Stock tires on 10in wide rims - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Region: South Dakota
Stock tires on 10in wide rims

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my stock size tires(can't remember the size and car is in the body shop) will fit on 18x10 wheels? The reason I ask is I want to get staggered wheels but can't afford tires and wheels at the same time plus my tires only have about 6000 miles on them. This is my first post as a new member so don't be too hard on me
mustangtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you are getting wider wheels, just get new tires. If you really don't want to waste the tires then get the new wheels after your tread life is gone.

And btw, welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here, lots of really nice and smart people on here.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I believe stock tires come as 245/45/18.

Those would be maximum 8.5" so don't try to fit 245s on 10" metal. Save money first then buy tires and rims because:

1.) Tire / Wheel package saves you some money and it comes pre mounted
2.) having to take the stock tires off to put onto the new wheels will cost money
3.) you can then have an extra set of rims (all season for winter and summer for well... Summer)
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

+1 on tire/wheel combos.

I spent $1250 on AM and got 18x9/10s with tires. Normally those tires are $164 and $169 each (on AM), and the wheels are $149 and $169. The big O around here mounts and balances tires for $30 each. I also got 20 chrome locking lugnuts... So if you do the math it comes out to just about $1500 for all of it separately. I saved $250 in the wheel and tire package.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Plus if you put 245s on a 10" rim you really won't have the staggered look you're going for.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

This is my buddies Genesis. He was running a 245 on a 10 inch rim. It's kind of a stretch look and I don't think it'll be all that safe. You're better off waiting until you can afford a wider set of tires or pick up some used tired to hold you over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3537457564.png
Views:	121
Size:	552.3 KB
ID:	129841
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
This is my buddies Genesis. He was running a 245 on a 10 inch rim. It's kind of a stretch look and I don't think it'll be all that safe. You're better off waiting until you can afford a wider set of tires or pick up some used tired to hold you over.
Good god man. How's it handle? It's got virtually no sidewalls to support and lean on in corners. It probably slides all over the place and has no traction in straight lines.

Yeah OP negative infinity on this setup. You could do it. Doesn't look horrible but for performance put wider tires on. Plus as another poster said you won't technically have staggered by doing this.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Like primers friend has done it so has one of my friend on his 240. Not safe and is stretched, sell you're stock tires and save up for the correct size tire
Old 09-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Good god man. How's it handle? It's got virtually no sidewalls to support and lean on in corners. It probably slides all over the place and has no traction in straight lines. Yeah OP negative infinity on this setup. You could do it. Doesn't look horrible but for performance put wider tires on. Plus as another poster said you won't technically have staggered by doing this.
Yeah, he has to run so much camber just to fit a 10 inch wide rim, he's pretty much riding on the edge of the tire. Makes no sense.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires