Need help deciding wheel size - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Need help deciding wheel size

I have been looking at wheels for my 2012 V6 for a while now and cant seem to find a happy medium. I really like the American Muscle series of wheels and think they look great but I think a 18" wheel is to small to fill our large wheel well and a 19" wheel cost $50 more for each tire because it is an odd size. I guess I could go 20" but then am I going to have to run low profile tires too? I had low profile tires on my last car and had a nightmare with them. Over the 4 years I had them I bent 2 wheels on potholes and blew out 2 or 3 more all on different occasions. I plan on lowering the car in the future so that Is something to consider as well. Is anyone running 18/19/20 inch wheels on there lowered car? If you are, post a picture and tell us what size of wheel/tire and how much you are lowered... a brand of wheel and spring or coilover would be appreciated as well.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
I have been looking at wheels for my 2012 V6 for a while now and cant seem to find a happy medium. I really like the American Muscle series of wheels and think they look great but I think a 18" wheel is to small to fill our large wheel well and a 19" wheel cost $50 more for each tire because it is an odd size. I guess I could go 20" but then am I going to have to run low profile tires too? I had low profile tires on my last car and had a nightmare with them. Over the 4 years I had them I bent 2 wheels on potholes and blew out 2 or 3 more all on different occasions. I plan on lowering the car in the future so that Is something to consider as well. Is anyone running 18/19/20 inch wheels on there lowered car? If you are, post a picture and tell us what size of wheel/tire and how much you are lowered... a brand of wheel and spring or coilover would be appreciated as well.
I got some 18's, the AMRs from AM, got them while they were on I think Augusts sale. They were the machined silver but I painted them myself flat black! I did 18X9 up front and 18X10 in the rear for a better grip and for the staggerd look ^_^ I lowered my baby as well and love the stance and look she has now
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gil_T2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: N VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
I prefer 18" wheels, they look better and you have a larger selection of wheels and tire sizes to chose from. As far as the lowering go's the wheels have nothing to do with it, unless you buy the wrong off set size wheels. If you want to fill up the wheel well then you need to buy over sized tires.
__________________
BBK LT's, Catted Xpipe, Sniper tune, UDP's GT500 TB, Ford Racing CAI, CM delete, 4.10, TR6060, 1 piece DS
Gil_T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
I prefer 18" wheels, they look better and you have a larger selection of wheels and tire sizes to chose from. As far as the lowering go's the wheels have nothing to do with it, unless you buy the wrong off set size wheels. If you want to fill up the wheel well then you need to buy over sized tires.
My concern with lowering is I'm afraid that if I went with a 20" wheel then threw a standard size tire on it I would no longer have enough space in the wheel well to accommodate 1" to 2" of drop....
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
CYCLON37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 1,798
19's look best, but 18's work great as well but you need to be lowered. Here's mine with staggered 18's and lowered with eibach pro-kits (approx 1")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3087800334.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	733.3 KB
ID:	74715   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1128196933.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	672.8 KB
ID:	74716  

CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Gil_T2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: N VA
Region: Virginia
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
My concern with lowering is I'm afraid that if I went with a 20" wheel then threw a standard size tire on it I would no longer have enough space in the wheel well to accommodate 1" to 2" of drop....
Why, the size the the wheel has nothing to do with the size of the tire. For instants if you have 18" wheels the tire size is 235/50x18, if you have 20" wheels the tire size is 235/45x20 , both of these tires are about 27.5" Dia and the width is 9.4" .
these are the std size tires that go on a mustang, if you buy over sized tires for either 18" or 20" rims you could have clearance problems. The wheel only affects it if you buy the wrong off set wheel.
__________________
BBK LT's, Catted Xpipe, Sniper tune, UDP's GT500 TB, Ford Racing CAI, CM delete, 4.10, TR6060, 1 piece DS
Gil_T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tompkinsville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 414
I love my 18's.
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
layton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
My concern with lowering is I'm afraid that if I went with a 20" wheel then threw a standard size tire on it I would no longer have enough space in the wheel well to accommodate 1" to 2" of drop....
i have 19 inch rtr wheels and i think 19's are the perfect size but the tires are expensive and all good tires are made in a 19 also but i wouldnt get 20's they are usually very heavy and dont ride near as good as 18in or 19in wheels. and as far as lowering the car you shouldnt have any trouble either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0976.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	74806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	931.2 KB
ID:	74807  

__________________
borla atak axle-back exhaust, 19in rtr wheels wrapped in 255/40r19 goodyear fl supercar tires, airaid cai, tinted windows 10%, grabber blue custom stripes. and last a bad a** driver
layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I have been looking at wheels for my 2012 V6 for a while now and cant seem to find a happy medium. I really like the American Muscle series of wheels and think they look great but I think a 18" wheel is to small to fill our large wheel well and a 19" wheel cost $50 more for each tire because it is an odd size. I guess I could go 20" but then am I going to have to run low profile tires too? I had low profile tires on my last car and had a nightmare with them. Over the 4 years I had them I bent 2 wheels on potholes and blew out 2 or 3 more all on different occasions. I plan on lowering the car in the future so that Is something to consider as well. Is anyone running 18/19/20 inch wheels on there lowered car? If you are, post a picture and tell us what size of wheel/tire and how much you are lowered... a brand of wheel and spring or coilover would be appreciated as well.
Rebeltx,

This is going to be a very opinionated question. I honestly don't thing you can go wrong, however with 20' in rims you may notice a lack in braking. They're much bigger and heavier then your stock set up or even 18's/19's!

If you're planing on lowering the car I'd go with 18's or 19's and your stance would be perfect! What style wheel are you after?

This is just my opinion, let me know if I can be of any assistance and best of luck on your decision!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:04 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.