Summer tires or all season? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Summer tires or all season?

I'm going to be buying a set of wheels and tires in the next 2 weeks. I'm looking for some feedback from others that live in the North East. My car is a daily driver and I only work 2 miles from my house. I don't do any auto cross and have yet taken it to the drag strip but will def be doing that soon. I've never had a set of Summer tires but from what I see on here and other forums that seems to be the tire most are running. How bad are these in the winter, mainly the cold??? I won't be driving in the snow and like I said even if I have to worst case scenario I'm only going 2 miles. Right now I have my eye on the Staggered 18x9 front and 18x10 rear black bullitt Motorsport & NITTO tire package from AM.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Are you keeping your current wheels? I ran my Hankook Ventus RS3s in the snow a couple times but I don't recommend it. Traction was pretty iffy especially when got above 2K rpms. If you're keeping your current wheels then just pick up a set of snow tires for those.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if I'm gonna keep them or not... They are 235 50 faulken all seasons. They were no good in the little bit of snow/ slush that we got this past winter. Like I said though I'm not worried about snow, we only get 2 or 3 snows a year any more and if I'm driving in it it's just home 2 miles from work. I don't want to base me buying tires on bad weather that might be a total of 5 days outta the year but also don't want to buy a tire that will suck when it's cold.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Understandable. I went with two sets of rims and tires so I could just switch them bout when necessary. The one issue with running summer tires in the winter is that they don't heat hip very quickly and have 0 traction until they warm up
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Understandable. I went with two sets of rims and tires so I could just switch them bout when necessary. The one issue with running summer tires in the winter is that they don't heat hip very quickly and have 0 traction until they warm up
Gotcha. Can always just do some burnouts in the drive way on my way out
Old 06-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully08GT View Post

Gotcha. Can always just do some burnouts in the drive way on my way out
Haha that could work
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just replaced the OEM summer rated tires on my 2013 GT with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All-Season, 255/45R18 since we frequent freezing days in northern Virginia in the winter. The rims I bought (American Racing Mavericks) only come in 18" or 20". Accordingly a car is more stable with 18" rims than 20" rims so I went with 18"x8" rims. I still have the OEM wheel/tires that I took off if you hear of anyone looking for some (945 miles on them).
Old 06-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
I just put the Goodyear Eagle Gt 255/45/ZR/19 on my car yesterday!! I love them so much traction! Specially over the stock tires!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires