for them...which is why i opted for the 285/30 as i was thinking the 315/30 would be a bit much as i planned to lower the car...

so I think I am going to see if i can get another good deal for the two matching 20x8.5" bullitts for the front (they don't make 19" bullitts as you said)...and then just get another set of wheels with sticky's on them to use at the track and autox...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Yeah, I had the same problem buying tires too. I really wanted to run 10" wheels all the way around with 295/40/18s, which are the stock height. But I couldn't find any and went with 285/40/18s on 9" wheels instead.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I think it looks pretty good, I am starting to think there is a DD epidemic taking place acrossed Mustang land. I have been eyeing up rims lately since I got my new 2001 GT and man everyone is getting the DD rims. And I can appreciate you wanna wear off your front tires too before shelling out more $$$. This day and time money is not a commodity anymore, its how much will get you through to the next week considering gas prices and such. And as we all know our daily driving pleasures are not gas loving, they are more our pleasure toys and we dont think about that too often when purchasing one.

IMO: You wanna consider getting some tint on your windows, maybe some slotted rotors or hell just paint the callipers. I hate seeing the wide open rims and then the bare stock rotors/brakes with no pizzazz to them.

Nice car in deed!
KrazyPony is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires