Tire Pressure? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tire Pressure?

I know this question is probably already been discussed, but what is ideal for tire pressure on the street on 275/35/18 tires? Max on my tire says 50 and I'm currently only running about 35 so I'm just trying to get info. Also what do you guys/gals think about Nitrogen in the tires? I know a few places that say they do it and it lasts much longer? Thanks

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Tire Pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
Also what do you guys/gals think about Nitrogen in the tires? I know a few places that say they do it and it lasts much longer? Thanks

Our GT has nitrogen in the tires...sure, they tell you to do it so they can charge you $10 per tire to fill up when your tires are running low. You can't just add air, it becomes volatile according to all the shops we asked about it.

So, if you are running low on pressure on a long trip...you're SOL if you can't find a shop.

I don't like the idea personally.

Oh, also, if you were to change your mind down the road, you have to replace your tires due to the residue left inside....unless you make sure to clean the entire inner area to assure no nitro is left.

PErsonally, I like the idea of just driving up to a gas station and putting air in my tires at will...or having a portable pump. Much simpler in my mind.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I thought it was a little too much for the nitro. Coming from a science background I see the logic. Nitrogen can make 3 bonds and oxygen can only make two, thus nitrogen might not leak as quickly, but for $10 a tire I like good ole 02. What about pressure? What do you suggest I put in them. I don't race, just drive every day about 30-50 miles so I want the best fuel economy I can get and I don't want my tires to wear quickly.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

32-35 psi is typical for a street tire...

As for Nitrogen, it supposedly does a lot of things...such as improve wear, gas mileage, ride quality, fewer flats, etc...

I have found that nitrogen does minimally better than using standard air...its a little bit more expensive but i guess the idea is to "ease" your mind about your tires...it's really a personal decision/opinion about the nitrogen thing for most people...

The funny thing about it is that the air we breathe is composed of mostly nitrogren, 80-90% I believe? although that might be a bit on the high/low side...So as far as making a volatile mixture with air/nitrogen in your tires, that would be complete b.s...but whether or not to go with nitrogen only in the tires is really up to you...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

The best way to decide what pressure to run in your particular tires and for your driving habits is to just keep an eye on the tire wear. If you notice it wearing more in the middle than the outside edges then lower the pressure, if it wears more on the outside edges than the inside add some. Just mess with it till you figure it out. Personally, my fronts are set around 39 and my rears are around 32...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

33-34psi on those tires
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
33-34psi on those tires
It depends on what tire it is...

My BFG G-force sports like more pressure, you run them at 33-34 and you're gonna have no wear on the center line..
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
32-35 psi is typical for a street tire...

As for Nitrogen, it supposedly does a lot of things...such as improve wear, gas mileage, ride quality, fewer flats, etc...

I have found that nitrogen does minimally better than using standard air...its a little bit more expensive but i guess the idea is to "ease" your mind about your tires...it's really a personal decision/opinion about the nitrogen thing for most people...

The funny thing about it is that the air we breathe is composed of mostly nitrogren, 80-90% I believe? although that might be a bit on the high/low side...So as far as making a volatile mixture with air/nitrogen in your tires, that would be complete b.s...but whether or not to go with nitrogen only in the tires is really up to you...

It sounded like BS to me too, but, that is what they told us. 3 different shops would not fill the tires with O2 because the had nitrogen in them first. When we called to check it out first, they said do not put any regular air in there no matter what. Every shop we called said that.

Personally...I thought it was retarded to put nitrogen in there in the first place, but we bought the car like that.

Either way $10 per tire is enough to convince me not to go nitrogen in any of my tires....I don't get **** for life out of a set anyhow...no sense wasting extra mod money. lol
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

I run my tires at 36 PSI Rougher ride but better fuel mileage

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

true. keep an eye on the wear and adjust accordingly. Wear in the middle drop air wear on the sides add air.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires