Need Tire Expertise / Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Need Tire Expertise / Advice

Hello. I need to get new tires for my 2000 Mustang GT that has 18” Saleen rims. I do not have much experience with tires yet, so I am looking for advice / feedback. I am looking to get tires that are sporty but definitely not top of the line. Tires that will run good through the crazy curvy roads I have around here.

Any advice / help / wisdom very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris
ChrisxF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil
Re: Need Tire Expertise / Advice

Do you ever take your car to the track or go for high speeds much? It is real hard to say no to Nitto's but wet traction is not always there
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

sumitomos for the street, 265/35/18 front 285/35/18 rear,best place to get them is americanmuscle.com.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would get a good wear rating tire, not something super soft. Keep in mind that every tire manuf. has their own way of rating everything (no standardization.... ) so you should research wear and tire life etc etc from people that have them and reviews left on sites like tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #5

Much thanks to all three of you guys. Yes, I am backchecking and researching all of that through these sites, reviews, and Consumer Reports Spector.

Any other tire suggestions passed Nittos and Sumitomo??
Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Road Trip!

ive ran ever tire made, nittos wear quick,goodyear lasts but is expensive,hankooks egg alot,nankangs are cheap but ride like crap and wear medium,, sumitomos dont hook worth a hell but you will get long life out of them not to mention they are cheap, i have them on the front of my car now and i have a set for the back when i get a set of rear street rims, i got mickeys on the back right now.

dont even think about mickeys,$700 every 3 months for 315/35/18>>why i need a street set.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Falken tires seem to run small for the size but they last and have pretty decent grip. I have them on the front on my car and really like them.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Road Trip!

falkens are good, ive heard some stories of them coming apart at high speeds but nothing that i can stand behind.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

I had yokohamas on the tC... ****ty ****ty tire... especially for the cost. I had the s32a's.

My mustang had some Kelly EVO-Z that weren't bad, had 35k miles on the tires, and still had half the tread left, may not be a bad look. Got them for cheap cheap cheap on ebay.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
ive ran ever tire made, nittos wear quick,goodyear lasts but is expensive,hankooks egg alot,nankangs are cheap but ride like crap and wear medium,, sumitomos dont hook worth a hell but you will get long life out of them not to mention they are cheap, i have them on the front of my car now and i have a set for the back when i get a set of rear street rims, i got mickeys on the back right now.

dont even think about mickeys,$700 every 3 months for 315/35/18>>why i need a street set.
I'm leaning towards the sumicrapmos as well for my street tire...$99 each for the 315s sounds good to me isntead of $209 each for nitto street tires or MT drags....or $170 for the nitto drags.

Then I'll get another set of 10.5" FR500's for the rear with some MT's on them....
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I'm leaning towards the sumicrapmos as well for my street tire...$99 each for the 315s sounds good to me isntead of $209 each for nitto street tires or MT drags....or $170 for the nitto drags.

Then I'll get another set of 10.5" FR500's for the rear with some MT's on them....
das whut im halla-in
Old 06-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

I have the sumos in 315's out back and they're not as bad as you think on the street atleast, like you said....for $100 you can't go wrong
Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
I have the sumos in 315's out back and they're not as bad as you think on the street atleast, like you said....for $100 you can't go wrong
But do you have 500+ torque at the wheels? Then again, any non-drag radial tire is going suck balls for traction at that level anyhow....which is why I said I might as well get those and get a couple years out of them instead of the 1 year I get out of the nittos.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

That goes back to my original question to ChrisxF about driving conditions he puts the tires under. (Which he never answered but is pretty critical. A-hem)
Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedDevil View Post
That goes back to my original question to ChrisxF about driving conditions he puts the tires under. (Which he never answered but is pretty critical. A-hem)
Oh sorry Devil! I live in the mountains of Western NC, so I drive through a crap load of curves. Winters can be cold but not near as bad as northern states. I do enjoy it as a sports car and therefore do push it through the turns sometimes and enjoy joyriding, but generally I take really good care when driving. I guess that is about it.

Maybe as a note, I do have to travel out of a short gravel road everyday to get to the first main pavement road.

That answer your question? Let me know if you need more info.

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

all tires a brand makes are not going to be the same, you have to be more specific~ all yokahomas are not ****~ my avs es100s are a nice tire.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #17

Also trying to determine whether or not I need all-season or if I can go summer tires. Thoughts / Experience on that matter?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

How cold does it get in the mountain of NC?
So you never really go real high speed or track it and give it hard launches?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #19

Quote:
How cold does it get in the mountain of NC?
So you never really go real high speed or track it and give it hard launches?
I mean during winter it gets cold, just like most places during the season. I think the lowest it has gotten is mid teens.

I mean sometimes I go high speed, but I'm not running this car at a track no. It is my main car though, and I do enjoy it sometimes through the crazy curviness this area brings. Only hard launches this puppy sees is when i race someone for giggles every once in a while on the highway or in town.

So with that covered, what do you think between summer / all-season? and also the brand I might want to go with of course still .

Thanks for your constant feedback man. You rock.

Chris
Old 06-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you do not drive that aggressively and don't have much in the way of added power then it just becomes a matter of expense there are plenty of decent tires out there. Each brand has good and not so good tires to choose from. For you, I would go with Ultra High Performance Summer or All Season. Do not drop to "high" performance and going up to max performance summer tires is probably excessive for you unless you don't mind the expense.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #21

Region: Texas

BF Goodrich T/A KDW's last and great grip wet or dry I have had them on two cars. That is all I will buy.
captainsteve57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I mean during winter it gets cold, just like most places during the season. I think the lowest it has gotten is mid teens.
even below 45 degrees, summer tires become hard as a rock and will slide all over the road...if you get an extra set of rims run summers on one set and all seasons or snow tires on the other set.....i just moved from PA and thats what i did...i remember driving my summer tires when it got cold and it sucked!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #23

Thanks for all the help guys. Only going to ask one more question if you'd like to assist me just once more.

I have it down to two tires now:
-Nitto Neo Gen ZR
-Falken Ziex ZE-912

Thoughts / Experience / Preference of these two?

Thanks again for all the awesome help!

Chris
Old 06-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

nitto nitto nitto
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

ditto on NITTO !
Old 06-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #26

Cool, that was my choice as well!! Ordering them tomorrow, thanks for all the awesome help guys (especially RedDevil!).

Chris
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Where are you ordering your tires from? I had two friends get tires tires off discounttiredirect.com and they got a pretty sweet price on them and shipping was pretty quick.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Where are you ordering your tires from? I had two friends get tires tires off discounttiredirect.com and they got a pretty sweet price on them and shipping was pretty quick.
That's where I always order my tires from when I am getting Nittos...usually get my stuff in 2 days, then again, they are shipping from TX I believe so it isn't that far.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I've had a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512's on my car for the past 2 years and 45000 miles. they need replacing now, but mainly because my alignment went out just slightly in the front, and I have some uneven wear. They get good grip year round. Hell, I'm in Iowa, and we got the 2nd most snow in town since they started keeping record. We were something like a half inch away from tying the record. I drove the car every day in the winter, after 40k miles of wear and almost 2 years on the car. They don't have issues in the rain... pretty much just a great cheap tire. Certainly not the best, but for the price, you'd be hard to beat them. I believe I paid $350 shipped for the set?

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #30

Hey Red, what do you think of the Kumho Ecsta ASX? Someone we talked to at a local tire company recommended them due to their 420 UTQG tread rating. I see that the Nitto Neo Gens sit only at 280.

Thoughts on this? Specifically vs. the Neo Gens?

Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts

Kumho Tire USA - Passenger - Ultra High Performance - KU21

Thanks!

Chris
Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Those Kuhmo's are a good tire and you really won't be pushing your car to the limits so they should be plenty sufficient. The tread wear rating is how the tire compares to the rest of that company's tires, not overall in the entire world of tires (FYI). Either way, they will be a sweet choice at a good price.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #32

Ok, one final question for ya Red.

If you had to choose between the Neo Gens an ECSTA ASX's, which would you go with? I still like the Nitto's, and they are a bit cheaper.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 06-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

At this level, it comes down to personal preference (and $$$ as always). Both are respectable. I think I'd go with the Kumho's in this case

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires