V6 Perf Pack spare tire solution? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #36
Registered Member
Region: Massachusetts
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Does the standard spare just not fit the front brakes? I believe none of the V6's came with staggered rims from the factory so why not just buy the standard spare and if you happen to get a flat on the front put the spare on the rear and then put the good rim on the front? In my 12 years of driving I've gotten maybe 2-3 flat tires, although I would always prefer to have a spare on hand just in case. And I would prefer to change out 2 rims (might take another 15 minutes) then potentially be stranded for 3-4 hours waiting for AAA.
The general concensus was that the standard 17" mini spare that came with many Mustangs would not fit the front of a car equipped with the V6 Performance Package. Although I never had the oppurtunity to try it.
I know the potential for rear end damage when using different diameter tires. But it is intended as a Temp only and at reduced speeds.
The std mini spare issured by Ford on many of the Mustangs models is a good 1" difference in dia. So I figure if Ford does it, it can't be all that bad if you limit it to emergency use only, as directed. On the other hand, depending on the circumstances, I too would change out 2 wheels, to be safe.

14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #37
Registered Member
I hate to be one to bring back a dead thread, but i'm in the same boat right now. I just resized my front brakes and now don't have a spare that fits.
here's is something that has been found out my 11 to 14 v6 stick with the performance package can have 12.43 inch rotors, the caliper for a base and a gt are the very same part number, the caliper mount bracket is different than a gt so the 17 inch donut kit ford sells fits. if the car is a auto some people are finding that they have the 13.22 inch rotors the 17 inch donuts WILL NOT fit, there one needs the 18 inch kit sold by AM for the 15 and 16's also there are many kits and spare wheels on ebay from earlier gt's .

captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #38
Registered Member

Region: Massachusetts
The 18" alloy spares do pop up on eBay now and then; I just saw some that are essentially new takeoffs selling for around $145-$155 apiece, which is about as low as they get.

I bought one of these and swapped it out with my steel spare. The alloy spare is a good couple of pounds lighter than the steel spare too--so bonus weight savings.

If anybody needs a brand-new never-mounted steel spare, hit me up.

2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires