TPMS Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
TPMS Question

I'm buying a set of 4 stock wheels from a 2011 GT. They have the stock TPMS sensors.

Will I still have to get that stupid $50 clicker from the dealer or will my car learn these sensors?
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I'm buying a set of 4 stock wheels from a 2011 GT. They have the stock TPMS sensors. Will I still have to get that stupid $50 clicker from the dealer or will my car learn these sensors?
Not on its own. Your local tire shop should be able to program it to your car though.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Not on its own. Your local tire shop should be able to program it to your car though.
Ah ok. Thanks.

I just stumbled upon this on a Focus forum. Has anyone tried??

Quote:
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My last car was a Focus ST - I bought a winter set and the stupid clicker but never needed it because the car auto-learned the new ones. Sad that a year newer Mustang can't do the same.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I don't know about that. Worth a try
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I put my winter wheels on last year and never got a warning light, that was with Ford OEM sensors.
With that said when I took it in for it's free oil change they rotated the tires and walked around with the reset tool, I rotate them at home and have never needed it here.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm ordering my winter tires soon - I will skip the tool and see what happens. Worst case, I can probably charm my way into getting one of the people at my dealership into doing it for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I'll try just putting them on and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
I'm ordering my winter tires soon - I will skip the tool and see what happens. Worst case, I can probably charm my way into getting one of the people at my dealership into doing it for me.
Going off of your fuelly name it seems as though I might not have the "charm" that you possess haha
Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

LOL
Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
If you have them put on at a tire store or the dealer they normally walk around with the reset tool.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm hoping to take mine in and see if they'll do it for free. Anyone know if the local ford dealership will do it for free?
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

OP did the car relearn it on it's own or did u have to program it?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

It wound up relearning itself. It was weird though, it took driving about 250 miles.

I tried the method I posted about before and that didn't work. I also took it to my buddy's shop and he used a "universal" tpms tool which also didn't work.

He mentioned that the tpms sensors have to "wake up" after they have been in storage because they shut off to preserve battery.

Since then I've had no warning lights or anything.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It wound up relearning itself. It was weird though, it took driving about 250 miles. I tried the method I posted about before and that didn't work. I also took it to my buddy's shop and he used a "universal" tpms tool which also didn't work. He mentioned that the tpms sensors have to "wake up" after they have been in storage because they shut off to preserve battery. Since then I've had no warning lights or anything.
Cool thanks for the info! Basically what I wanna do is switch wheels from one car to another that both have the oem tpms so since they've both been on for a whole hopefully I can just swap them & they'll relearn it!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Not to hijack the thread oranything. But if I plan on buying a set of wheels and drag radials do they HAVE to have tpms sensors? I'm only gonna run them to from and obviously at the track. Thanks.
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
Not to hijack the thread oranything. But if I plan on buying a set of wheels and drag radials do they HAVE to have tpms sensors? I'm only gonna run them to from and obviously at the track. Thanks.
I'm running without tpms right now. All that comes on is an annoying dash light.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #17
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Cool thanks for the info! Basically what I wanna do is switch wheels from one car to another that both have the oem tpms so since they've both been on for a whole hopefully I can just swap them & they'll relearn it!
Yeah, that's what happened with mine. Works for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I'm running without tpms right now. All that comes on is an annoying dash light.
And that's all you'll get is an annoying bong and light without the tpms. Some states will fail you on an inspection for that, but I don't think many of us have them coming up since we have newer cars.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that's what happened with mine. Works for me! And that's all you'll get is an annoying bong and light without the tpms. Some states will fail you on an inspection for that, but I don't think many of us have them coming up since we have newer cars.
Yea I swapped them out & they worked perfectly! No light came on or anything!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires