spacer question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
spacer question

Ok so I purchased a used set of weld pro-star drag wheels 15" x 10", but they don't quite clear the calipers on my 12' GT I was wondering how I figure out what size spacer I need so I can use them at the strip next time I go.
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
D00m3dHitm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I'm gonna recommend against any spacer on rear drag wheels. If you must, be prepared to spend $250-300 for a quality set plus new studs.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What quality spacer would u suggest? Also why do u recommend against spacers?
Black 2012 Mustang GT 6MT mods: Borla S-type cat backs, 15% window tint, Raxiom Smoked headlights, Pioneer 8400, scosche dash kit, hertz speakers, JL Audio 500 watt amp, 2 JL audio 12" W3 subs. *more to come*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Can anyone answer my questions?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n View Post
Can anyone answer my questions?
i disagree with LOWFLY. A dude on the mach 1 forum is running spacers at the rear and hes puttin down over 500 rwhp and hasnt had any problems. I would think a small 5mm hubcentric spacer would be perfect for ya. I would assume your clearance issue is minimal and these spacers usually do the trick.

5/16" wheel spacers for FI Mach with 10.5" rears - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

As for the spacers I mentioned here they are

2 5mm Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 5x114 3 70 5 Hub Ford Lincoln Mercury Adapters | eBay

Good luck
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If i went with a 5mm spacer will i need to get longer studs?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I recommend against spacers because they put stress further out on your studs, hub and bearings.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I recommend against spacers because they put stress further out on your studs, hub and bearings.
+100 I am strongly against spacers. I believe if something with your wheels has you wanting spacers then you need new wheels!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Spacer put added stress on studs due to the length and the hub due to it possibilty of not being hubcentric. Not being hubcentric can also cause wobble or wicked vibration on a wheel because its not balanced true to the wheel, it dont always happen but it has. The solution is longer studs like ARP race studs and a true hubcentric spacer. The best solution is a new wheel with proper offset of backspacing. The wheel is machined to pose as the spacers assisted space but doesnt use anymore stud than a normal wheel.
ToplessCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
To help figure the size of spacer, use a hand full of washers as shims to gage what it will take to get the clearance. Then remove the wheel measure the thickness of the washers and you have the thickness. Add that thickness to the stock studs to get the new stud length.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n View Post
Ok so I purchased a used set of weld pro-star drag wheels 15" x 10", but they don't quite clear the calipers on my 12' GT I was wondering how I figure out what size spacer I need so I can use them at the strip next time I go.
To help figure the size of spacer, use a hand full of washers as shims to gage what it will take to get the clearance. Then remove the wheel measure the thickness of the washers and you have the thickness. Add that thickness to the stock studs to get the new stud length.
Tinman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I put the small spacers on my 2012 GT rear stock rims and had problems. I ended up with problems with the threads on the wheel studs along w/ some minor balance problems because they are not hubcentric... I'm not suggesting this, but I'll raise an idea and question that might help your situation; Can you slightly modify the back side of the rim to create clearance?
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
A spacer too thick can cause issues for sure and worse case makn it non hubcentric which IMO should always be avoided. But to say a conservstive 5mm spacer is harmful is taking things a lil to far. Let me ask u this, if someone gets new wheels with smaller offsets tht causes wheels to stick out 5mm more than the stockers is this any worse than using stock wheels w 5mm hubcentric spacers? Just curious
04' TR Mach 1 w/ IUP-Vortech V2 3.48" pulley-aftercooler-Anderson PP-90mm MAF-SVT pump-42lb frpp injectors-Steeda battery/trunk-frpp 4.10's-SOS Pillar w/ Ford Racing Fuel,boost/vac gauges-aluminum DS-Steeda tri ax-caster cambers-eibach damper and pro kit-MM FL subframes-borla stinger catback-17x10.5 TT-nitto 555r-04 cobra mirrors/side skirts-CDC decklid panel,billet fuel door-sequential tails-Mach 1 sills-billet antenna-MGW Mach 1 plate covers-MGW brake handle-35% tint-455 rwhp 389 tq
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You need to make sure any spacer is hubcentric and make sure you get enough thread engagement on your lug nuts regardless of what spacer you run. Best practice is to press in longer ARP studs and then run the hubcentric spacer you need.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires