Painting brake calipers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Painting brake calipers

I heard its a pain in the a$$ to paint your brake calipers due to taking them and cleaning the brake dust, and everything else. Should I just get the brake caliper covers on AM or paint? I'd rather paint them cause its cheaper lol. Thoughts?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
IanM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pickerington, Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 223
I've always painted mine, they turn out great, it's worth the effort. I'm not a fan of the covers, to me they look fake, because I know they are, and they're only going to make the caliper retain more heat.

I'll usually lay out some cardboard underneath to catch the mess i'm making so I can throw it all away when i'm done. I clean the calipers with a quick wire brush to get any surface gunk, then spray them down with brake parts cleaner and let them dry. After that, paint away. It doesn't have to be perfection, the paint covers & sticks well. It's a nice afternoon project in the garage.
__________________
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
I've always painted mine, they turn out great, it's worth the effort. I'm not a fan of the covers, to me they look fake, because I know they are, and they're only going to make the caliper retain more heat.

I'll usually lay out some cardboard underneath to catch the mess i'm making so I can throw it all away when i'm done. I clean the calipers with a quick wire brush to get any surface gunk, then spray them down with brake parts cleaner and let them dry. After that, paint away. It doesn't have to be perfection, the paint covers & sticks well. It's a nice afternoon project in the garage.
Now that you said I kinda agree with you on the fake thing cause its just the easy way out for people who don't wanna take the time to paint them and they look the same so I'm gonna paint them. Did you newspaper everything off and just go to town on painting them?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
nhcowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post
I heard its a pain in the a$$ to paint your brake calipers due to taking them and cleaning the brake dust, and everything else. Should I just get the brake caliper covers on AM or paint? I'd rather paint them cause its cheaper lol. Thoughts?
So. I painted mine black (rear calipers only) but didn't even take off the wheels... I had enough room between the spokes to use the brush. Just taped up the wheel in case it dripped. I used the duplicolor kit... Worked well except the cheap brush they include kept shedding bristles which I had to quickly pull. Get a good brush and you'll be fine.
__________________

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
IanM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pickerington, Ohio
Region: Ohio
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post
Now that you said I kinda agree with you on the fake thing cause its just the easy way out for people who don't wanna take the time to paint them and they look the same so I'm gonna paint them. Did you newspaper everything off and just go to town on painting them?
The kit is a liquid paint which you need to brush on, so I didn't have to tape or protect very much of anything, any drips the cardboard catches, as not to get on my pretty clean garage floor.

+1 on the brush, it sucks, so buy a decent small brush at the hardware store for a few bucks and throw it away when you're done. Minimal mess & clean up makes for a great project in my eyes.
__________________
2011 Grabber Blue GT California Special, 3.73 Gears, 6-Speed Manual, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 tune, aluminum driveshaft (The Driveshaft Shop Co.), MGW shifter, Roush axle-back exhaust, Roush Side Rocker Panel Splitters, Ford Racing BOSS 302 front splitter, sound-tube delete, painted plug covers, JLT oil separator. Shelby transmission scoop & powder-coated trunk brace & many more items...
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet
+1000
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet
That's what I was wanting to is paint them with high temperature spray instead of using the brush. What should I do to clean the wheels really good?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
I used a brush and caliper cleaner or brake cleaner
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
I used a brush and caliper cleaner or brake cleaner
Just spray it on there and it cleans it right up?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

Just spray it on there and it cleans it right up?
Yep. Paint em they look better than plastic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1451537047.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	79378
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post

Yep. Paint em they look better than plastic
Oh for sure. How many coats?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

Oh for sure. How many coats?
I did 4. Let about 5-10 min between coats. It will be much faster and easier if you can get the car off the ground completely and do all 4 at the same time
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post

I did 4. Let about 5-10 min between coats. It will be much faster and easier if you can get the car off the ground completely and do all 4 at the same time
Yeah that's what I was gonna do. Put it on 4 jack stands and take off all the wheels at the same time. Just do one coat on each wheel then the same process over again.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

Yeah that's what I was gonna do. Put it on 4 jack stands and take off all the wheels at the same time. Just do one coat on each wheel then the same process over again.
Yea that's what I did
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 983
Painting them is better just little bit of prep work needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1763488046.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	79388  
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Painting them is better just little bit of prep work needed
Spray brake caliper paint or the paint that comes in a pint of whatever?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
*
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
svilla00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
when i paint calipers i just buy a can of high temp engine paint...pop my wheels off...tape off the calipers and mask the rotors and wheel well...clean it off with some brake cleaner...dry it with a rag...then spray it down with paint...usually 3 coats will do. takes less then an hour to do all four...heck i've even gone driving imediately after reinstalling the wheels right after finishing painting. i'm over a year after painting my calipers this way and no chipping or discoloration yet
+1 for this

VHT. Makes a high temp caliper paint in a spray can. Works wonderful. You can even order custom colors from there site
svilla00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
svilla00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla00 View Post

+1 for this

VHT. Makes a high temp caliper paint in a spray can. Works wonderful. You can even order custom colors from there site
From my DD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1632928085.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	79605  
svilla00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
MachMan1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Colorado
Posts: 366
Any use of clear coats?
MachMan1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
svilla00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachMan1017 View Post
Any use of clear coats?
Just one coat to cover the decals
svilla00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla00 View Post

Just one coat to cover the decals
Just normal clear coat? Or clear coat to withstand hear?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
svilla00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04 View Post

Just normal clear coat? Or clear coat to withstand hear?
VHT makes a high temp "clear gloss". I just used a light coat of that to add some shine and make sure the lettering staying in place. I heard clear coat traps in the heat more so I didn't want to use a lot. No really sure if it does but I didn't want to take a chance.
svilla00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
What would happen if you get the spray paint on something else on accident? Like a hose or something. Will it affect your brakes?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
WarMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 54
Take your time and paint them. I used a brush to avoid getting paint all over. I have little experience with spray paint so I played it safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2290668771.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	80579   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-200270708.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	80581  

WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
OzzyLiriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Take your time and paint them. I used a brush to avoid getting paint all over. I have little experience with spray paint so I played it safe.
Nice im doing mine now in winter break
OzzyLiriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoshLSTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Take your time and paint them. I used a brush to avoid getting paint all over. I have little experience with spray paint so I played it safe.
Very nice look! I like the "Mustang" lettering. Is it a decal, or do our calipers actually have that on them from the factory? I haven't paid enough attention to mine to even know, lol.

Also, did you paint the Pony Package wheels, or did those come from Ford in black? Mine are polished, but I'd like to get black.
__________________
2013 Sterling Grey V6 Premium - Ordered: 9/18/2012 Built: 10/09/2012 Arrived: 10/25/2012 Picked up: 10/27/2012
6MT | Pony Pkg | Comfort Pkg | Magnaflow Street Catback | DG Custom Auto Painted Louvers | WeatherTech Floor Liners | Jaeger Brothers Front Splash Guards
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jstilly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Terre Haute
Region: Indiana
Posts: 35
Subscribed!
Jstilly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Take your time and paint them. I used a brush to avoid getting paint all over. I have little experience with spray paint so I played it safe.
I'm an expert with spray paint now, brushing not so much. Spray is much faster IMO. I like the way yours came out though. Where's you get the mustang decal? It looks awesome
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
WarMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post

Very nice look! I like the "Mustang" lettering. Is it a decal, or do our calipers actually have that on them from the factory? I haven't paid enough attention to mine to even know, lol.

Also, did you paint the Pony Package wheels, or did those come from Ford in black? Mine are polished, but I'd like to get black.

Those are decals I got from Stangmods.com - they have a lot of different colors. I purchased the blk wheels for my snow tires. My other set is sterling grey to match the color of the car. I like the blk better.
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
papivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Havertown, PA
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 153
When painting the calipers do I need to remove the brake pads?
__________________
2014 V6 Convertible Ruby Red Tint, Borla S-Types
papivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
1Mustang805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Oxnard, Ca
Region: California
Posts: 41
when I painted mine I didn't remove the brake pads and they came out just fine
1Mustang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i just tape everything off while the calipers sit on the rotor ^^...im super lazy
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
1Mustang805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Oxnard, Ca
Region: California
Posts: 41
That's exactly how I did it and it came out good too
1Mustang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:08 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.