Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Painting brake calipers

16K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  escottcarp 
#1 ·
I heard its a pain in the a$$ to paint your brake calipers due to taking them and cleaning the brake dust, and everything else. Should I just get the brake caliper covers on AM or paint? I'd rather paint them cause its cheaper lol. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I've always painted mine, they turn out great, it's worth the effort. I'm not a fan of the covers, to me they look fake, because I know they are, and they're only going to make the caliper retain more heat.

I'll usually lay out some cardboard underneath to catch the mess i'm making so I can throw it all away when i'm done. I clean the calipers with a quick wire brush to get any surface gunk, then spray them down with brake parts cleaner and let them dry. After that, paint away. It doesn't have to be perfection, the paint covers & sticks well. It's a nice afternoon project in the garage.

#3 ·
I've always painted mine, they turn out great, it's worth the effort. I'm not a fan of the covers, to me they look fake, because I know they are, and they're only going to make the caliper retain more heat.

I'll usually lay out some cardboard underneath to catch the mess i'm making so I can throw it all away when i'm done. I clean the calipers with a quick wire brush to get any surface gunk, then spray them down with brake parts cleaner and let them dry. After that, paint away. It doesn't have to be perfection, the paint covers & sticks well. It's a nice afternoon project in the garage.
Now that you said I kinda agree with you on the fake thing cause its just the easy way out for people who don't wanna take the time to paint them and they look the same so I'm gonna paint them. Did you newspaper everything off and just go to town on painting them?

#4 ·
So. I painted mine black (rear calipers only) but didn't even take off the wheels... I had enough room between the spokes to use the brush. Just taped up the wheel in case it dripped. I used the duplicolor kit... Worked well except the cheap brush they include kept shedding bristles which I had to quickly pull. Get a good brush and you'll be fine.

#6 ·
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet

#37 ·
I have pained calipers on 2 of my cars 02 Mustang GT and BMW 335i. I personally recommend G2 ceramic paint. they have endless colors to choose from and you don't need to fuss with removing the calipers from the car. Just clean them really well and a wire brush or a wire brush wheel for a power drill. works like a charm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.