Air Leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Air Leak

Anyone else have problems with rim leaks? I have after market rims on one of my mustangs now and the problem is fixed. When I had the stock rims on both of my mustangs though I have had nothing but problems with them. usually have to go to the gas station at least once a month to fill them up. These are the rims.
Attached Images

Unrivaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hmmm. Interesting.
Do you know EXACTLY where the rims were leaking from?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It has always been on the face of the tire. Just a really slow leak. Where the red is....
Attached Images

Unrivaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Its a bad bead seal. A tire shop can clean the bead with a wire brush then add a sealant before installing the tires. That fixes 99.9% of bead leaks.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I agree with paintmann. If the wheels were older, corrosion can be another possibility. If you use the same wheels and tires year round, I suggest having a tire shop dismount the tires and cleaning the tire beads and area of the wheels where the tire beads seat to get all of the salt and other corrosive contaminants out of there after every winter season if you don't do this already. Same thing if you have a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter, but use the same wheels. Other than that, I have also seen cracked wheels from hitting bad potholes and bent wheels where just the rim of the wheel was slightly bent, just enough, causing the bead area of the tire to not sit flush with the wheel.
Eibach Pro Kit, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Axle Backs, 18" Milanni ZS-1s, 245/45R18 Falken ZE-950 Tires, Smoked Front Marker Lenses, Limo Tint, Pioneer Double Din, Alpine & Kenwood Speakers, 12" Kicker CVRs, Alpine Amps, AM Paint Matched Side View Mirror Caps, LED bulb conversions everywhere , more to come... need to sell OE wheels/tires and suspension first.
SLCKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCKV6 View Post
I agree with paintmann. If the wheels were older, corrosion can be another possibility. If you use the same wheels and tires year round, I suggest having a tire shop dismount the tires and cleaning the tire beads and area of the wheels where the tire beads seat to get all of the salt and other corrosive contaminants out of there after every winter season if you don't do this already. Same thing if you have a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter, but use the same wheels. Other than that, I have also seen cracked wheels from hitting bad potholes and bent wheels where just the rim of the wheel was slightly bent, just enough, causing the bead area of the tire to not sit flush with the wheel.
This
Arustik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires