Wider tires on new edge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Hey guys I just have a few questions.

1. Is a 17x10.5 rim with a 315/35/17 drag radial tire too wide to go on my almost stock new edge GT.

2. Will I have to roll fenders?

3. Will I even be able to drop the clutch and spin them without them gripping and taking off? (I like to do burnouts on occasion haha).

4. Would a 17x9 rim be better option?
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
1. If you aren't lowered you will be perfectly fine.
2. If you are lowered then yes you will need to roll fenders.
3. Yes you should be able to if you rev it enough and dump it.
4. No, get the 10.5s.

There are people that run 335s and up on 99-04 Mustangs, if you are lowered past 1.25-1.5" i would say it would be smart to roll the fenders, if you aren't lowered then you should be fine. I personally have 18x10s in the back and i'm lowered about 1.25" i believe, and they fit just fine.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
4. No, get the 10.5s.

There are people that run 335s and up on 99-04 Mustangs, if you are lowered past 1.25-1.5" i would say it would be smart to roll the fenders, if you aren't lowered then you should be fine. I personally have 18x10s in the back and i'm lowered about 1.25" i believe, and they fit just fine.
Ok thanks for the info, I'm stock suspension right now I was looking to lower in the future so this is nice to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
4. No, get the 10.5s.

What kind of tires would you recommend? Wanting radials but am open to anything
Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you are looking for really good traction off of drag radials then go with some Mickey Thompsons ET Street Radials. If you want good drag radials that will last you a while get some Nitto 555Rs.

If its your DD you could get some good traction off of regular summer tires. I got 18x10s with 285 Sumimoto HTR Z II tires, i wanted DRs because they are great. But after having these, i'm happy. I thought they wouldn't stick that well being street tires (i was going from 245 all seasons with crappy tread, so anything is better) but with these i can rev to 3500-4k, let the clutch out pretty quickly and only very slightly spin them, i used to spin all the way through 2nd, now i just chirp it and i'm off.

It all depends on what you want from the car. Mine is my DD and i am in college so i don't have a whole ton of money to replace the tires which is why i didn't get DRs (granted they only have about 2-300 miles on them right now since the beginning of August). You also have to keep in mind that if you have to drive it in the rain with DRs you will have to go like 20 below the speed limit to prevent hydroplaning.

Hope any of this helped.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
On a minor bolton 2v something like a bfg kdw2 will hook well on the street, last forever and be good in the rain. I could hook 400 whp on a 295. On the gt they dead hooked.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just got 315/35/17 toyo proxes tq

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'm running 315/35/17 and am lowered 1.5 in the back, u will need to roll your fenders
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
I'm running 315/35/17 and am lowered 1.5 in the back, u will need to roll your fenders
What kind of suspension are you running?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post

What kind of suspension are you running?
Eibach sportlines
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

Eibach sportlines
Is eibach suppose to be the best? I'm totally clueless on suspension aspect. I see people running H&R's and SR too.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Is eibach suppose to be the best? I'm totally clueless on suspension aspect. I see people running H&R's and SR too.
Eibach is certainly one of the several top suspension companies that make lower springs. Steeda makes top notch springs as well. You really can't go wrong with either brand.

With a 1.5" drop or less, you may be able to get away with a 315/35/17 and not roll the fenders. I know a few guys who have done this, including myself. However, having the fenders rolled isn't a bad idea for extra clearance.

What's the rest of your suspension mods? I'm assuming you're picking up struts/shocks and caster/camber plates?

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'm pretty low with some 315/35s and only have minor rubbing issues when hitting hard bumps. 17X9s look pretty sunk in when you get pretty low
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

Eibach is certainly one of the several top suspension companies that make lower springs. Steeda makes top notch springs as well. You really can't go wrong with either brand.

With a 1.5" drop or less, you may be able to get away with a 315/35/17 and not roll the fenders. I know a few guys who have done this, including myself. However, having the fenders rolled isn't a bad idea for extra clearance.

What's the rest of your suspension mods? I'm assuming you're picking up struts/shocks and caster/camber plates?

Shane
Thanks for the info, I don't have any suspension mods as of now. I'm still in school and can't afford everything at once so I'm looking to slowly build it up from here on and just looking for the best. I'm not sure if ill replace struts and shocks, they're pretty expensive but if needs be I will. I do mostly small town driving with lots of brick roads unfortunately. Longest trip I do is a 10 mile drive to a bigger town and go to the drag strip often
Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I don't have any suspension mods as of now. I'm still in school and can't afford everything at once so I'm looking to slowly build it up from here on and just looking for the best. I'm not sure if ill replace struts and shocks, they're pretty expensive but if needs be I will. I do mostly small town driving with lots of brick roads unfortunately. Longest trip I do is a 10 mile drive to a bigger town and go to the drag strip often
I completely understand you're on a tight budget as a school student. I've been in those same shoes before! Below, I wrote a quick run-down of the most affordable, but functional parts needed for your Mustang, using the SR springs or any 1.5" lowering spring.

It's physically possible to lower your Mustang and keep the factory struts/shocks. The problem is- they'll wear out extremely quickly or even break internally after hitting a hard pot hole. The factory dampeners just aren't designed to be set this low, so they tend to bottom out easily on lowered cars (94-04). I highly suggest swapping in aftermarket struts/shocks while performing the spring install, since the dampeners will be removed/re-installed anyways.

The most affordable, but quality dampeners we carry are the KYB GR-2 front struts and rear shocks. Not only will these dampeners not bottom out with lowering springs, but they'll also stabilize the handling of your Mustang. You'll notice much more confidence in the cars ability to hug turns.

Lastly, you'll need a set of Caster/Camber plates in order maintain a proper alignment. Some guys use camber bolts instead of CC plates, but I've found that camber bolts don't quite cut it with 79-04 Mustangs. You're much better off with a quality/budget set of SR Performance CC plates. These plates allow for a wide span of adjustment, which in the end prevents uneven tire tread wear.

With these two additional upgrades, you'll be able to correctly lowering your Mustang's ride height. Of course, there's always more suspension improvements that can be made, but struts/shocks & CC plates are the only two in which are mandatory to prevent problems.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this particular setup or another you had in mind. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires