Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I put 275/40/19 on my Brembos

28K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  InfinibandGT 
#1 ·
So I finally bought new tires and I went wider and a touch higher than the stock 255/40/19 tires. I went with 275/40/19 and I am not loving it, but I also don't hate it. They fill the wheel wells a little better, but I still think the car rides too high. Here are some pics I took this morning, I will try to take better ones later.

Attachments

See less See more
#19 ·
Actually I am growing to really like them. The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they have a lot of grip and drive really smooth. I wanted to stay with the same size all around, so I can still rotate. I spent the day driving around with the top and I am happy. However I will lower it, I just think it needs to be done. In hind sight I should have gone for these; 285-35-19

2011 GT 5.0 with Brembo Package - What Tires sizes are compatible? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

#18 ·
Just lower it, and it will look great, I don't have any rubbing at all, the rear tires look great from a back view, all 4 fill the wheels wells perfectly. The front tires I almost can not distinguish them from my old 255's, unless I leave the car steered to a side. I lower it using STEEDA Sport springs 1" in front & about 1.25" in the back. My car looks great and does not look higher than stock.:dance:
(By the way this is an old photo, at that time I only had the 275's in the back, now is squared at 275, and I toke the black plastidip paint out from my Brembo's, I think they look better stock (unpainted).

Attachments

#20 ·
275/40/19 is a bit different than 255/40/19. People don't realize that the 40 is actually a percentage in relations to the width of the tire.

So 40 on a 255 is thinner than on a 275. Like the user said if you went 35 then you would be within a percentage or two of your original diameter of your stock tires.

If you went thicker 285 it might be best to go 30's.

Lowering your car won't solve fat Jeep off road type tires but flip side is thicker wall tires with soft compound will net typically better straight line performance than stiff thin walled tires.

#26 ·
I think the car looks great, lowered it will be perfect. Main thing is how well it drives, obviously. I used 255/40 19 in front and 285/35 on the rear because I found those sizes to be a close match as far as height, but as you can see in this pic the 255 really doesn't fill out the wheel well. That 275/40 19 looks really nice

#27 · (Edited)
I think the car looks great, lowered it will be perfect. Main thing is how well it drives, obviously. I used 255/40 19 in front and 285/35 on the rear because I found those sizes to be a close match as far as height, but as you can see in this pic the 255 really doesn't fill out the wheel well. That 275/40 19 looks really nice
Yours looks great! I have purchased a eibach lowering kit and I will post new pics after its completed.

Oh by the way I love your rims.. What kind are they?

#30 ·
I'm shopping for tires right now. I like that, it would be an improvement for me. I have the Brembo package and I'm 4-wheeling, especially after installing lighter axle-backs. I need tires worse than lowering at this point. I'm not looking forward to potential curb rash on the front end when parking after lowering.

Thanks for the post. I might try this.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

By the way, how does it ride? Better or worse?

#33 · (Edited)
Ok so I have had the car lowered using the Eibach Pro Plus Kit. Which included Shocks, struts and sway-bars. I am getting used to the look but the cars drive-ability has really impressed me. Bumps feel different now, there is less bouncing and more like a sharp bump. Cornering and lane changes feels great. There is no longer any front end rise on acceleration and the front end dive on braking is gone. All in all I am happy, now its soon time to put it away for the winter :(

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.