Painted Wheels Chipping - what to do? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Painted Wheels Chipping - what to do?

Alright, so I bought some gloss black, mounted and balanced wheels in March shipped directly to my door. They are already chipping! Not Cool... I have wheel insurance with the dealer I bought the car from and all they will do is "touch up" the chipped part. Really, it just looks like someone grabed a sharpy and colored in the chip. I have never delt with a situation like this before so not real sure what to do. Do I thow a fit with the dealer to get the wheels fixed properly or do I go back to the company I bought the wheels and tires from? I talked to the place I got the wheels from and they want me to buy a new wheel, get it shipped to my house. Pay to switch out the tire and TPMS, then pay to ship the chipped wheel back. When they recieve the old wheel I will be refunded the cash from only buying the wheel. Just like you all, I dont have time to go round and round with all sorts of people. What do I do?

I am thinking about saying eff it, save my money and get them poweder coated late down the road. I just can't believe they started chipping ALREADY!...and, of course, I got my car washed yesterday and the chip is WAY worse than the picture now. alright, I'm done ranting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	113541  
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
rick9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Once it starts chipping theres really not much you can do unfortunately. If they are that new i would be raising hell with the manufacturer. Where did you buy them from?
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Could you not get the paint removed and have them powder coated?
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Once it starts chipping theres really not much you can do unfortunately. If they are that new i would be raising hell with the manufacturer. Where did you buy them from?
LMR

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mustang99 View Post
Could you not get the paint removed and have them powder coated?
I'm sure I could. I assume that would be rather expensive. Plus this is my daily so I would be without a car for a while.
2011 GT Premium Black on Black, Eibach Sportline, Eibach Camber Bolts, BMRAdjustable Pan-hard bar, 19 x 9 Replica Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 275/35-19, GT/CSFront Fascia, C&L CAI, SCT SF3 w/ Bama Tune, Bassani Axle backs.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9550 View Post

LMR

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

I'm sure I could. I assume that would be rather expensive. Plus this is my daily so I would be without a car for a while.
True, were the lmr ones powder coated?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

LMR

I've heard LMR has some pretty good customer service, although ive never dealt with them. I would give them a call again, maybe offer to send them some pics pf the damage, and try to demand they get you another wheel. 3 months and already chipping is ridiculous, hopefully they stand behing their products.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Alright, so I bought some gloss black, mounted and balanced wheels in March shipped directly to my door. They are already chipping! Not Cool... I have wheel insurance with the dealer I bought the car from and all they will do is "touch up" the chipped part. Really, it just looks like someone grabed a sharpy and colored in the chip. I have never delt with a situation like this before so not real sure what to do. Do I thow a fit with the dealer to get the wheels fixed properly or do I go back to the company I bought the wheels and tires from? I talked to the place I got the wheels from and they want me to buy a new wheel, get it shipped to my house. Pay to switch out the tire and TPMS, then pay to ship the chipped wheel back. When they recieve the old wheel I will be refunded the cash from only buying the wheel. Just like you all, I dont have time to go round and round with all sorts of people. What do I do?

I am thinking about saying eff it, save my money and get them poweder coated late down the road. I just can't believe they started chipping ALREADY!...and, of course, I got my car washed yesterday and the chip is WAY worse than the picture now. alright, I'm done ranting.
i couldn't see the chipping, i think it's covered in dirt?...lol
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
LMR has a two year finsh warranty don't they? Atleast that's what they were for my sve drifts
Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

I've heard LMR has some pretty good customer service, although ive never dealt with them. I would give them a call again, maybe offer to send them some pics pf the damage, and try to demand they get you another wheel. 3 months and already chipping is ridiculous, hopefully they stand behing their products.
Yea. I sent them the pics already. Ill reach out to them again.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Quote:

True, were the lmr ones powder coated?
From what I am seeing, nope. Looks like automotive paint.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus View Post

i couldn't see the chipping, i think it's covered in dirt?...lol
Yea. They were a bit dirty when I took that pic. It's worse today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-345644434.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	113570  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
LMR has a two year finsh warranty don't they? Atleast that's what they were for my sve drifts
They said they would replace the wheel. But I have to buy a new one, switch out the tires and ship the old one on my dime before they refund me the cost of only the wheel.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea. I sent them the pics already. Ill reach out to them again.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

From what I am seeing, nope. Looks like automotive paint.
Im planning on powder coating my fr500s when this happens, much much stronger coating
Old 06-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
It looks like a rock chip from the pic. I had rims that bubbled up and peeled off, and my warranty was denied because they said it was a rock chip. It clearly wasn't because I noticed it bubbling up first before it came off. I did a charge back and won and they ended up having to take all the rims back. It worked out in my favor, but man was it a hassle. It took 8 months. Looking back on it, I would have just got them powder coated if I knew it would be that time consuming to deal with a charge back.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
It looks like a rock chip from the pic. I had rims that bubbled up and peeled off, and my warranty was denied because they said it was a rock chip. It clearly wasn't because I noticed it bubbling up first before it came off. I did a charge back and won and they ended up having to take all the rims back. It worked out in my favor, but man was it a hassle. It took 8 months. Looking back on it, I would have just got them powder coated if I knew it would be that time consuming to deal with a charge back.
Yep. That is the hard part. Its my word vs the what the pic shows. I like LMR and have bought parts from them for years. I have had to send items back before but, I never bought wheels from them before. Kinda tough to send back when the product is so bulky.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

They said they would replace the wheel. But I have to buy a new one, switch out the tires and ship the old one on my dime before they refund me the cost of only the wheel.
That sounds like lmr's customer service, they suc. I learnt to do business locally. I bought Chrome bullets from discount tire 3yrs ago with a 1yr warranty. Had a tire fixed there and told them one wheel was getting a bubble on it, even tho my warranty was long gone. Car was always garaged and had 4mi on them. Got a call a week later, the manager said even tho the manufacture would not replace it, he was ordering two, not one, two new wheels for the rear . Had them installed yesterday and the ol'boy even gave me two tickets to the track this weekend. Discount Tire has earned a customer for life here.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Yep. That is the hard part. Its my word vs the what the pic shows. I like LMR and have bought parts from them for years. I have had to send items back before but, I never bought wheels from them before. Kinda tough to send back when the product is so bulky.
It would be the last thing I bought from them. I spent $2500 with them and had a issue, got the same bs run around, I'll never go back. I've had American Muscle bend over backwards for me and haven't spent chit with them. When I'm ready to mod my current car, ill be calling AM for sure.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

It would be the last thing I bought from them. I spent $2500 with them and had a issue, got the same bs run around, I'll never go back. I've had American Muscle bend over backwards for me and haven't spent chit with them. When I'm ready to mod my current car, ill be calling AM for sure.
AM has awesome customer service. Ive had a few problems arise, and they always do everything they can to take care of me. For instance, when i was putting all mu suspension stuff on. Parts came in on a Friday afternoon, we were installing everything on sat afternoon. AM accidentally shipped me the wrong cc plates. Called them up explained i needed them asap, and without even asking the rep offered to overnight them with Saturday delivery guaranteed by noon, took $25 off the price for me (on top of our forum discount), and obviously paid for return shipping.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Like the stories from AM customer service. They did not have the black Laguna seca when I was in the market. Bummer.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

That sounds like lmr's customer service, they suc. I learnt to do business locally. I bought Chrome bullets from discount tire 3yrs ago with a 1yr warranty. Had a tire fixed there and told them one wheel was getting a bubble on it, even tho my warranty was long gone. Car was always garaged and had 4mi on them. Got a call a week later, the manager said even tho the manufacture would not replace it, he was ordering two, not one, two new wheels for the rear . Had them installed yesterday and the ol'boy even gave me two tickets to the track this weekend. Discount Tire has earned a customer for life here.
I like discount tire too. They are on just about every corner here. Guess I learnt my lesson the hard way.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like the stories from AM customer service. They did not have the black Laguna seca when I was in the market. Bummer.
Thats the only problem ive seen with them. They seem to be out of stock on quite a bit of stuff. Probably because they are one of the more popular vendors i guess. I've been waiting for the pre - painted gt500 spoiler in black for ever.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Moved to wheels and tires

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Found a company here in town that will sand blast and powder coat the wheels for about 600. Is that reasonable?
Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Better than buying a new one that could do the same thing.. I would look at it as a long term investment
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Better than buying a new one that could do the same thing.. I would look at it as a long term investment
Might have to bag this an get some NOS! I think I can deal with chipped paint with over 500 to the wheels! Ha
Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

LMR stepped up. They are sending the wheel for free, providing a return box with postage as well as reimbursing the mount and balance!

Thanks to Mike at LMR.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nice glad it worked out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires