Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New tires at the strip

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  5LHO 
#1 ·
I just went to the track with my new nitto 555 255-45-18 street radial and they really grip. You have to do a burnout but they hook up like drag radials must. I launched at 2100 rpm with no prob and had a 1.9 60 foot time. I beat a 2000 ls1 Camaro with 150 shot of nos. Very happy with tires.

#9 ·
2011, what is your front brake set up? Stock?

Have you upgraded the torque converter from stock?

Asking b/c I have a set of Nitto 555s and new set of 18.5 lb wheels going on next week.

Thx.

Blu

#12 ·
Let's put it this way...I can drop the clutch at 6000 rpm on a real drag slick and have the car dead hook, if there's any sort of reasonable track prep done. So, "hook like drag radials" on a 2100 rpm launch may be overstating the point a bit.

Honestly, the sweet spot on my 3.73 car is 4500. The car likes to eat in first a little, I find.

#14 ·
I was thinking about getting drag radials any recommendations in an 18 or 17".

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Let's put it this way...I can drop the clutch at 6000 rpm on a real drag slick and have the car dead hook, if there's any sort of reasonable track prep done. So, "hook like drag radials" on a 2100 rpm launch may be overstating the point a bit.

Honestly, the sweet spot on my 3.73 car is 4500. The car likes to eat in first a little, I find.
Yes I did overstate especially since I have never had drag radials. I was excited after beating a Camaro driver that was telling me how he would beat me bye 2 car lengths.

#15 ·
I understand your excitement. It keeps me coming back to the strip year after year. I felt the same when I finally shoved the car into the 11s, Cinderella-style, on the last race day of the season.

These cars are beasts and the 5.0 is not to be underestimated, even in a full weight car. Even the new Camaros have plenty to worry about here, despite a 1.4 litre engine size advantage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.