Getting new rims soon, which do you like better? Anthracite VS. Chrome FR500's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02
Getting new rims soon, which do you like better? Anthracite VS. Chrome FR500's

Hey there! As most of you probably know, I have a '02 Mineral Gray GT. I am planning on buying new rims and tires sometime in early '08 and have decided that I definitely want to go with FR500's (vs. the Cobra rims that I previously wanted, which I still love). Having a mineral gray GT (which I have REALLY grown to love the color), do you guys think I should go chrome or anthracite?? I loooove Chrome, I have to say that first, but I think they both look great. I was surprised after researching and looking at a lot of pictures how good the chrome looks with mineral gray. I also love the anthracite almost just as much. Please let me know what you think!

There are links below with both styles.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

**Anthracite VS. Chrome FR500's**
FR500 rims on 2 '02 Mineral Gray Mustang GT's:

Anthracite:
Fr-500 lowered '02 beast w/ Flowmasters, BBK throtle body, steeda, fast as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrome:
2002 Mineral Grey GT, FR500 wheels, lots of mods

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Getting new rims soon, which do you like better? Anthracite VS. Chrome FR500's

Chrome ftw, go dd in the rear though, I've fallen in love with mine.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02
Re: Getting new rims soon, which do you like better? Anthracite VS. Chrome FR500's

yeah, i definitely wanna go dd in the rear. thinking i'm lovin' the chrome choice the most so far!

another question would be: should i go with 17's or 18's with rims and tires? 18's are a lot more $$ w/ getting new tires too, but hmmm. i'm not sure yet.

which brand of tires do y'all think? i think i'm going with nitto's so far, but i'm not totally sure yet.

MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

chrome x10000

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

if you got the 17", would you feel disappointed and wished you should have went 18"? that extra inch might look a bit nicer, but it requires an extra hundred every time you change tires... which in retrospect might not be that much if you dont go through tires very often.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

The extra cost is worth it to me, I love the look of 18's. I need to post some pics of my new dd's.
Our's:
Old 12-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

17's because they are the same height as the 18's when you put tires on them and it provides more sidewall than an 18 would and it saves dough when buying tires.

Once the car is lowered, the 17s will look just as good as the 18's.

I'm not going to chime in on color...but 17s really should be the way you go.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

18's look much better. They look like what the car should come factory with.

I will provide pics if needed.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Side by side, 18's look the same as 17s...and side by side, 18's are the same height as 17s...therefore, it is pure mental preference as to which looks better and whether you want the "bling" factor that comes from running 18s or not. An 18 will get you a shorter sidewall...that's about it. :dunno:
Old 12-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Side by side, 18's look the same as 17s...and side by side, 18's are the same height as 17s...therefore, it is pure mental preference as to which looks better and whether you want the "bling" factor that comes from running 18s or not. An 18 will get you a shorter sidewall...that's about it. :dunno:
I agree some people can't tell much of a difference between the two, while others I have talked to say it feels out my wheel wells better. From 75 FT you can't tell a size difference.

Here are some pics for referrence. Keep in mind that my old rears have Nitto 315/35/17 DR's mounted on the factory 9" wide wheels so they bulge a little. My new rears are 10.5" wide so they don't bulge.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Just for reference....Notice the diameter size...the 17" is actually taller than the 18...so yeah. (calculations based on using a 17x9 and 18x9" rim...however, same holds true for 315 tires)

275/45 17s
Sidewall: 4.3"
Radius: 12.8"
Diameter: 25.7"
Circumference: 80.6"
Revs/Mile: 786.0

275/35 18s:
Sidewall: 3.8"
Radius: 12.8"
Diameter: 25.6"
Circumference: 80.4"
Revs/Mile: 788.0

And in case you feel like messing around with it on your own....Tire size calculator

The only way to get the 18 to fill the wheel well more is to use a taller tire...say a 40 or 45 sidewall if you can find one...and which point you will then be using tires larger than stock size and will need to make adjustments to your speedometer and odometer. For the record, a 40 sidewall would make the tire another inch taller...and would take up whole a half inch more of the wheel well area.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

^Your thinking in terms of actually filling in space more, but we're talking about filling the space taken with more metal and less rubber. Like Bunt said you could throw some 15's or 16's on and put some 55's or 60's on them and take up just as much space, but it would still look out of place with that much sidewall. A 275/35 on a 18 looks much better than a 275/40 on a 17. Look at the second picture I posted. Saying it fills the wheelwells better is just an expression meaning theres less gap (and rubber) between the wheels and finders, not the tires and finders.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^^ They are still just bling. And the extra 1/2 of metal that ends up in the wheel well really doesn't make that much of a visual difference in my mind.

However, since people that like bling style are never going to agree with those that are more about function vs investment....there is no sense arguing over 17 vs 18.

The point of the thread is chrome vs anthrecite. I'm not chiming in on this as I am letting her make her own decision on that as she is the primary user of the car. I'm letting her make it look how she wants, and she is letting me suggest the performance changes.

So, we will agree to disagree. In my mind, 18s are nothing more than bling factor and serve no other purpose. You and useless statement boy and others feel 18s are a wise investment in the looks department. That is y'alls choice just like it is mine that 17s are the better choice.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

^ Bigger wheels means more room for bigger brakes. Both smaller and bigger wheels have their advantages. A little bling factor is good. It makes you appretiate your ride more. You can just stand back from it and look at it and say, "Damn that thing looks good."
Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Like I said...we'll have to agree to disagree.

I have no problem standing back and saying damn, my car looks good...nor having pride in it.

Now...ntopic: Chrome vs Anthracite on mineral gray.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

On Mineral gray I would get Anthracite before Chrome.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

well, thanks for your input everyone! i appreciate everyone's comments.

as for the finish on the rims, after a lot of thinking about what i really want and looking at a TON of pictures (and lots of mineral gray stangs), i think i'm gonna go with the chrome fr500's (dd in the rear). pics coming as soon as i get them! i can't wait!!!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

So here are the other rims I am trying to decide between (these 2003 style Chrome Cobra rims and the chrome fr500's)...I am about 99% sold on the chrome fr500's, but I still looooove these and maybe I'm still not sure quite yet...hmmm....

What do you guys think?

2 '02 Mineral Gray Mustang GTs with Chrome Cobra Rims

02 Mineral Gray Mustang GT/ Cobra R

2002 Mineral Grey Mustang GT Steeda Custom

Old 12-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I think the chrome 18" FR500s look great on the car in the original post.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I think those are the ones I like best too.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I think you should got with the chrome 18" fr500's also. If you are worried about the few extra bucks for tires, buy a civic and be done with it.
slostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

haha brad...no civic for me boy!! lol

i didn't say i was worried about the extra $$ to go with 18's, i was just saying that i wasn't sure if i should go with 17's or 18's with getting new rims.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

I think either is fine. 18 look better.

more side wall - smoother ride, less corner response

more rim - more corner response, rougher ride.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

I love my 18's...it's not that much more for tires. And I like the bling factor yo.
Our's:
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I love my 18's...it's not that much more for tires. And I like the bling factor yo.
+1 for the bling factor dawg!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm gonna try and pull these pics off my camera with the 18's on the new car...little more sidewall than I wanted on the back but it turned out pretty good.
Our's:
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good! Thanks guys.

So, pretty much everyone is thinkin' I should go chrome FR500 vs. the chrome (2003 style) Cobras?? Those are hot as well, I have to say. Either way, do you guys agree on getting them from AmericanMuscle.com?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I would check ebay first... I ordered my last set of repro's from there and got a really good deal on them.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

I got mine from discount tire direct..the rears that is. Competitive pricing, get the tires and wheels mounted for free, and fast shipping.
Our's:
Old 12-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

nice! thanks so much guys!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Great choice. I'm sure you'll love them.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Another thing to think about is tire rotation. I actually decided not to get 18x10 in the back and just ordered 18x9 all the way around. I do love the look of the deep dish wheels, but then again you can't rotate your tires now that you have two different diameters. My car still looks clean and has a very aggresssive stance sitting on some nice TOYO rubber.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Well, I like your car, but I have to say that I'm definitely going DD in the rear. I'm still between chrome fr500's and chrome cobra wheels ('03 style), but it's going to look really good either way, so I'm excited to get that done soon!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

they dont make dd in 03 cobra style so if you want dd rims you will have to go with another type of rim.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #35
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
they dont make dd in 03 cobra style so if you want dd rims you will have to go with another type of rim.
Yes they do...they just released them around november. They are out on SVTP and modular in a thread or 10. I think they look awful.

As for rotation....man, I wish I could keep enough rubber on the tires to let me rotate them. lol. As it is, the fronts would end up being slicks.

EDIT: Looks like people complained enough about the design that they scrapped the initial offering and are going to attempt it again so it actually hasn't been released yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires