nitrogen instead of regular air - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
nitrogen instead of regular air

Anyone try filling their tires with nitrogen? I read that it increases gas mileage by 5-15% can anyone confirm this and or tell me how much of a difference in ride quality I guess you can say if any difference
93_347foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_347foxbody
Anyone try filling their tires with nitrogen? I read that it increases gas mileage by 5-15% can anyone confirm this and or tell me how much of a difference in ride quality I guess you can say if any difference
I'm interested in this answer as well. How are refills? I don't know many places around me that have nitrogen refills.
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
i dont see how all nitrogen would be much different since airs already 70% nitrogen
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: nitrogen instead of regular air

Oxygen particles when heated move faster causing greater pressure, which is why you are supposed to check the psi of your tires when cold, because they expand when you drive due to the friction of the road... Nitrogen doesn't do the same thing that air does, it takes a lot more heat for the nitrogen to heat up and move faster, hence less psi change in your tires when driving. This makes it so your tire pressure stays the same at all times.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
Oxygen particles when heated move faster causing greater pressure, which is why you are supposed to check the psi of your tires when cold, because they expand when you drive due to the friction of the road... Nitrogen doesn't do the same thing that air does, it takes a lot more heat for the nitrogen to heat up and move faster, hence less psi change in your tires when driving. This makes it so your tire pressure stays the same at all times.
Aren't you 17? You little smarty.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Waste of time and money, even in a motorcycle tire the diff is very minimal. Minimal enough where Moto GP, AMA and WSB use only over 100*
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Waste of time and money, even in a motorcycle tire the diff is very minimal. Minimal enough where Moto GP, AMA and WSB use only over 100*
Yea it won't really make much of a difference considering that air is 70% oxygen... I was just explaining what the difference between the 2 would be.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Aren't you 17? You little smarter.
Its all basic Chemistry (Funny cause i hated that class with all my heart)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea it won't really make much of a difference considering that air is 70% oxygen... I was just explaining what the difference between the 2 would be.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Well good for you! I hated chemistry lol.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Well good for you! I hated chemistry lol.
I took AP Chemistry my Sophomore year (worst decision of my life) and struggled so bad, i got a decent grade 1st quarter but not so good 3rd quarter... I ended up taking 1 term of regular chem this year because of that 3rd quarter i didn't do so great in... Now Physics i like, that was a really fun class.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

All good bro! Just hate to see ppl spend money for air lol always good to have the science to back up the hear say of whats been read
Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota

When nitrogen became the newest greatest thing I called my dad and asked him what he thought... He is a retired Chemistry/Physics/Calculus teacher. His reply was basically this:

"Even though our atmosphere is comprised of approximately 78% nitrogen, it is the remaining 22% that is of concern in this matter. You see, nitrogen is a rather large molecule compared to many of the other minor gasses. By removing the smaller elements from the tire, you have effectively reduced the possibility of the other gasses from escaping from around the tire bead or valve stem. You know how tires deflate in the winter? Well son, that's nitrogen that's left in there, because the rest of the smaller gasses escaped when it got cold. Now that I think about it, there is what is referred to as "permeation" which is the passage of air in minute amounts straight through the tread and side walls of the tire. Again, in this case, it is the smaller diameter gasses that are being released. Yes, I can see how pure nitrogen would be beneficial."

He also mentioned something similar to what Soccer said above in regards to how nitrogen is less effected by heat than the smaller sized gasses. Thereby limiting increased tire pressure that would be caused by the heat generated by the flex of the tire as it rolls down the road... or something like that....

He also said that oxygen causes rubber to decay, and promotes rust on steel wheels, and corrosion on alloys. By removing the oxygen you can prevent wheels from rusting from the inside out. Have you ever taken a tire off of a wheel and seen flakes of rust fall out? I have...

Anyway, I'm just sayin'... it's what he told me... He also was quick to remind me that he owns three air compressors and wouldn't spend a cent on nitrogen... he can fill his own damn tires for next to nothing.

At that time, the Goodyear store in Aberdeen South Dakota was charging $15 per tire for a nitrogen fill...
Old 05-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I think that just answered everyone's question lol
Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It makes sense but like your Dad, I can fill my tires myself for nothing and also I've never kept a set of wheels long enough to see the corrode.

But here's one thing that is fact that your Dad missed. Plasti-Dip is even better then nitrogen! Fill your tires with Plasti-Dip and see you tire life extended by 14 years and your gas milage increase by over 30+ mpg. The only down side is, nobody can see how cool the inside of your tires will look!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It makes sense but like your Dad, I can fill my tires myself for nothing and also I've never kept a set of wheels long enough to see the corrode.

But here's one thing that is fact that your Dad missed. Plasti-Dip is even better then nitrogen! Fill your tires with Plasti-Dip and see you tire life extended by 14 years and your gas milage increase by over 30+ mpg. The only down side is, nobody can see how cool the inside of your tires will look!
I was just thinking that!!!! I mean Plasti Dip makes everything look and last longer!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

This whole green revolution is marketing at its finest. It would cost a lot of money to get pure nitrogen in your tires. Its a marketing ploy. Even toyota is selling brand new cars with nitrogen already, another cash grab when the person wants to refill.

People are so quick to listen to marketing but every single time i try something i do the math and see how much you really save. Even if there was an obvious advantage you could probably break even after cost of nitrogen. Also it doesnt help the wear of the tire any different than normal air. Most likely people will put off refilling nitrogen because of the cost which would result in worse mileage and tread wear from underinflated tires!

I love how people are spending $30k+ on hybrids and electrics....i was driving an old pathfinder that got 16mpg .....but $0 in car payments. If you want to save money just get an old car and spend more on gas!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's marketing like you said. Look at the volt. They show distance on battery with no radio no heater or AC running and then takes 10 hours to charge and how much does that increase your monthly electric bill? No one ever says.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I am 16 and just finished Chemistry. It was probably my least favorite class of all time.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Save your money.
yugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

i got nitrogen in my tires. where do i get refills when i need it ?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have nitrogen in my tires for 1 reason only, it was free haha I got my wheels from American muscle and bought a wheel and tire package so they were mounted and balanced free and filled with nitrogen free, when they need to be refilled I'm just using air haha
Crafty615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty615
I have nitrogen in my tires for 1 reason only, it was free haha I got my wheels from American muscle and bought a wheel and tire package so they were mounted and balanced free and filled with nitrogen free, when they need to be refilled I'm just using air haha
thats the same reason i have nitrogen cuz i got it from AM. but can u just refil it with air ?

Low2v
Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
thats the same reason i have nitrogen cuz i got it from AM. but can u just refil it with air ?
Its probably already regular air lol who can tell. If nitrogen had a distinct odour this whole scam would easily be weeded out.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

Its probably already regular air lol who can tell. If nitrogen had a distinct odour this whole scam would easily be weeded out.
very true

Low2v
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

^ never know what this guy is gonna say! lol
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
You can just refill them with air. The tire shop I buy all my tires from only does nitrogen and they refill them for free. I always start with nitrogen and end up on just air, because for some reason the nitrogen filled tires loose pressure faster in the high heat of summer where I live and it is a pain to drive to the shop to fill my tires when I have an air compressor at home.
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK View Post
I am 16 and just finished Chemistry. It was probably my least favorite class of all time.
Isn't it everyone's least favorite class??
Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I hate to be the weird one here but I loved chemistry. Especially high school chemistry. We played with fire or fire related things almost the entire time and we got an intro to physics.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

FiRE FIRE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1457615363.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	52147  

Low2v
Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #29

Only i know its for decrease the weight of tires but i think its not useful because no big difference
Moji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
cobra replicas

Im looking at a set of cobra replicas for my 87 lx. im thinking 17x9 in the front and 17x10 in the rear. the problem is that someone told me they are not strong enough for road raceing ??
87lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomo2 View Post
I hate to be the weird one here but I loved chemistry. Especially high school chemistry. We played with fire or fire related things almost the entire time and we got an intro to physics.
We never got to do that... All we ever did was take notes, now me and some others did play with a little bit of fire in Physics
Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John
When nitrogen became the newest greatest thing I called my dad and asked him what he thought... He is a retired Chemistry/Physics/Calculus teacher. His reply was basically this:

"Even though our atmosphere is comprised of approximately 78% nitrogen, it is the remaining 22% that is of concern in this matter. You see, nitrogen is a rather large molecule compared to many of the other minor gasses. By removing the smaller elements from the tire, you have effectively reduced the possibility of the other gasses from escaping from around the tire bead or valve stem. You know how tires deflate in the winter? Well son, that's nitrogen that's left in there, because the rest of the smaller gasses escaped when it got cold. Now that I think about it, there is what is referred to as "permeation" which is the passage of air in minute amounts straight through the tread and side walls of the tire. Again, in this case, it is the smaller diameter gasses that are being released. Yes, I can see how pure nitrogen would be beneficial."

He also mentioned something similar to what Soccer said above in regards to how nitrogen is less effected by heat than the smaller sized gasses. Thereby limiting increased tire pressure that would be caused by the heat generated by the flex of the tire as it rolls down the road... or something like that....

He also said that oxygen causes rubber to decay, and promotes rust on steel wheels, and corrosion on alloys. By removing the oxygen you can prevent wheels from rusting from the inside out. Have you ever taken a tire off of a wheel and seen flakes of rust fall out? I have...

Anyway, I'm just sayin'... it's what he told me... He also was quick to remind me that he owns three air compressors and wouldn't spend a cent on nitrogen... he can fill his own damn tires for next to nothing.

At that time, the Goodyear store in Aberdeen South Dakota was charging $15 per tire for a nitrogen fill...
Wow
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Wow is right, $15.00 a wheel, too high for the help. It is good for the pressure monitor
system as the rust effect is reduced. Motor Trend Magazine show.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #34
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

Well unless you plan on being a botanist, med, or veterinary major. You probably will never have have to take it again.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

Haha! Too funny. Plastidip for the win! How many cans does a tire?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Well unless you plan on being a botanist, med, or veterinary major. You probably will never have have to take it again.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Haha! Too funny. Plastidip for the win! How many cans does a tire?
Engineering majors had to take it at my college too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires