Bad days and race tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Bad days and race tires

On Thursday, I misjudged a cutaway slightly going into a darkened garage, just enough to blow the right rear Brembo PZero.

Tire snot won't work, as its sidewall so, I slowly drive home nearby on zero pressure.

Looking around for solutions I find the only things that'll hold air are...my Hoosier bias drag slicks.

So, on they go and, it starts to snow the following day.

So, I've been making my way around town for the last several days, awaiting the delivery of my Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s, with drag slicks in the snow and slush. This has put every **** weather driving challenge in the past to shame, I assure you. 100 pounds of Brembo wheels and tires in the trunk helped a bit but, still pretty much a worst case scenario for traction. It can be done though, amazingly enough.

The tires are getting changed out tomorrow...I expect the Michelins are going to feel like they have suction cups for treads after this.

BTW, the Pirelli cheater tire the Brembo/TP gets lasted about 20,000 kilometers and were 90+% to the wear bars.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Braver then I am ha. I hate driving my track pack tires in just cold weather without the snow because they love to slip. I can be in 3rd gear and punch it and they will still spin. Makes me feel like I put a lot more power down then I really do, but then I realize it's just the tires haha
Pypes catback, Bama Tunes, tinted windows, blacked out hood vents, custom painted engine covers, Barton 2 post shifter bracket, black billet grill with tinted fog light covers, CoolTech sound tube delete, front mud flaps, SR springs, many more coming. Less then 1K miles.
Merican5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Braver than me as well. I get nervous in rain on my drag radials.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
PZero in the cold is bad enough let alone on snow or rain.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well, first impressions of the Michelin AS3s that are on there now (finally) are....

Way better wet grip than the Pirelli PZero summers ever had and they were pretty good in the wet.

Also less tramlining and bump steer.

A very expensive tire but, seems to be worth it. We'll see how they fare with a few thousand miles on them.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 12-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Well, first impressions of the Michelin AS3s that are on there now (finally) are.... Way better wet grip than the Pirelli PZero summers ever had and they were pretty good in the wet. Also less tramlining and bump steer. A very expensive tire but, seems to be worth it. We'll see how they fare with a few thousand miles on them.
I just got the pilot super sports.. They are awesome
Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Well, first impressions of the Michelin AS3s that are on there now (finally) are....

Way better wet grip than the Pirelli PZero summers ever had and they were pretty good in the wet.

Also less tramlining and bump steer.

A very expensive tire but, seems to be worth it. We'll see how they fare with a few thousand miles on them.

Good to hear. I just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s for my stang. I have new wheels on order, gonna be running 19x9.5s at all for corners with 275s. I've read a lot of good written and watched a lot of great video reviews before I pulled the trigger on new tires. I seen some tests were these tires out performed competitors summer tires. That says a lot for a AS Tire.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The extra width you intend to run may affect your driving feel a bit differently than my standard width 255.

So far, the thing is better on every front than the PZero summer. It feels like there is a tiny bit more sidewall mobility than the Pzero but, nothing at all a problem and the other massive improvements partly stemming from that (better ride, less tramlining, less noise, far less cold-weather traction dropoff) make it a worthwhile trade.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I'm actually about to pull the trigger on two 255/40/18 and two 285/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's myself. The wife got me new rims for Christmas. I'm excited to see them in action.
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tested the AS3s in a pure snow dump yesterday. They are no ice radial, that's for sure and they tend to pack up a bit. However, they will get the car moving, turning and stopping, which is more than the Pirellis ever could in those conditions. So, it's take it slow on the few days it snows in my town, not really bad advice anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires