Wheel/Tire Question 17x9+24 offset - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wheel/Tire Question 17x9+24 offset

So my buddy came accross a pair of Cobra replica wheels in good condition that are 17x9 with a +24 offset. He's asking $60, and since they will strictly be used for the drags I wanted to throw a pair of DRs on for race day. I have been researching to see if this will work, but the guys at America's Tire said that for the "11 (GT) I really only have 1 option for a tire that will work without rubbing issues... the Nitto NT05R Drag Radial. I have not, and don't plan on lowering the car.
If I go with this set up, do any of the more experienced racers have similar concerns... is there a tire that is a better option for this wheel. Should I pass on this?

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I noticed Jegs has some 17 & 18 " Racemaster cheater slicks at about $250 each.

When my 13 Stang comes in a couple weeks I plan on ordering Cragars from Jegs and keeping the factory painted wheels to mount some race tires on maybe the M&H but the slicks will probably be in the spring time anyway.
Do you or anybody else know the backspace and offset on the factory 18" painted wheels on a 2013 ?

Good luck with your tires!
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to wheels & tires. Those seem like a good option. The guy at Americas Tire, (I'm not sure how credible his info is), says a 17" with a DR, cheater slicks or slicks may rub the fender or wheel well because the '11+ body style has "shallower" wheel clearance than the older body style.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0
No, I'm completely ignorant when it comes to wheels & tires. Those seem like a good option. The guy at Americas Tire, (I'm not sure how credible his info is), says a 17" with a DR, cheater slicks or slicks may rub the fender or wheel well because the '11+ body style has "shallower" wheel clearance than the older body style.

I would think most anything you can fit on a 9 inch wide rim would be ok. Espically on the rear.
Blu13stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu13stang

I would think most anything you can fit on a 9 inch wide rim would be ok. Espically on the rear.
For $60 how can I lose right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires