Snow Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Snow Tires

Does anyone slap snow tires on during the winter? If so, what kind and what size are you running? Are you running a more narrow tire?
My stang is stored for the winter but I thought this would be a good thread discussion.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
I have stock size snow tires on my car. I'm in Japan and the base requires them from Nov15 - Apr1 regardless of weather conditions.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have stock size snow tires on my car. I'm in Japan and the base requires them from Nov15 - Apr1 regardless of weather conditions.
Lucky dude in japan !

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post
Does anyone slap snow tires on during the winter? If so, what kind and what size are you running? Are you running a more narrow tire? My stang is stored for the winter but I thought this would be a good thread discussion.
You should buy some stockers and put snow tires on them
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Lucky dude in japan ! ---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ---------- You should buy some stockers and put snow tires on them
I don't need any for my stang. That stays in the garage during the winter. I have my WRX to play in the snow. However, I found out that the summer tires that they put on from the factory don't work well at all in the snow haha. Even with AWD, you will only do as well as the equipment you are using. So I bought a set of 4 Hankook Winter IPike 235/45/17. It was like night and day. The tires were amazing in the snow. Incredible traction in the snow and ice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2128084864.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	138651
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Blizzaks are good. I don't drive mine in the snow though. I did drive my Cobra in the snow a few times and the stock Michelins did ok.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I run a set of 245/45R17 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge or something like that on my Bullitts. They work great for me. I definitely noticed a change in traction
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Lucky dude in japan ! ---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ---------- You should buy some stockers and put snow tires on them
Why you feel I'm so lucky? A real pain in the rear to get any work down on my car and AM won't ship to military without charging a significant price.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Why you feel I'm so lucky? A real pain in the rear to get any work down on my car and AM won't ship to military without charging a significant price.
what do japs say about your car over there?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
All the hibachi chicken you want. Sounds good to me.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
what do japs say about your car over there?
They are amazed at the size of the engine. For us a stock 4.6 is normal but it's quite large over here.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I've swapped over to Michelin x-ice x3...255/45r18s...great traction on wet roads and very smooth ride...haven't tested them on snow yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-941615471.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	138766  
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Lol spend some of that COLA you're getting on parts or stash it away for when you come home. You could likely sell that car for a lot more than its worth there and buy another one here since you can't really get those over there, not like that.

Misawa or Yokota BTW? I'd mention Kadena but if you are talking about snow tires that rules that out. I'm guessing Misawa.

And WTF is wrong with AM where they charge you more to ship MilAir? Its the same damn rate going to one of the hubs via USPS and after that its not charged anymore. Only real risk is no tracking and they are kind of rough with the packages but I got a laptop and a bunch of other stuff while I was in the desert and no issues at all.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lol spend some of that COLA you're getting on parts or stash it away for when you come home. You could likely sell that car for a lot more than its worth there and buy another one here since you can't really get those over there, not like that. Misawa or Yokota BTW? I'd mention Kadena but if you are talking about snow tires that rules that out. I'm guessing Misawa. And WTF is wrong with AM where they charge you more to ship MilAir? Its the same damn rate going to one of the hubs via USPS and after that its not charged anymore. Only real risk is no tracking and they are kind of rough with the packages but I got a laptop and a bunch of other stuff while I was in the desert and no issues at all.
Agree it doesn't cost anymore to ship USPS to San Francisco as it does to am APO address. They can even UPS it to San Fran and it will follow through in snail mail but they won't. The COLA is all right bit I'm not active duty anymore. Retired a couple of years ago. Yes here in Misawa and snow started last week. The car (97 GT) was purchased over here and was 95% stock. Only upgrades were Eibach springs and Borla mufflers.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I am trying to sell my snow tires from my WRX since I will be moving to sunny Southern California. Know anyone who may be interested?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Agree it doesn't cost anymore to ship USPS to San Francisco as it does to am APO address. They can even UPS it to San Fran and it will follow through in snail mail but they won't. The COLA is all right bit I'm not active duty anymore. Retired a couple of years ago. Yes here in Misawa and snow started last week. The car (97 GT) was purchased over here and was 95% stock. Only upgrades were Eibach springs and Borla mufflers.
They probably won't because they know that MilAir isn't trackable or insurable. This could be fixed if you signed some sort of release form and were ok with trusting MilAir to not mess it all up. I never have had anything lost in the mail and that has been dealing with countries in the middle east where the derka derka inspectors are known to walk off with stuff because they can go through your mail arbitrarily. I took a BIG chance with the laptop but it worked out. I was not about to go another 3 months on the base computers...

Old 11-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Actually tracking numbers work now. Maybe a year or so. It's gotten better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires