How can i update the wheels of my 2010 base mustang? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
I think hould want all season tires though.

You're in college now right?
So you probably drive the car year round
Yes,so I will choose all season tire.
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
T p m s might legally be needed. True, you can go without them, but in some places shops can not legallyet you drive without them. A k a, if you do anything with your tires, they may not do it without the sensors. Or, if you bring your car in, they will not let it leave without installing t p m s. Depends on the laws, and the area.

Please research thAT before you get yourself into a situation because of advice not precise for you.
Yes! That's another problem I need to consider.
So now there is a sensor on each tire, if I buy the tire from AM and then put them on my car, the original sensor will not work, that means, the tpms on my car will not work either.....I checked the owner's guide, but I can not understand it clearly...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
T p m s might legally be needed. True, you can go without them, but in some places shops can not legallyet you drive without them. A k a, if you do anything with your tires, they may not do it without the sensors. Or, if you bring your car in, they will not let it leave without installing t p m s. Depends on the laws, and the area.

Please research thAT before you get yourself into a situation because of advice not precise for you.
I think I need to explain a little more.
Now my car is already equipped with tpms, and it says that there is a sensor on each of the tire. Now I can not see the sensors unless I remove the tires. If there is anything wrong with the tire pressure, the warning lamp will turn on.
So if I change the new tires, and on the new tires there is no sensor, or the sensor does not match the tpms on my car, the tpms will not work? Am I right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I don't see why you couldn't drive without them. All they do is irritate me.

They're designed for people too lazy to check their tire pressure
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
The tire store who changed my stock wheels to aftermarket wheels took the sensors out of the stock wheels and put them in the aftermarket wheels. No charge. If that is the direction you want to go, prearrange the work with them. Don't let anyone sell you new sensors unless there is a definite need to. This advice came from the tire store I had do the work!
Konig wheels
Engine mods: none, why mess with perfection?
Wyomingstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Keep in mind, it MIGHT be legal to not use them in your area. I just want you to check before you spend your whole budget, and then they tell you they can't let you leave without some over priced stuff.

So you might be good without, you have to check your local laws.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I don't see why you couldn't drive without them. All they do is irritate me.

They're designed for people too lazy to check their tire pressure
Haha man, Don't be irritating, everyone have his own opinion.
So you mean I can drive without the tpms?
To be honest, when it comes to my vehicle, I am not lazy~because I love it. If I have the tool, I will check the tire pressure once a week.
I think I need it only because I do not want the warning lamp turn ON all the time...
Also one friend told me that tpms is not useful....
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
They can usually be switched over but sometimes break if theyre not new. Only buy if needed.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomingstang
The tire store who changed my stock wheels to aftermarket wheels took the sensors out of the stock wheels and put them in the aftermarket wheels. No charge. If that is the direction you want to go, prearrange the work with them. Don't let anyone sell you new sensors unless there is a definite need to. This advice came from the tire store I had do the work!
Thank you! But if I change the tire and wheel, I think I need new sensor if I replace them by myself.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Keep in mind, it MIGHT be legal to not use them in your area. I just want you to check before you spend your whole budget, and then they tell you they can't let you leave without some over priced stuff.

So you might be good without, you have to check your local laws.
I think I need to obey the law first...
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
You could always put the new wheels on and later on when you have a little extra money take it to a tire shop and they usually can reprogram the tpms to work again.
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyw428
You could always put the new wheels on and later on when you have a little extra money take it to a tire shop and they usually can reprogram the tpms to work again.
That's also a good solution. I think I need to make a plan...

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
They can usually be switched over but sometimes break if theyre not new. Only buy if needed.
You mean the sensrs?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

Haha man, Don't be irritating, everyone have his own opinion.
So you mean I can drive without the tpms?
To be honest, when it comes to my vehicle, I am not lazy~because I love it. If I have the tool, I will check the tire pressure once a week.
I think I need it only because I do not want the warning lamp turn ON all the time...
Also one friend told me that tpms is not useful....
It would be pissed at me all the time. I run my rears at 28 for normal street driving.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

It would be pissed at me all the time. I run my rears at 28 for normal street driving.
I am sorry I can not understand because some word is really confusing for me....
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I think he means the tpms would be goin off all the time cause he runs a lower pressure in his tires
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You mean the sensrs?
Yes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Keep in mid guys, he's buying a kit from AM

It'd be easier to get the sensors in and have everything come hole

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

*whole
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

*whole
Agreed if he can afford it, or if he could wait till he got the money saved up then not have to worry other than gettin them programed
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Wouldn't he need to adjust the speedo too?

Idk how he'd do that without a tuner
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

*whole
I bought wheels from AM w/out sensors and switched them over, saving $160.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Did you put them in yourself?

Or did you do it at a shop?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you put them in yourself?

Or did you do it at a shop?
I reused my stock tires so I had my dealer do it. Good thing too because they had to use the tirebuster at their Porsche shop because their standard one wouldve scratched my rims. If youve got painted 18" or larger wheels, be careful who you use.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wouldn't he need to adjust the speedo too?

Idk how he'd do that without a tuner
So maybe I would consider to do this in a tire shop.... I know changing a wheel and a tire is not hard and it is a good skill to study, but it may come with other problems...

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Agreed if he can afford it, or if he could wait till he got the money saved up then not have to worry other than gettin them programed
Haha , if I do not have enough money I will consider not to change the tire and wheel because security is first for a student like me....

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
I reused my stock tires so I had my dealer do it. Good thing too because they had to use the tirebuster at their Porsche shop because their standard one wouldve scratched my rims. If youve got painted 18" or larger wheels, be careful who you use.
So you means that the sensor now on my car may not fit the wheel from AM?
I think I will get 19" wheels.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So maybe I would consider to do this in a tire shop.... I know changing a wheel and a tire is not hard and it is a good skill to study, but it may come with other problems...

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Haha , if I do not have enough money I will consider not to change the tire and wheel because security is first for a student like me....

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

So you means that the sensor now on my car may not fit the wheel from AM?
I think I will get 19" wheels.
Go to the place that would do the work for you and ask them if they can install without t p m s sensors. If they do it without, get a written quote including them writing that you do not need sensors, as in a price with and a price without.

If they will do it without them, then do not.get them and do it yourself. Since that place does not do it, it would be unlikely it is legally needed in the area. I say this because I didn't notice you confirming or denying the legality of them in your area.

Oh, make sure your quote is free at first, some auto places try to rip off individuals not native to the US.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Go to the place that would do the work for you and ask them if they can install without t p m s sensors. If they do it without, get a written quote including them writing that you do not need sensors, as in a price with and a price without.

If they will do it without them, then do not.get them and do it yourself. Since that place does not do it, it would be unlikely it is legally needed in the area. I say this because I didn't notice you confirming or denying the legality of them in your area.

Oh, make sure your quote is free at first, some auto places try to rip off individuals not native to the US.
Haha, thank you! You thought a lot about this.
I have already asked the Firestone here, that man told me that they could help replace the tires and wheels, remove the sensor on my old tire and then put them on the new tire, make the alignment, all included. It will cost about 70 dollars. It is not a quote but they answered me paciently.
I think they will not rip off me because my friend went there several times.
but maybe alrefire will be disappointing...maybe I will not replace the wheels by myself...
And, my friend drive away without the tpms...so here is not legally needed.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha, thank you! You thought a lot about this.
I have already asked the Firestone here, that man told me that they could help replace the tires and wheels, remove the sensor on my old tire and then put them on the new tire, make the alignment, all included. It will cost about 70 dollars. It is not a quote but they answered me paciently.
I think they will not rip off me because my friend went there several times.
but maybe alrefire will be disappointing...maybe I will not replace the wheels by myself...
And, my friend drive away without the tpms...so here is not legally needed.
You might could ask them if they would care to show you how to change the wheels when you take your car, that way you can still learn how to.. I'm sure firestone wouldn't care to teach you
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You might could ask them if they would care to show you how to change the wheels when you take your car, that way you can still learn how to.. I'm sure firestone wouldn't care to teach you
Yea, that way you'll lean something
Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha man, you know me! That's what I want to do, too.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Yea, that way you'll lean something
To learn is always good!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I would get the two quotes in writing, so if in the future say you run codes and you get it checked for emissions, r something crazy happens, you have a scape goat. BUT, i like to play better safe han sorry. If it doesn't seem to be needed in your area, then it sounds like you got your answer friend

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires