Rough ride on 19's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Missxalii
Rough ride on 19's?

I was looking to upgrade from my factory 17" wheels to 19" staggered. A friend of mine with a new edge mentioned that he his ride was 20x rougher after he put 19's on his and lowered it. I was wondering if you guys had the same experience. Particularly with the 2010/2011 models. Thanks!
Missxalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Well, 19's on a new edge is like 22's on ours.. 18's is the limit on a new edge imo. So 19's will be fine on yours. I think they look best as well. I'm running staggered 18's but if I don't get rid of my car, I'll swap to 19's at some point. The ride is a bit harsh but not sure if it's due more to my wheels/tires or suspension setup. Probably a mix of both.. And are you lowered? If not, I'd suggest like a 1-1.5" drop for a perfect look.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37
Well, 19's on a new edge is like 22's on ours.. 18's is the limit on a new edge imo. So 19's will be fine on yours. I think they look best as well. I'm running staggered 18's but if I don't get rid of my car, I'll swap to 19's at some point. The ride is a bit harsh but not sure if it's due more to my wheels/tires or suspension setup. Probably a mix of both.. And are you lowered? If not, I'd suggest like a 1-1.5" drop for a perfect look.
Not lowered right now but with the forum discount I could get the lowering springs and it would cost the same. Are they hard to put on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii

Not lowered right now but with the forum discount I could get the lowering springs and it would cost the same. Are they hard to put on?
It's not hard just watch a how to on you tube just takes a few tools and half a day to do I did mine at the starting of the year ride is much more rough but just on bumps an holes which I now avoid as much as possible other than that ride is pretty smooth
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My stockers are 19" (Brembo package). I don't find it rough at all.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #6

On my old 09 I switched out the stock 18's for 19'' AMR wheels the car was totaled a week after, but during that week I didn't notice any difference, if anything driving was alot nicer due to the nitto INVO's. Lowering the car also didnt make any worse of a ride, just more fun
hastethedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'm also thinking about making the jump to the OEM 18s to a 19 staggered set up. Does the tire matter in the comfort of the ride? If I went with the 19' staggered with the cheapest tire that AM offers, am I going to regret it?

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii
I was looking to upgrade from my factory 17" wheels to 19" staggered. A friend of mine with a new edge mentioned that he his ride was 20x rougher after he put 19's on his and lowered it. I was wondering if you guys had the same experience. Particularly with the 2010/2011 models. Thanks!
Idk why he would put 19s on a new edge but anyway... Lowering the car wont really make it any rougher.. U may feel more of the road due to the fact that ur a lot closer to it now. But don't cheap out and do it right and get the right stuff. Ull be fine.. Most of his rough ride is caused by the profile of his tires. Considering the fact that he has a new edge and is on 19s he probably has a very small profile tire.. That's what really causes rough ride.. As long as u get a good profile and actually get some meat between ur wheel and the road then it shouldn't be rough
02NightmareGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02NightmareGT

Idk why he would put 19s on a new edge but anyway... Lowering the car wont really make it any rougher.. U may feel more of the road due to the fact that ur a lot closer to it now. But don't cheap out and do it right and get the right stuff. Ull be fine.. Most of his rough ride is caused by the profile of his tires. Considering the fact that he has a new edge and is on 19s he probably has a very small profile tire.. That's what really causes rough ride.. As long as u get a good profile and actually get some meat between ur wheel and the road then it shouldn't be rough
Lowering will 'stiffen' the ride a bit, particularly if you don't swap the shocks and struts depending on how far you drop.

I suggest doing some research on all the complimentary components required to do a drop correctly. Calling AM and speaking to a rep can be very helpful. When researching how to correct the issues with mine I found Steeda's website and forum very helpful. Their reps are also knowledgable and friendly.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #10

Region: Florida
OP:I think your buddy with the new edge did something wrong.Mine ride very smooth with 19's

BIGBLOCKTRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm alright. Thank you guys! Is there any reason why his might be riding rougher than usual?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missxalii View Post
Hmm alright. Thank you guys! Is there any reason why his might be riding rougher than usual?
just a wild guess, probably not lowered properly, I used fox body front struts because they are shorter and fit my ride height better,one common problem when lowering is people forget to shorten the bump stop over rear end housing and it bottoms out in the rear constantly. mine rides very smooth and handles great. I just don't understand why 19's would give a rough ride.
BIGBLOCKTRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #13

Region: Texas
I have the stock 19 on my car and it feels pretty smooth

I think it all depends on the tires u have
92petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires