Need opinions on Nitto 555 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Need opinions on Nitto 555

I just bought some 20x8.5 black AMR wheels from american muscle when they had them 15% off, couldn't pass up that steal. Anyways i will be needing some new rubber, I'm thinking about getting the Nitto 555 from Discount Tire..seems like a good tire for the price. Has anyone had experience with these? Pros/cons? any other recommendations? I need something that has pretty good tire life and that wont be sliding around when it's raining. I also heard that Nittos run narrow, so instead of getting 255's all around what size should i get? I'm trying to keep it around $700 out the door. Thanks!
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have Nitto NT555's on my 20x8.5's (255-35-20), larger on the rear, I have staggered wheels. The tires overall are good and inexpensive (around $150. ea). I've never taken my garage queen out in the rain so I can't comment on wet handling, I suspect however that it would be okay with a light foot and TC on. Overall I'm very happy with the Nitto's and would certainly buy them again. Best of luck.
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
555s are ok in the rain and 255s should be fine on a 8.5" rim. I've got 265s on my 9" front rim and then are not completely flush. I have 555Rs out back and THOSE I would not recommend for bad weather driving but the regular 555s are fine.

I've also heard GREAT things about Continentals lately. Extreme Contacts IIRC.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I love my 555R's. However, it's the only DRs I've ever owned. So I can't say if others are better or not. I definitely would recommend though. As far as rain... So so, as I have 315's and no TC. I keep her in the garage if it's raining. Lol.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I run 555R on the lightning in 315s and they are awesome on pavement. Never seen any kind of wet weather or even a puddle since I had the frame powder-coated so I couldn't tell you about wet. I've never even used them at the track. I do have to say that they wear out quick when you are doing rolling burnouts for fun. I had one set last me about 8 months and probably 4,000 miles but that was with pretty major abuse.

I also have sumitomo HTR Z III on my 5.0 and I really like them so far. Albeit, I only have about 300 miles on them in the past couple months I have owned them. Haven't used them in water either with the exception of the water box at the track. Couldn't 60ft to save my life, so if you drag race I would probably buy a better tire. They do grip awesome in the turns down the back country roads though.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
+1 for the Nittos being great to hookup on although if its not summer and hot you need to heat them up yourself. In the cold its like someone greased them up lol, at least the 555Rs. Sumis are the omfg budget tire if you need rubber and you don't have a lot of money or don't need them to be nuts or whatever. Agreed you can't hook up to save your life on the Sumis.

IMHO if you are going to be doing a lot of driving in the weather I'd probably look at an all season like the Continental Extreme Contact or a Michelin or General etc...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Impact View Post
I just bought some 20x8.5 black AMR wheels from american muscle when they had them 15% off, couldn't pass up that steal. Anyways i will be needing some new rubber, I'm thinking about getting the Nitto 555 from Discount Tire..seems like a good tire for the price. Has anyone had experience with these? Pros/cons? any other recommendations? I need something that has pretty good tire life and that wont be sliding around when it's raining. I also heard that Nittos run narrow, so instead of getting 255's all around what size should i get? I'm trying to keep it around $700 out the door. Thanks!
These guys have all pointed you in the right direction. The NT555's are a great tire! For the price, you really can't beat it. I run them on my 2011 GT and they hook up great in the summer and aren't terrible in the rain. These cars in general aren't that impressive in any type of bad weather, but the NT555 is definitely better than my stock tires. I don't have any problems getting form A to B in the rain, as long as you take it easy (Light Foot and keep TC on)!

We also carry the Nitto NT555's and would love to keep your business! Remember we do offer a 6% forums discount and Free standard shipping. If our competitors are still lower, we will price match. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I had triple nickels on mine for street nights, and they dead hooked, I loved them!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the input guys! I went to discount tire today and they gave me a good deal on a set of Nitto Motivos, and from what i've read i think i made a good choice. I was a bit concerned about the life of the 555's..I would hate to need another set in 20,000 or so miles, plus i drive alot. The Motivos had a 60,000 mile warranty which is kinda hard to find for a high performance tire. They gave me an out the door price of $820, road hazard included. I just got some Christmas money to my options widened up a bit and i decided on these. Thanks for the help guys!
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires