Tires/rims staggered? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post

What are you talking about every few months??? How many miles do you drive a month?? I put 500+ miles on my car a week, and have had a staggered setup for 5 months and my tires look nearly brand new still. Just make sure your alignment is good OP, and your tires will wear just like they normally would. Like i said you will loose a FEW extra miles from not being able to rotate them, but thats it.
Thank you evil. That was my experience in my staggered set up for my 05.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
As far as weight and saving some,factory boss wheels weigh 32-35 lb's. each,you go forged like I did the wheels weigh appox. 10lb's less each,40+ pound savings and they are stronger too. As far as price and tire sizing 20's will be cheaper and more variety to chose from,also an option for the shelby and roush. Instead of a 285/35/19 you would use 285/30/20 for the same height so no tuning required. Plus more room for cooling and bigger brakes.
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

It's not the speedo I'm worried about. You guys are correct in saying I want to avoid a tune at all costs. Don't want to void my warranty.

But what I'm worried about is that I heard (rumors) that when you go staggered it causes a problem with the traction controls and your car gives you this wrench icon and bogs down.

Have you heard anything like that?
I'm running a super staggered set,
255/35
295/35
I have no idea what this wrench icon you're talking about is..
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

255/35
295/35
Pretty sure he was referring to the TPMS sensors setting a light off if you dont get them installed and recalibrated. I explained earlier for him.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

255/35
295/35
And believe me there's a GOOD thing lol

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Pretty sure he was referring to the TPMS sensors setting a light off if you dont get them installed and recalibrated. I explained earlier for him.
Yeah I'll deff keep an eye out for this
Thanks
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

What is the boss set up?

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Yeah guys I'm not tracking the car just wanted more traction. Thank you so much for the advice I'll prob go 295/40/19 in the read and 265 in the front
The Boss 302 comes with 255/40-19 in front, 285/35-19 in rear, Pirelli PZero Summer tires.

If you go to Tirerack.com you can put in any car and they'll list the factory sizes the came with. You can then list all the manufactures that make the sizes and compare ratings, tread wear, etc.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

The Boss 302 comes with 255/40-19 in front, 285/35-19 in rear, Pirelli PZero Summer tires.

If you go to Tirerack.com you can put in any car and they'll list the factory sizes the came with. You can then list all the manufactures that make the sizes and compare ratings, tread wear, etc.
They also list the overall diameters which are around 27" for all stock mustang tires, 18's or 19's (the stock 18's having a large sidewall, 50 series). Obviously if you go to a lower sidewall series you could end up with a smaller diameter tire (depending in the width) so you could add to the gap between tire and fender which is pretty big to begin with. Whether or not you buy from tirerack is not the point, they have great comparison charts to clarify what you will get if you choose a specific tire, the recommended rim width, etc. good stuff!
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If your going to change the factory wheel I would pay attention to that actual diameter of the tire. If you keep your rim and wheel combination close to or the same as the stock wheel diameter, you will not have any alteration of your speedometer readings.

Now regarding the post above, I cannot comment on the Mustang computer but when I was changing the wheel rim combinations on my GT3 for track purposes you had to keep the front and rear wheel diameter within a certain percentage of the stock specs otherwise it would cause the computer to think that there is a problem with the ABS. the computer monitors the difference in speed of the front and rear wheels and changing that ratio could cause the computer to trip a code or react to it.

If you stay with the same diameters front and rear you will be fine.

As far as stagger is concerned. if you do it for looks then go at it. if your doing it for road handling then you may have to do some research with someone who has done it with the combination that your looking at for the best feedback.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I think you guys are making it more complicated than it really needs to be. He already said hes not tracking it, just looking for a little more grip on the street. Nothing extreme. Going with a 255 or 265/40/19 in the front and a 285 or 295/40/19 in the rear is not going to do anything to harm the car, throw a code, or require a tune. I promise you. There are TONS of people running staggered to prove it, myself included. Do you think companies like American Muscle would sell staggered sets if they caused problems?? If we were talking about drastic changes in tire height or rim diameter thats when these factors could be a concern.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I think you guys are making it more complicated than it really needs to be. He already said hes not tracking it, just looking for a little more grip on the street. Nothing extreme. Going with a 255 or 265/40/19 in the front and a 285 or 295/40/19 in the rear is not going to do anything to harm the car, throw a code, or require a tune. I promise you. There are TONS of people running staggered to prove it, myself included. Do you think companies like American Muscle would sell staggered sets if they caused problems?? If we were talking about drastic changes in tire height or rim diameter thats when these factors could be a concern.
That solves it then.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
That solves it then.
I mean don't get me wrong, not trying to be an ***, and the information you gave is correct. But i think in this case its just a bit of overkill. I dont wanna confuse the OP.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The invos have 9k on them and almost full tread still. Any tire won't last depending how you drive it. I've had almost every kind of summer tire and they are all the same.

Yes the Staggered look is the way to go. I've never lossed traction with these 20s as with the stock brembo 19s I have with both stock pirellis and Bridgestone pole position. If your worried about weigh etc then goto 15s and get drag radials. I don't see why people whine about 20s vs 19s it's not a hell of a lot weight difference. As for the tune no I haven't tuned my car for these 20s the only thing I wish is that I went for 315 for the rear "stance wise and appearance" instead of the 296 but once I burn the rears off I will be getting 315s
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
fwiw, I have 8k miles on the staggered Nitto Invos on my 2011 GT (275/35-20's front and 315/35-20's rear) and they are holding up great,I know I will get another 20k out of them- no problem. I run them pretty hard (street) too- very happy with them.
2011 GT M6 Premium- Mechanical upgrades include: Boss 302 Intake, JLT CAI, JPC LT Headers, Off Road X Pipe, and mufflers, 410 Gears, Granatelli Hot Street Coil Packs, 93 Octane Ghost Cam Tune by Jon Lund,Eibach ProKit Springs,shocks, struts and sway bars, BMR LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, and adjustable Panhard Bar, Maximum Motorsports Camber/Caster Plates, Barton Shortshifter and bracket, Wilwood Superlight Brakes w/6 and 4 piston calipers, Steeda Spyders- 9-1/2X20 with 275/35 and 11X20 with 315/35 Nitto Invos.
bellski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #49
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Moved to wheels and tires

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires