Best Snow/Winter Tires for... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Best Snow/Winter Tires for...

2014 V6 19" Performance Package wheels. I don't want to spend a fortune (least amount possible), but something that will keep me safe on Wisconsin roads in the winter. A mix of winter tires and not completely rendering performance.. Best value tires for price, ware, and performing.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have the same car as yours. Best bet would be to downsize to 17' tires and wheels for winter. 215-60-17 for tires, 17x7.5 wheels.

As for brands, reviews say blizzak ws70 ($115 each) and michelin xice 3 ($135-145) are best. I have a set of formers and to be honest they aint too good on wet roads. They will skid if you slam your brakes a little bit hard. If you have the money, go with nokian hakka r3. They're the absolute god fathers.

Other economical option would be good year ultagrip ice wrt. Check tire rack for indepth reviews
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just put the Blizzaks on my stock GT/CS wheels and love them. Traction in snow, rain and freezing cold have been great. They might be more than you want to spend but they are cheaper than a trip to the hospital.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Firestone Winterforce's seem to do well
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

More suggestions? I'm looking for something to keep me on the road during winter, that isn't going to break the bank, and when deliver on performance (to a degree) when the roads are clear. Any more ideas? Remember for 19" Performance Package Wheels.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
More suggestions? I'm looking for something to keep me on the road during winter, that isn't going to break the bank, and when deliver on performance (to a degree) when the roads are clear. Any more ideas? Remember for 19" Performance Package Wheels.
Without spending an a lot your not gonna get a great snow tire.. That's all there is to that.. Especially on a 19" rim.. Like they said step down rim size or settle for a basic all wether tire..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

Without spending an a lot your not gonna get a great snow tire.. That's all there is to that.. Especially on a 19" rim.. Like they said step down rim size or settle for a basic all wether tire..
Any good all season tires that fit what I would like?

How much would I be able to sell the Pirelli performance package tires for? 17k on them.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Any good all season tires that fit what I would like? How much would I be able to sell the Pirelli performance package tires for? 17k on them.
I would just keep them and get a set for the winter.. And idk go speak with your tire expert I your home town or call tire rack..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I would also agree with the 17" setup, the tires will be cheaper you will just need new rims. All in all getting 17" winter tires will save you money within the first couple of years:

19" tires -Blizzak LM-60 - $856
Mounting/balancing - $10 per wheel? I'm not sure.
17" wheels - $103 each - $412 total
17" tires - Firestone Winterforce - $388 total
Tire swap - Free if you do it or about $2.50 per tire at your Ford dealership

I got all the prices from tirerack.com, choosing the lowest prices I could find.

As you can see, you will make your money back by the time the tread wears on your first set of winter tires.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You can't run 17's if you have the Performance Package, they won't clear your brakes. Trust me, I wish you could. I just purchased Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice's off of Tire Rack, they will actually be here tomorrow. I can let you know how they are once they are on.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wtpackage=true
WHT_PNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT_PNY View Post
You can't run 17's if you have the Performance Package, they won't clear your brakes. Trust me, I wish you could. I just purchased Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice's off of Tire Rack, they will actually be here tomorrow. I can let you know how they are once they are on.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wtpackage=true
Hey, 17' tires do fit and clear your brakes if you have performance package. That's what I have on me. Whoever told you so, doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Hey, 17' tires do fit and clear your brakes if you have performance package. That's what I have on me. Whoever told you so, doesn't know what he's talking about.
Darn, thanks for the info. I already received my wheel and tire package so it's too late now. I can't complain though. I'm just happy to have tires that actually grip in the snow vs the summer only tires.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHT_PNY View Post

Darn, thanks for the info. I already received my wheel and tire package so it's too late now. I can't complain though. I'm just happy to have tires that actually grip in the snow vs the summer only tires.
How are your Goodyear's playing out? I wanted them too but they don't come in the size I was looking for. The blizzacks suck big time.. Both on snow/icy roads and wet conditions. Returning em back for Michelin's Xice 3
Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
How are your Goodyear's playing out? I wanted them too but they don't come in the size I was looking for. The blizzacks suck big time.. Both on snow/icy roads and wet conditions. Returning em back for Michelin's Xice 3
We've not had ice yet since I put them on this week, but as for snow they preform great. I read the survey and reviews on tire racks website & they scored high. I imagine they will do just fine on ice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires