What size tires i need for my 1996 mustang gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What size tires i need for my 1996 mustang gt?

i have a 1996 mustang gt, with a bullitt intake and PI heads so it is pushing 251 HP.. my drag radials just wear down too fast. I need to know which size tire i need to still be able to get the traction with that much power, because the stock tires just did not hold up
deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with some 18x9 bullits. Wrap the front tires with some 275/35/18 and the rear with a 285/35/18. This is an aggressive look and cost less than going with a deep dish rear set wheels. If you do get a rear deep dish 18x10.5 id go with some 305 or 315 tires. This maybe too much tire for your car though. Check it out as an option
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

In very general terms you want to put on the biggest tire that you can fit within the space in your car, but possibly the problem is not the size of the tire so much as it is your driving habits.

If you are not able to control the power to the extent that you are simply burning rubber every time you touch the accelerator, having all the power isn't doing you a lot of good. You need to apply the power when you can get it transferred to the road, not burn up the tires.

Having not seen you drive, I can't really say how good you are at controlling your vehicle, but what I am saying is that a good technique can do a lot and you might want to see if this is a skill that you might be able to improve on apart from getting a solution by changing tires.
rosswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
bao
Registered Member
Regular

295/50/18
bao is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Tags
1996 mustang