Pros and Cons to Wider Rear Tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Pros and Cons to Wider Rear Tires?

So I want to have standard sized tires in the front, but I want to run wider tires in the rear for the look,performance, etc. However I'm not fully knowledgeable when it comes to wheels. So what's my best setup and what are the pros and cons of that setup?
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
What size are your front tires? What size wheels are you wanting to use?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Everything is stock. but I'm thinking I could get staggered wheels with 10 in. In the back. AM has got some pretty sweet deals! Like I said, I'm not too knowledgeable about wheels and tires. So I want them basically for looks and probably 0-60 0-100 times over handling. However I don't want to throw away my handling all together at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wider tires won't necessarily help your 0-60 times. Keep in mind, you're adding a lot of weight with 10" wheels and the bigger tires. That might be more traction than you need and ultimately slow you down. You will also get more oversteer (push) with a staggered setup, so keep that in mind as well.

Oh, and this should go without saying, but you can not rotate tires at all on a staggered setup, so a perfect alignment is critical.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Also, with wider tires (in general) you will also experience a greater degree of tram-lining.
'12 Kona GT Prem,6MT,Brembo,3.73,Glass roof,comf. pkg,HID,Nav,Steeda Tri-ax,JHR:shift brckt,mtr mounts&clutch line;Airaid CAI/BAMA tune,Redline MTL,JLT Oil Sep(both sides),Eibach Pro-kit/Koni Sports,Steeda:HD strut mounts,adj front swaybar&billet mounts,rear swaybar&endlinks,X11 ball joints,bumpsteer kit,Watt's link,adj UCA/ mount;Spohn del-sphere/poly adj LCAs,BMR LCA relo brckt,FRPP jounce bmprs,Forgestar F14 Matte Black 19x9/19x11,Michelin Pilot SS 255/40/19//295/35/19,Borla S Catback,more
12gtpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer
Everything is stock. but I'm thinking I could get staggered wheels with 10 in. In the back. AM has got some pretty sweet deals! Like I said, I'm not too knowledgeable about wheels and tires. So I want them basically for looks and probably 0-60 0-100 times over handling. However I don't want to throw away my handling all together at all!
Is you're going for looks then go for it, but as stated above, it is not the most practical.

Also about the wheels, stock wheels come in a few sizes, 18x8, 19.8.5, and 19x9. The more info the better we'll be able to help you, see if you can find the size or at the very least post a pic do that we know

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Along with possible performance loss, you lose money since you won't be able to rotate your wheels
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Moved to mustang wheels and tires section.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Is you're going for looks then go for it, but as stated above, it is not the most practical.

Also about the wheels, stock wheels come in a few sizes, 18x8, 19.8.5, and 19x9. The more info the better we'll be able to help you, see if you can find the size or at the very least post a pic do that we know
I wish I could give you a picture or more details, but I don't quite own this car yet (soon hopefully!). But then what is your recommendation for general performance? I think 19" are a good size as well. I'm not a huge fan of 20's.. they just start getting too ghetto and 19" seems to be a great compromise!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
I wish I could give you a picture or more details, but I don't quite own this car yet (soon hopefully!). But then what is your recommendation for general performance? I think 19" are a good size as well. I'm not a huge fan of 20's.. they just start getting too ghetto and 19" seems to be a great compromise!
Actually, 20s look great on these cars and 19s are the compromise. Tires are usually cheaper for the 20s since it's a more common size than 19s, and you actually have better options available.

Go check out what size wheels the Roush RS3 and Shelby GT500 have in the rear. You might be surprised.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Actually, 20s look great on these cars and 19s are the compromise. Tires are usually cheaper for the 20s since it's a more common size than 19s, and you actually have better options available.

Go check out what size wheels the Roush RS3 and Shelby GT500 have in the rear. You might be surprised.
Is 20" going to start compromising comfort or performance? Cheaper? Mmm..might have to look into this!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
Is 20" going to start compromising comfort or performance? Cheaper? Mmm..might have to look into this!
Well the tires can be cheaper, but the wheels are more expensive. You can still get 20" wheels with good tires that will perform well. There is a bit more harshness from the shorter sidewall, but that should be obvious.

The problem with 19s is that the tires are stupid expensive, and the availability sucks. Everything is too narrow to be useful, too wide to fit any tire on a S197, or too expensive to be practical.

Honestly, I still think that 18x9s all around or with 18x10s is the best way to go, but that's because I pretty much only care about performance. If you look at my sigpic I have 18x9s with NT05 275/40/18s up front and 18x10s with NT05R 305/45/R18s out back. Some say the wheels look too small, but I'm really not concerned with looking "blingy" and attracting attention to myself.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
If you look at my sigpic I have 18x9s with NT05 275/40/18s up front and 18x10s with NT05R 305/45/R18s out back. Some say the wheels look too small, but I'm really not concerned with looking "blingy" and attracting attention to myself.
No, your wheel/tire combo just enhances the classic look. I always think '65 fastback when I see your sig. It's a good look & different.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk

No, your wheel/tire combo just enhances the classic look. I always think '65 fastback when I see your sig. It's a good look & different.
Thanks! Ironically, since I strayed from the mainstream bling route, I ended up defeating my goal of not attracting attention since it looks "different."
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Yeah thats one of the reasons why I stuck with 18s.
Quote:
I know the 18s max out at 275s, not sure about 19/20s.
Quote:
Honestly, I still think that 18x9s all around or with 18x10s is the best way to go, but that's because I pretty much only care about performance.
Thats the other reason. Im building towards 18x9s (my stocks are 18x8.5s) w/ 275 rears, RS3-Ss in the summer, -As in the winter, w/ a 1.25" drop to rid most of the remaining gap.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

IMO, there is probably a curve here in this tire size vs benefit. As the tire gets wider, traction improves, weight increases due to overall mass, etc. As you size goes up, eventually, rate of improvement will get smaller and smaller. Also to consider is effects on your suspension. Is there a point in that curve where the suspension needs to be upgraded to handle the extra weight and forces that have increased throughout the suspension. There is probably a "magic" size for each of our generation of stangs that hits that "best over all".

IMO, I think 275's on 17x9's is the best median (over-all or multi-duty applications) for a New Edge. Obviously, this is an opinion as I have no data to back it up.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
[QUOTEOh, and this should go without saying, but you can not rotate tires at all on a staggered setup, so a perfect alignment is critical.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. My nitto motivos can be rotated side to side. Many staggered setups can be rotated this way.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Pro: they look badass
Con: cost you an arm and a leg for tires
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My car has staggered 18's in the back and regular 17's in the front. I love they way it looks. I honestly don't like the regular wheels on the rear of a mustang, it looks like there's something missing. But anyways here's a picture if it helps. Ignore all the filler, I'm fixing it up to paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-421984039.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	497.0 KB
ID:	70454  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U
Quote:
Oh, and this should go without saying, but you can not rotate tires at all on a staggered setup, so a perfect alignment is critical.
Wrong. My nitto motivos can be rotated side to side. Many staggered setups can be rotated this way.
Good for you and your motivos ... Lol
Old 09-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U
[QUOTEOh, and this should go without saying, but you can not rotate tires at all on a staggered setup, so a perfect alignment is critical.
Wrong. My nitto motivos can be rotated side to side. Many staggered setups can be rotated this way.[/QUOTE]

Rotating side to side really doesn't do much for you anyways. The same two tires are always turning and the other two same tires are always pushing the car. In order for it to really make a difference, the tires need to swap functions

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

^Some are only meant to rotate in one direction too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires