98 ford mustang gt tire size? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

98 ford mustang gt tire size?

ok..i have 245/45/zr17 on my mustang gt. I found a set of P235/55ZR17 for sale...i was wondering if they would fiit..
currito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

they should fit in the wheel wells, but you might notice some rubbing on corners and over bumps because the tires are 5.8% taller than the originals.

This means when your speedometer reads 60mph, you'll actually be going 63 mph.

**edit**

funny how I got a thumbs down on this one - it's simple math, that some people don't choose to understand. Use the tire calculator that I provided below so you can see that I'm actually correct.
imported_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yes, in fact they will be close to the same overall circumference
pacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

should be fine smaller size and you should find the tire size on the inside of your door jam.... and tires vary between makers so sometime one size of tire can be the same as another of a differant brand will be a half a inch or less either way
aodha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dave is correct that the 235/55ZR17's would be slightly taller than the 245/45ZR17's, and that it would effectively make your gear ratio taller (numerically lower) and result in your speedometer reading a couple mph lower than your actual speed.

That being said, I imagine that the tires you are considering are quite possibly stock take-off tires from a 2005+ Mustang w/ 17" wheels. In the 2005+ Mustangs, the standard gear ratio was changed from 3.27 (for the 99-04 cars w/ the same 245/45ZR17 tires you have) to 3.31 in order to account for this slight change. However, it is certainly not unprecedented for 94-04 Mustangs to use the wheels/tires from an '05+ Mustang, so I would say that using them on your wheels would be fine.

The only concern I would have is that the new tires will be visually taller because of the higher profile. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Good luck!
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires