How can i update the wheels of my 2010 base mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
How can i update the wheels of my 2010 base mustang?

I have a 2010 base mustang, although it is a base edition, I like it very much. Now I want to upgrade its wheels.
Now the size of the wheel is 17 , and I want 19 wheels.
Could you give me a suggestion?
If I upgrade 4 wheels together with the tires, approximately how much will I cost?
Where can I buy the wheels and tires?
Thank you!
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
you can get a complete set from AM for about 1600 dollars, you could ge tthe 6 percent discount if you get 50 posts on here.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
you can get a complete set from AM for about 1600 dollars, you could ge tthe 6 percent discount if you get 50 posts on here.
Thank you! I also visited American Muscle.
There are about 1400 dollars include all wheels and tires.
But how can I put all the parts on my car? I can not do it.
And if I change all the wheels, do I need to change other parts such as brakes?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
LAS97GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spring Lake
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
you can get a complete set from AM for about 1600 dollars, you could ge tthe 6 percent discount if you get 50 posts on here.
Or military discount. Call first.
__________________
---Las97GT
LAS97GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT

Or military discount. Call first.
But I am not a soldier.....
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

Thank you! I also visited American Muscle.
There are about 1400 dollars include all wheels and tires.
But how can I put all the parts on my car? I can not do it.
And if I change all the wheels, do I need to change other parts such as brakes?
I can tell you're pretty new, but don't worry, you'll get the hang of modding.
You just need a torque wrench and a jack and 2 jack stands.
You don't have I replace anything.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Cruelly, I'm not gonna lie.

I started out illiterate
I couldn't put in a CAI
Grab a fiend that knows what they're doing and have them help you. You'll learn a lot of useful skills

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

*honestly
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

I can tell you're pretty new, but don't worry, you'll get the hang of modding.
You just need a torque wrench and a jack and 2 jack stands.
You don't have I replace anything.
You are right! To be honest, I am a student from china.
But I like mustang!
I really do not know how to do these things... So just now I am thinking to find a auto store here to help me do these things...
You mean I can replace the tires and wheels by myself? That's a big challenge for me....now we even do not have a garage...
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
fordfan100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 607
It's real easy just have a flat surface that you can put the car on jack stands with. Remove the old wheels with a lug wrench. There will be a little washer on one of the lugs remove that as well. Put new wheels on put your new lug nuts on and using your torque wrench torque them to 100 ft lbs. you will hear a click from the torque wrench if you set it to 100 ft lbs. drive 50 miles and check them again with your torque wrench. Easy as that.
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
You have two options, the first is going to American Muscle like suggested and buy a wheel and tire combo then take your car and your new wheels to a tire shop to be installed. I would suggest doing it with a friend like alrefire said because changing a tire is a good skill to have and its easy to learn. Your second option is to find a local wheel shop that does good work (look for online reviews and ask a friend) and buy new wheels and tires there. If you go that rout they will install them for you but they will probably be more expensive as well... but really, you should be able to do this with a friend that knows what he is doing.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100
It's real easy just have a flat surface that you can put the car on jack stands with. Remove the old wheels with a lug wrench. There will be a little washer on one of the lugs remove that as well. Put new wheels on put your new lug nuts on and using your torque wrench torque them to 100 ft lbs. you will hear a click from the torque wrench if you set it to 100 ft lbs. drive 50 miles and check them again with your torque wrench. Easy as that.
Sounds good! But I have no experience on repairing cars...and I also do not have the tools.
And what about the tire pressures? Do I need to fill air in the tires before I add them on? Or after I add them?
Thank you! I like this forum!
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

Sounds good! But I have no experience on repairing cars...and I also do not have the tools.
And what about the tire pressures? Do I need to fill air in the tires before I add them on? Or after I add them?
Thank you! I like this forum!
I think they come filled from Am
But you will need a tpms syncing tool as well
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
You have two options, the first is going to American Muscle like suggested and buy a wheel and tire combo then take your car and your new wheels to a tire shop to be installed. I would suggest doing it with a friend like alrefire said because changing a tire is a good skill to have and its easy to learn. Your second option is to find a local wheel shop that does good work (look for online reviews and ask a friend) and buy new wheels and tires there. If you go that rout they will install them for you but they will probably be more expensive as well... but really, you should be able to do this with a friend that knows what he is doing.
I like your first suggestion because I want to save money to buy more foods,haha.
I also want to do it with my friends because I want to learn how to replace wheels and tires!
Unfortunately...I do not have a friend like alrefire... My friends they do not familiar with repairing cars and we do not have tools...
Tomorrow I will have a exam, now I have to study!
I will check this post later!
Thank you very much!

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

I think they come filled from Am
But you will need a tpms syncing tool as well
I need so many tools...now I only have a screwdriver...+_+
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Haha it's fine, find a friend that has one.

Only thing I have is a torque wrench :p
If I need jacks I go to my friend
Or if I need an exhaust cutter I go to autozone :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
Haha it's fine, find a friend that has one.

Only thing I have is a torque wrench :p
If I need jacks I go to my friend
Or if I need an exhaust cutter I go to autozone :p
I think I have already find a friend who has a jack!
It is surprising that he has one!
But these days I was busy so I did not check the information online.
My friend told me that if I want to change the wheel and tire I must know the data of my car.
He told me that he was afraid that if I change a bigger wheel and tire, when I am drive on a road which is not flat, because of the shake on the vertical direction, the new wheels and tires will hit the fender of my car....
Do I need to consider this problem?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
What size tire are you getting?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
What size tire are you getting?
Good morning Alrefire! Now the tire is 17 and I want 19.
I think it should be fine because on AM it says that the tire and wheel fit all mustang, that would include 2010 base, is that right?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dub9stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Region: Illinois
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

Good morning Alrefire! Now the tire is 17 and I want 19.
I think it should be fine because on AM it says that the tire and wheel fit all mustang, that would include 2010 base, is that right?
AM is pretty damn good at making sure a part will fit. If they advertise it will fit 2010 mustangs, then it will. Unless you have done something like lowered your car.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9stang

AM is pretty damn good at making sure a part will fit. If they advertise it will fit 2010 mustangs, then it will. Unless you have done something like lowered your car.
Pretty damn good...a new word for me...that means it is very good?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dub9stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Region: Illinois
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

Pretty damn good...a new word for me...that means it is very good?
Yup. They are very good.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
Sad Panda
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405 View Post
Pretty damn good...a new word for me...that means it is very good?
looks to me like all your questions have been answered. ill just throw ya a welcome to a damn good mustang site
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel

looks to me like all your questions have been answered. ill just throw ya a welcome to a damn good mustang site
I think maybe I will have more question...
This forum is great! Everyone is kind hearted.
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
F4m0usfr34k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Region: Arizona
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

You are right! To be honest, I am a student from china.
But I like mustang!
I really do not know how to do these things... So just now I am thinking to find a auto store here to help me do these things...
You mean I can replace the tires and wheels by myself? That's a big challenge for me....now we even do not have a garage...
Another great learning tool.... Youtube haha u can most definitely look everything up on youtube! When looking for any mods for your car AmericanMuscle.com is the way to go good luck man were all here to help so ask ur heart away haha
__________________
*f4m0usfr34k*
F4m0usfr34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4m0usfr34k

Another great learning tool.... Youtube haha u can most definitely look everything up on youtube! When looking for any mods for your car AmericanMuscle.com is the way to go good luck man were all here to help so ask ur heart away haha
Haha that's right! I have already watch a video about how to change wheels, it is posted by a boy! He is really good!
Thank you for your help!
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100
It's real easy just have a flat surface that you can put the car on jack stands with. Remove the old wheels with a lug wrench. There will be a little washer on one of the lugs remove that as well. Put new wheels on put your new lug nuts on and using your torque wrench torque them to 100 ft lbs. you will hear a click from the torque wrench if you set it to 100 ft lbs. drive 50 miles and check them again with your torque wrench. Easy as that.
I think the torque wrench will not click when it reach 100ft lbs. what kind of torque wrench have such function?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100
It's real easy just have a flat surface that you can put the car on jack stands with. Remove the old wheels with a lug wrench. There will be a little washer on one of the lugs remove that as well. Put new wheels on put your new lug nuts on and using your torque wrench torque them to 100 ft lbs. you will hear a click from the torque wrench if you set it to 100 ft lbs. drive 50 miles and check them again with your torque wrench. Easy as that.
And could you explain a little about what is washer ?

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

I think they come filled from Am
But you will need a tpms syncing tool as well
The tpms tool is a little expensive... Is it necessary for me?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

I think the torque wrench will not click when it reach 100ft lbs. what kind of torque wrench have such function?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------



And could you explain a little about what is washer ?

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------



The tpms tool is a little expensive... Is it necessary for me?
Don't worry if it clicks or not, once you set it to 100 and you can't turn it anymore, you are good to go.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Don't worry if it clicks or not, once you set it to 100 and you can't turn it anymore, you are good to go.
So you means I can do it as tight as possible?
I have already found the jack and torque wrench....it is in my car....haha
And what is a exhaust cutter? To clean the lug?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

I think the torque wrench will not click when it reach 100ft lbs. what kind of torque wrench have such function?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------



And could you explain a little about what is washer ?

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------



The tpms tool is a little expensive... Is it necessary for me?
A washer, if I understand correctly, is a small metal disc used between two surfaces tightened together. several uses/reasons for them.

T p m s is the tire pressure monitoring system, I believe. You NEED this, most likely. In most areas it is illegal to not have it if your vehicle uses it. It just measures tire pressure, and warns you if it gets low. You might be able to take it off your current tires, but I am not familiar with that.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

A washer, if I understand correctly, is a small metal disc used between two surfaces tightened together. several uses/reasons for them.

T p m s is the tire pressure monitoring system, I believe. You NEED this, most likely. In most areas it is illegal to not have it if your vehicle uses it. It just measures tire pressure, and warns you if it gets low. You might be able to take it off your current tires, but I am not familiar with that.
Thank you! I think I understand what is a washer. But do I need to remove the old washer when I change the wheels?
And I think in my car has been equipped t p m s. when the tire pressure is low the warning lamp will turn on. I found this on the owner's guide. I think I will read it again.
Is it possible I do not buy the tpms tool?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan01405

Thank you! I think I understand what is a washer. But do I need to remove the old washer when I change the wheels?
And I think in my car has been equipped t p m s. when the tire pressure is low the warning lamp will turn on. I found this on the owner's guide. I think I will read it again.
Is it possible I do not buy the tpms tool?
No, I reused mine when I took off my wheels, it's not that important. But what is important is you et a TPMS syncing tool. I'm joy entirely sure how it works, but you'll need it. And you might have to retune your car for the larger wheels and tires. And post some pics!!!
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

No, I reused mine when I took off my wheels, it's not that important. But what is important is you et a TPMS syncing tool. I'm joy entirely sure how it works, but you'll need it. And you might have to retune your car for the larger wheels and tires. And post some pics!!!
If I complete this, of course, I will post pictures!
But now I am still considering about this.... I am still a student now and I do not want to cost too much...a tpms syncing tool is about 200 dollars on AM...
So do you have suggestions about where to buy tpms tool?
Another question is, I should buy four same wheels or two larger, two smaller? I found on AM there are two kinds of packages.
And what is the difference between the staggered and the standard?The appearance on the tire?
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
In a nutshell, Staggered will give you better handling.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
conan01405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
In a nutshell, Staggered will give you better handling.
Thank you! I think I understand.
conan01405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
I think hould want all season tires though.

You're in college now right?
So you probably drive the car year round
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
T p m s might legally be needed. True, you can go without them, but in some places shops can not legallyet you drive without them. A k a, if you do anything with your tires, they may not do it without the sensors. Or, if you bring your car in, they will not let it leave without installing t p m s. Depends on the laws, and the area.

Please research thAT before you get yourself into a situation because of advice not precise for you.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:40 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.