What caused the violent wobble in my front tire? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What caused the violent wobble in my front tire?

I own a 1999 Mustang Gt. I have two new Dunlop tires in the rear and two slightly used Hankook tires in the front. They've been good since I've had the car for 3 months and up to this point I haven't experienced anything effecting my driving. I was driving on the highway at speeds of 65 M.P.H., when I came around a bend and then all of a sudden I heard a pop of some kind around my front right tire and after examination I didn't notice any damage to the tire. As I pull off an annoying clicking sound starts coming from my front right tire and I keep driving. I drove 7 miles towards my school with this annoying sound and I didn't think anything of it. Suddenly as I returned home the clicking intensified and transformed into a dull thud noise and my steering wheel started vibrating. I told my passenger to look out and he exclaimed that the tire was wobbling and I felt it as well. It got worse and I didn't know what to do. I just drove slowly home and have been researching what could it be since then. It sounds like something having to do with the front axle or the bearings but I'm no expert. Can anyone with expertise give me some input and help me out with quotes so my mechanic doesn't overprice me. I'm a struggling student and can't afford to have a broken car since I commute as well as I can't afford to overpay. Thank you
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I would check the simplest things first. Your wheel Weight could have come off. Wheel weights are installed in and around the rim to balance the wheel and rim. If your wheel is out of balance, then your wheel will wobble. I would first get your wheels balanced, it will cost less than $12 a wheel.
In the worst case, your bearing may be going bad. Won't be the axle because you do not have axles on the front of your vehicle.
If you do find that it is the bearing, I suggest you purchase new wheel bearings from MIBearings LLC.
good Luck!
Kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Check for a lump on your tire. Usually, when I have problems like this it's a busted belt, which just feels like a lump, or "egg" on the tire.

If this turns up nothing, go to Shell Back's advice.
eoghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like a wheel bearing making the tire wobble. sorry but when you own a car then you need money.
Kynlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Likely the tire rod has been snapped.
azuriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

did you hit a pothole? bent the rim or the tires belt is now bad or threw a weight get it looked at
jukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

We could explain what to look for but you wouldn't know what you were looking at. #.1 Your car doesn't have a front axle! No one but you and Ford Motor Company broke your car. Check the lower ball joints, all four tie-rod ends and front wheel bearings.

No one can give you a quote on anything without inspecting the car. You will never know what's wrong by sitting in front of a computer researching. If you feel your being taken advantage of by a private mechanic or new car dealership, fix it yourself or walk.

Eddie W shouldn't be answering questions about car or truck suspensions either. There's no such thing as a "tire" rod.
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Jack it up and make sure all of the lug nuts are there and tight, after it is lifted up push and pull on the tire and see if it clunks around if it does either the bearings are bad or the ball joints are going bad, check the suspension and all linkage you can find it.

I would say you have wheel bearing issues, or a loose wheel.

You can buy the parts from a parts store and have a shop install them, you will have to pay the hourly shop fee, if you decide to they will buy the parts and charge the shop fee.

Most shops charge anywhere from 65 to 90 bucks per hour plus parts!
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires