Plastidip wheels - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just did my wheels today.

What a PAIN. lol

Worth it tho. They didn't exactly come out 100% perfect, but they are so close I doubt many people would notice. They also have not fully dried, as I think it said it is 4 hours dry time per coat. 5 ish coats per wheel = 20ish hours. Its been maybe 6-8 hours at the most for the first two wheels I did.

It is dark as all get out, but I'll see about getting a picture to throw on here tomorrow morning when I get to work. Race Red Mustang + Black wheels = Amazing.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

What a PAIN. lol

Worth it tho. They didn't exactly come out 100% perfect, but they are so close I doubt many people would notice. They also have not fully dried, as I think it said it is 4 hours dry time per coat. 5 ish coats per wheel = 20ish hours. Its been maybe 6-8 hours at the most for the first two wheels I did.

It is dark as all get out, but I'll see about getting a picture to throw on here tomorrow morning when I get to work. Race Red Mustang + Black wheels = Amazing.
Mine aren't 100% either. I am going to have to redo mine come spring or summer time. So it can dry. Cause where I am now it's cold. Mine are starting to bubble a little bit. It's hard to notice but I know it's there. I'm sure a red car with black wheels looks awesome. Can't wait to see pics.
Jazzygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
has anyone done my wheels yet??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4274735100.png
Views:	98
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	76607  
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHGUTS
Just did mine yesterday. 5 coats matte black
First green mustang I've seen on here looks sexy
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483
has anyone done my wheels yet??
Want to hear about this. Winter tires are going on these in a few days, plasti dipped soon. I would like to see if anyone has done it, yet.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

Want to hear about this. Winter tires are going on these in a few days, plasti dipped soon. I would like to see if anyone has done it, yet.
I got a question for anyone. After I did my wheels I rotated my tires. I cris crossed them. Now in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear I am spinning tires and getting almost sideways when I get down on it. Are you supposed to cris cross on a stick shift car?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzygeoff

I got a question for anyone. After I did my wheels I rotated my tires. I cris crossed them. Now in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear I am spinning tires and getting almost sideways when I get down on it. Are you supposed to cris cross on a stick shift car?
I dk what the deal is with the mustang, and I assume it isn't just me, but this happens to me every time my tires get rotated. Car spins out and loses traction then after a few hundred miles calms down again.

Could be the tires? I have the stock Pirellie Pzero Nero 18s.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

Do you have one directional tires and criss crossed them to where the tread is the wrong way? I think that could have that effect of less traction if the tread isn't the way it should be
03torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03torch

Do you have one directional tires and criss crossed them to where the tread is the wrong way? I think that could have that effect of less traction if the tread isn't the way it should be
No, I made sure they were not directional. But that makes me feel a little better that it's not only me that it happened to. I have the stock 18s on there also and cris crossed them. I will keep running them for a little while longer and see if it works out. If not then I'm going to switch them and go from front to back.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I dk what the deal is with the mustang, and I assume it isn't just me, but this happens to me every time my tires get rotated. Car spins out and loses traction then after a few hundred miles calms down again.

Could be the tires? I have the stock Pirellie Pzero Nero 18s.
Seems normal. Usually front tires wear faster than rear, so say tires start out 100,100 on wear.

After so.many miles, it is like 80,90 left on wear. Then you rotate putting front in back, vice versa.

Now your tread is 90,80 until it wears down faster in front. Make sense? I do not know this for fact, just knowing some compliance issues with tires in retail and knowing a bit about cars makes me THINK this.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

Seems normal. Usually front tires wear faster than rear, so say tires start out 100,100 on wear.

After so.many miles, it is like 80,90 left on wear. Then you rotate putting front in back, vice versa.

Now your tread is 90,80 until it wears down faster in front. Make sense? I do not know this for fact, just knowing some compliance issues with tires in retail and knowing a bit about cars makes me THINK this.
A buddy of mine told me what wiki said. But it pretty much said the fronts cross and the backs go straight forward. So I am going to switch mine around in a couple of days to do that. It gets annoying when I give it some gas and I end up fishtailing like crazy in my first 3 gears.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

A buddy of mine told me what wiki said. But it pretty much said the fronts cross and the backs go straight forward. So I am going to switch mine around in a couple of days to do that. It gets annoying when I give it some gas and I end up fishtailing like crazy in my first 3 gears.
The user manual tells you for our car exactly how they are to be rotated. I just forget how because ford does it for me under my mantienence plan.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

What a PAIN. lol

What was your method? Prep work is 90% of it. Did you get drips or texture? That could be from a faulty can. That happened to me and I had to peel and re do one wheel. After that all of mine came out without a single flaw. The key is to clean and dry the wheel really good before you dip. Did you have any cleaning residue left on the wheel or wax leftover? That will make for bad spots. This was the first time for me ever using dip so I made sure my prep work was perfect.

I'm sure they look great on red. Can't wait to see them.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
First green mustang I've seen on here looks sexy
Thanks
BUSHGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What was your method? Prep work is 90% of it. Did you get drips or texture? That could be from a faulty can. That happened to me and I had to peel and re do one wheel. After that all of mine came out without a single flaw. The key is to clean and dry the wheel really good before you dip. Did you have any cleaning residue left on the wheel or wax leftover? That will make for bad spots. This was the first time for me ever using dip so I made sure my prep work was perfect.
For me it was how I sprayed it. There seems to be two nozzles floating around. The one type caused me to spray globs at times. Also sprayed to close to the wheel and on first coat tried to cover the entire wheel and make it entirely black. Mistake. Pulled that one off and redid it. Sprayed it so it looked blotted and let it sit for 30 then another coat and again 3 more times. Still had some blobs and such but I think that was from the nozzle top. I scrubbed them down really well.

I can't wait to see them tomorrow after they dry 100% and see how they look.

I want to do the entire car. Makes me think twice on how I was going to do the whole car. Think it may be done by panels.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For me it was how I sprayed it. There seems to be two nozzles floating around. The one type caused me to spray globs at times. Also sprayed to close to the wheel and on first coat tried to cover the entire wheel and make it entirely black. Mistake. Pulled that one off and redid it. Sprayed it so it looked blotted and let it sit for 30 then another coat and again 3 more times. Still had some blobs and such but I think that was from the nozzle top. I scrubbed them down really well.

I can't wait to see them tomorrow after they dry 100% and see how they look.

I want to do the entire car. Makes me think twice on how I was going to do the whole car. Think it may be done by panels.
Ya you have to do it in tack coats for the first 2 coats. Then you can increase the level of each coat after. If you want to do the whole car I would strongly recommend you do some research before you jump in. Watch a lot of YouTube vids. A really good place to start is the dip your car forums.

For the entire car you def will want the car kit and gun. It's a fan spray gun. And technique is key. Fonzie from dip your car has a lot of great vids on YouTube showing technique and types of equipment you will need. The dip is a great alternative to car wrapping and much cheaper.

Plastidip now has a product that repairs texture looking spray patterns on the wheels and car. It even repairs tears. They are getting more and more advanced these days. You can find a lot of info from their website and on their tutorials on YouTube.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya you have to do it in tack coats for the first 2 coats. Then you can increase the level of each coat after. If you want to do the whole car I would strongly recommend you do some research before you jump in. Watch a lot of YouTube vids. A really good place to start is the dip your car forums.

For the entire car you def will want the car kit and gun. It's a fan spray gun. And technique is key. Fonzie from dip your car has a lot of great vids on YouTube showing technique and types of equipment you will need. The dip is a great alternative to car wrapping and much cheaper.

Plastidip now has a product that repairs texture looking spray patterns on the wheels and car. It even repairs tears. They are getting more and more advanced these days. You can find a lot of info from their website and on their tutorials on YouTube.
Yeah dipyourcar was were I first saw plasti dip. I've just been unimpressed with them so far. They won't respond to my emails and they are more expensive than other places.

Purchased the same 4 cans in their wheel kit that sells for 25$ + shipping for 24$ after tax from Lowes.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:

Yeah dipyourcar was were I first saw plasti dip. I've just been unimpressed with them so far. They won't respond to my emails and they are more expensive than other places.

Purchased the same 4 cans in their wheel kit that sells for 25$ + shipping for 24$ after tax from Lowes.
Lowes had Plasti dip?!
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream

Lowes had Plasti dip?!
Yeah. Not a huge selection. They really only carry white and black in their stores. Few more options online.

Took my photo too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121119_074729.png
Views:	85
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	76672  
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:

Yeah. Not a huge selection. They really only carry white and black in their stores. Few more options online.

Took my photo too.
All I need is black haha sweet thanks!
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Took my photo too.
ya that looks good. i would get the louver painted to match though, just my opinion.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

ya that looks good. i would get the louver painted to match though, just my opinion.
I'm actually going to get different louvers at some point.

I didn't know at the time but the ones I have attach to the body of the car vs the ford OEM ones that only adhere to the window. I like that look better.

I like having them black though. The only thing is my whole car is themed glossy black and the wheels are matte. Might have to get some glossifyer.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm actually going to get different louvers at some point.

I didn't know at the time but the ones I have attach to the body of the car vs the ford OEM ones that only adhere to the window. I like that look better.

I like having them black though. The only thing is my whole car is themed glossy black and the wheels are matte. Might have to get some glossifyer.
ya i have the same louvers. their getting painted oem color. ya the dealer said they can attach em with velcrow instead of the glue strips. im interested in how the glossifyer comes out. looking forward to photos.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

ya i have the same louvers. their getting painted oem color. ya the dealer said they can attach em with velcrow instead of the glue strips. im interested in how the glossifyer comes out. looking forward to photos.
You have the ones I have, or the ford OEM styled ones?

Yeah not set on the glossifyer yet. Want to go a few weeks and see how I feel about the wheels being matte black.

Plus I plan on plasti dipping the whole car so the whole car will be matte.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

ya i have the same ones you have. they are the roush replicas. good luck with doing the whole car.

heres how mine came out

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

My understanding is you need to pull the tape off right away. Or at least within a few Mins of spraying. Dipyourcar has videos of doing this and he does it within seconds.
But how if you apply 5 coats you know? Lol am I suppose to keep re taping cause its a pain haha
EthanGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03

But how if you apply 5 coats you know? Lol am I suppose to keep re taping cause its a pain haha
I dk. I made this comment before having done the plastic dip...

After having done it...I honestly am not sure.

I made that comment based on a video from dipyourcar on YouTube.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

i didnt tape off at all. i sprayed and got the dip on the tire. afterwards i peeled it off. came off really easy
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i didnt tape off at all. i sprayed and got the dip on the tire. afterwards i peeled it off. came off really easy
He's talking about taping off a lip of the rim. As for mine I did what you did as I wanted them 100% black.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He's talking about taping off a lip of the rim. As for mine I did what you did as I wanted them 100% black.
oh, then its easy. all he has to do is dip the wheels the color he wants the lip to be. then let dry and tape off the lip and dip the wheel teh color he wants the wheel to be
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What a PAIN. lol

Lol who told you 4 hours to dry?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

Lol who told you 4 hours to dry?
The can says 4 hours per coat to fully dry.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

The dip takes a few mins if not less than to dry
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The dip takes a few mins if not less than to dry
Yeah my understanding was it takes longer than that to dry 100%.

Just like painting a house. Paint feels dry after a few mins but isn't 100% dry for a few hours.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Paint stays fresh longer but the dip doesn't. No need to wait hours
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Paint stays fresh longer but the dip doesn't. No need to wait hours
Would you like a pic of the can stating this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires