V6 Perf Pack spare tire solution? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
V6 Perf Pack spare tire solution?

Any 3.7 Performance Pack owners find a spare tire solution? Apparently the larger front brakes don't accept a standard spare or a 17" wheel. I found a couple threads on GT500 and GT Brembo owners buying 18" Drag wheel/tire combos that fit in the spare wheel well, but stick up a bit. Anyone buy a spare and what did you get?

Thanks!
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hi Otis

I really do not think there is anyone in this Mustang world of ours that ever even tried to see if the 18 inch wheel with a tire on it would fit in the wheel well on a late model Mustang. I have asked about this on several Forums including the MCA forum and never found the answer yet.
If I ever get a cool enough day here in Florida I'm gonna take a wheel off of my car and see if it will fit. 18 inch MCA wheel with the stock tire on it.
I sure would rather have a spare instead of the replacement air pump thing in my trunk. I don't even care about a jack because I have AAA and they will change a wheel but won't fix a flat tire on the road.
You would think someone would come up with a donut that would fit over the brake caliper on a Mustang.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I really do not think there is anyone in this Mustang world of ours that ever even tried to see if the 18 inch wheel with a tire on it would fit in the wheel well on a late model Mustang. I have asked about this on several Forums including the MCA forum and never found the answer yet.
If I ever get a cool enough day here in Florida I'm gonna take a wheel off of my car and see if it will fit. 18 inch MCA wheel with the stock tire on it.
I sure would rather have a spare instead of the replacement air pump thing in my trunk. I don't even care about a jack because I have AAA and they will change a wheel but won't fix a flat tire on the road.
You would think someone would come up with a donut that would fit over the brake caliper on a Mustang.

Ronnie
Ronnie, here's what I found regarding a full sized 18" wheel fully inflated as a spare. It's a drag DR-31 with 35 offset. Fits in spare well, but sticks up a little. These are all GT500 or GT Brembo owners. Was hoping a 3.7 PP owner maybe tried a narrower wheel with proper offset, since our front brakes are "unique" and got it to sit completely flush in the trunk well. Anyhow hope this helps you out.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Ronnie, here's what I found regarding a full sized 18" wheel fully inflated as a spare. It's a drag DR-31 with 35 offset. Fits in spare well, but sticks up a little. These are all GT500 or GT Brembo owners. Was hoping a 3.7 PP owner maybe tried a narrower wheel with proper offset, since our front brakes are "unique" and got it to sit completely flush in the trunk well. Anyhow hope this helps you out.
Here's the link
2011 Mustang GT with Brembo package and full spare - Ford Mustang Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #4

How are our front brakes "unique"? They're just GT brakes.
zbrewha863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I guess that's unique for a V6 to have GT brakes?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

GT brakes?

If the front brakes are just GT brakes please let me know. I have read the calipers are GT, but not the entire front brake setup. When I said "unique" I was quoting Fords vague description directly. Do you have any info on the original question? If they are in fact standard GT brakes, then a GT spare donut would work. No?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
If the front brakes are just GT brakes please let me know. I have read the calipers are GT, but not the entire front brake setup. When I said "unique" I was quoting Fords vague description directly. Do you have any info on the original question? If they are in fact standard GT brakes, then a GT spare donut would work. No?
We have Unique brake pads on the front and rear, basically a baby Brembo car.
As for the stock 17's not fitting, some have had problems but I have a set of Roush take offs that I run in the winter.

Also the only wheels they seem to have had problems were the base wheels, mine are the premium.
As for it fitting in the trunk, it will not fit in the hole for the spare with air in it. UPS Freight was afraid to come up my street so I had mine delivered to work and tried to put one in the spare hole to bring them home, didn't work with air in it.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Siber Express, thanks for the info. Good to know premium spec 17" wheels will fit. Sweet looking MCA
Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Siber Express, thanks for the info. Good to know premium spec 17" wheels will fit. Sweet looking MCA
Thanks, to me the MCA/Performance Package combo was the perfect combo for me. I drove over 200 miles to get it.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I was thinking of putting one of my winter wheels in the well. Never got around to it Almost time to switch so I might carry a summer in the trunk for emergencies
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if anyone might know the weight difference between carrying the spare vs the tire inflator.
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakol View Post
I wonder if anyone might know the weight difference between carrying the spare vs the tire inflator.
Gonna say from experience, about 50 pounds. But in the light rear of a mustang, it helps balance it out.

Mine came with a 17 spare, lug wrench(crap), but the one from AM, and a jack, also crap, buy a cylinder jack or stronger scissor. Also came with the fuel nozzle and a neat hook to tie it together and instructions with a mustang on it.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Gonna say from experience, about 50 pounds.
Dead on.

I weighed it, and all of that equipment equals almost exactly 50 lbs.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input. I recently upgraded 17" stockers to 20" staggered. And the fronts now have upgraded Brembos. The front rim/tire weigh 52 lbs and the back rim/tire weigh 55 lbs give or take. Wonder if the weight is relatively the same, I might get another replica of the front rim/tire that will clear Brembos and work for rear too as spare. Only problem is living with the raised trunk floor as the front is a 8.5" rim. Don't know if this is a viable option or not.

Also, not sure if TPMS sensors are necessary for spare if I get replica. What think?

Here's pics of before, after and detail of front 8.5 x 20 rim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2724477814.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	131057   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2919338816.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	597.8 KB
ID:	131058  

Name:	image-3637026282.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	131062  
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
The solution that worked for me was I scored a set of OEM tires rims so I don't have to run my summer onlys in winter (I don't drive it in snow but do live in CT) and on trips of more than 50 miles I throw a spare tire/rim/jack from junk yard....I figure if I get a flat within reasonable distance from home I'll call in a favor a friend or neighbor and get a ride from them. I looked into donuts and figured the cost was a lot compared to getting a complete set of tires from someone close enough to drive to so I didn't have to pay shipping.

No, it doesn't fit in the tire well but since no-one fits in the back seat any luggage will fit there.

Old enough to remember feeling ripped off when they started giving donuts instead of full sized spares, now the donut is the upgrade. This makes me feel even older.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

ME TOO !!!!!

Strange Mud Said;
Quote:
Old enough to remember feeling ripped off when they started giving donuts instead of full sized spares, now the doughnut is the upgrade. This makes me feel even older.
Who would have ever thought that a tire pump with some fix-A-flat would be a safe alternative to a spare tire or even a doughnut.? They all talk about safety and do things like this.

Ain't much a thief likes better then a stranded motorist sitting along a roadway with a car problem.

You would think all of the car company's would provide a way to purchase a doughnut to act as a spare just for their customers safety.

Ronnie
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I drive at least 3 times a week from Sanford Florida to Tampa, all highway. I got a flat on one trip (not a blowout; I keep my tires properly inflated, and buy quality tires). The bottle of "inflate-goop" worked just fine, and I was able to inflate with the mini compressor and drive back home at highway speeds. I figured this was better to have, then to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere. Your logic is good Ronnie, but the goop can does work enough in most cases to get you out of a situation where your car is stranded. Typically, it would take you or an AAA person longer to remove the flat, then install the spare verses injecting a can of spray goop and inflating the tire.

After my flat, I took the rim/tire to Ford, and they removed the tire, cleaned out the goop easily, and they even replaced the tire pressure sensor for free, and I was good to go. Bought another can of the goop while I was there.

For the record, I have the spare tire kit that Ford used to sell (not sure if its available anymore) that they provided with the '12's and up. It sits in my garage. Got it for free from another Mustang owner that traded in his in.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Trust me when I say this:

If the puncture is very close to the side of the tire, THE GOOP DOES NOT WORK. If the puncture is on a sidewall, THE GOOP WILL NOT WORK. If the hole in the tire is long and large, THE GOOP WILL NOT WORK.

It will work fine for about 75% of tire punctures but sure will leave you stranded 1/4 of the time.

Ford roadside assistance and AAA will only put your spare on if you have one. They do not plug or patch a tire. They will tow your car to a place to be repaired though.

My point is that the car Manufactures should be able to provide some sort of wheel that can act as a spare to get you going if the 25% problem exists.

It can't be that difficult for them to come up with something.

Ronnie
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah - I'm in the same boat with my Brembo GT. Of the last two flats I've had, one was from a nasty pothole that was hidden in some water and it split my sidewall. I need to get my winter set of tires and wheels soon and I will probably just start carrying a tire/wheel from the other set in my trunk. I've been nervous about taking any road trips with this car because of this. I've never had a car without a spare tire.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ordered a 17x7 Drag D-50 with 215/60/17 tires and proper lug nuts ($180 shipped from discount tires). Ends up 1/8" larger in diameter than the stock pp tires and about 1/4" bigger than the brembo spare solution. The spare well looks like it should fit the tire fully inflated and the width should be narrow enough to allow the floor board in the trunk to sit fairly flush. Having wheel weights mounted on lip to avoid brake clearance issues. No TPMS so warning light will come on if used but I'm ok with that. Will update when they arrive. Now just got to buy a small jack and tire iron.

Spacefish - here's a link to the Brembo/GT500 full sized spare. Fits in spare well fully inflated.
Found a spare wheel/tire - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Spacefish - here's a link to the Brembo/GT500 full sized spare. Fits in spare well fully inflated.
Found a spare wheel/tire - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Thanks!
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I do want to add with my method (differant tire) which has a slightly differant OD if I get a flat I'll make sure to put the oddball tire on the front because of the Limited Slip Diff...I'm not sure it's needed but the extra effort (if needed) will be worth if if it is needed. I looked at the link that spare is almost $300 that's 1/2 of what I paid for 4 almost new 19" pirelli neros and rims. It is a great link thx, it's just a lot of $.....

just sayin...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If the puncture is very close to the side of the tire, THE GOOP DOES NOT WORK. If the puncture is on a sidewall, THE GOOP WILL NOT WORK. If the hole in the tire is long and large, THE GOOP WILL NOT WORK.

It will work fine for about 75% of tire punctures but sure will leave you stranded 1/4 of the time.

Ford roadside assistance and AAA will only put your spare on if you have one. They do not plug or patch a tire. They will tow your car to a place to be repaired though.

My point is that the car Manufactures should be able to provide some sort of wheel that can act as a spare to get you going if the 25% problem exists.

It can't be that difficult for them to come up with something.

Ronnie
They do, or used to. I forgot the part number, but a spare tire kit could be ordered, as equipped in the late 2011's and 2012's; albeit a donut spare.

Easily done: head out to a bone yard and buy a rim/tire of your size. With all the Mustangs being sold now, the yards are starting to fill with late model Mustangs. You may even get lucky and get one with your style rim.

I gotta say, I've never had a tire get cut on the side wall, or at a point it was not repairable. If it happens, I'll use my Ford towing service that came with my purchase, and have it towed to the nearest tire store or Ford service center. Not having a spare tire is a small concern for me. I'm covered.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the update. 17x7" Drags fit in spare well fine. It's a snug fit, so the 5 spoke pattern works well, allowing me to grab the bottom of the tire and pull it free. Tire sticks above floor slightly, floor board sits pretty flat with a little play on the sides. Here are photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4265429688.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	132066   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3737953856.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	132067  

Old 10-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
Lord NoMoney
Staff

I had a full size spare until I bought a system but I sold it the other day now I need to get my full size back in before its to late!!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Update part 2. Here are a couple pics showing the fit of the wheel and clearance of balance weights at calipers. Not a bad spare set up at $180 with very similar tire diameter to PP 255 tires. On a side note, I'm not very impressed with the finish on this Drag wheel. The clear coat shows fine scratches just from running my finger on the surface, but as a spare tire I don't mind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-889250821.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	132068   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-400605311.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	132069  

Old 10-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
I had a full size spare until I bought a system but I sold it the other day now I need to get my full size back in before its to late!!
I hear you! It's nice knowing it's there if I need it, especially if in a remote area.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
I hear you! It's nice knowing it's there if I need it, especially if in a remote area.
I put a full size in there after I had to use my spare two months in a row and of course haven't used it since haha
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
We have Unique brake pads on the front and rear, basically a baby Brembo car.
As for the stock 17's not fitting, some have had problems but I have a set of Roush take offs that I run in the winter.

Also the only wheels they seem to have had problems were the base wheels, mine are the premium.
As for it fitting in the trunk, it will not fit in the hole for the spare with air in it. UPS Freight was afraid to come up my street so I had mine delivered to work and tried to put one in the spare hole to bring them home, didn't work with air in it.
Hi Siber
I know this is an old thread but I have to ask. Is it certain that the 17" mini-spare will not fit these V6 perf package cars. My 14 only says the pads a different. ???
Thanks
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

If it is a manual it should, or at least the base V6 Spare, the Automatic rotors are the same size as the GT.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it is a manual it should, or at least the base V6 Spare, the Automatic rotors are the same size as the GT.
Wow now I'm really confused.
What little I could find on the brakes said that "the brake pads were different (On the Manual only)".
Is the base V6 spare different than the Mini-spare that comes with the standard GT? I know there's a mini 17" spare in the std GT's. I assumed there was only one mini-spare kit. ???
I didn't see any reference to the rotors being the same as the GT but I don't doubt it.
Going to the dealer tomorrow AM to pick up my registration. Will bring a tape measure to estimate the size of the V6 rotor vs. the GT rotor vs. my V6 PP rotors.
This is driving me crazy!

thanks
Old 06-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Wow now I'm really confused.
What little I could find on the brakes said that "the brake pads were different (On the Manual only)".
Is the base V6 spare different than the Mini-spare that comes with the standard GT? I know there's a mini 17" spare in the std GT's. I assumed there was only one mini-spare kit. ???
I didn't see any reference to the rotors being the same as the GT but I don't doubt it.
Going to the dealer tomorrow AM to pick up my registration. Will bring a tape measure to estimate the size of the V6 rotor vs. the GT rotor vs. my V6 PP rotors.
This is driving me crazy!

thanks
Someone I know bought the 17 inch Roush take offs for his Performance Package with an automatic, Did not fit, the front rubbed. Went to fordparts.com and was checking out the front brakes and the automatic PP cars have GT brakes on the front.
I do believe your right on the GT's having the same spare, so I would think the spare would fit as long as you don't have Brembos on it.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It blows my mind how many people are willing to drive without a spare and the "I'll just call a tow truck" attitude. While you are yakking on your phone hoping a truck won't take long I'll be swapped out and driving. I do have AAA so it is an option for me if I get two flats at the same time.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Someone I know bought the 17 inch Roush take offs for his Performance Package with an automatic, Did not fit, the front rubbed. Went to fordparts.com and was checking out the front brakes and the automatic PP cars have GT brakes on the front.
I do believe your right on the GT's having the same spare, so I would think the spare would fit as long as you don't have Brembos on it.
Well I bought a spare wheel (for my V6 PP) that I saw on some forums and also in the trunk of a couple of Roush cars at shows.
I thought the cost was very reasonable for an 18" aluminum wheel and it fit perfectly. It also fits in the wheel well.
Details in attachment.

Name:	Spare for V6 PP.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	159462
Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Does the standard spare just not fit the front brakes? I believe none of the V6's came with staggered rims from the factory so why not just buy the standard spare and if you happen to get a flat on the front put the spare on the rear and then put the good rim on the front? In my 12 years of driving I've gotten maybe 2-3 flat tires, although I would always prefer to have a spare on hand just in case. And I would prefer to change out 2 rims (might take another 15 minutes) then potentially be stranded for 3-4 hours waiting for AAA.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires