Tires for winter and summer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

Tires for winter and summer

Anyone have a tire recommendation that will make my mustang usable in winter but still provide some performance level in good weather? Right now my car is useless in the snow. Thanks.
2013gt5.0auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I got Michelin xice3, only snow I found with a 40,000mi tread wear warranty. Almost as good as my UHP AS handling wise. Could also look at contis snow tire.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I've been pretty happy with my Continental ExtremeContact DWS (as in Dry/West/Snow). Unlike any of the performance tires I've had previously from Goodyear, Sumitomo and the like; they are 50,000 mile tires - which makes my better half happy as I won't be buying new tires every year. I will admit, though, that I'm now more hesitant to take the curvy mountain roads around here as fast as I used to.

2003 Sonic Blue GT Vert
SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
i have been using blizzak lm-60 for the snow and continental dw for the summer and am more then happy with this setup. I also throw a few sand bags over the rear tires in the snow.
Instafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
+1 on the sandbags.

2003 Sonic Blue GT Vert
SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue View Post
I've been pretty happy with my Continental ExtremeContact DWS (as in Dry/West/Snow). Unlike any of the performance tires I've had previously from Goodyear, Sumitomo and the like; they are 50,000 mile tires - which makes my better half happy as I won't be buying new tires every year. I will admit, though, that I'm now more hesitant to take the curvy mountain roads around here as fast as I used to.
Hear lots of great things about those Contis. Have not tried them myself yet.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Falken has just come out with their new ZE-950 tire that does very well all year round. I have them on 2014 V6 and love the performance and traction that I get with them in dry and wet weather. I live in Southern California, so I can' t really give a fair evaluation for snow and ice performance compared to the type of weather the rest of the country has been getting hit with this winter season, but the ZE-950 is supposed to outperform a standard all-season high performance tire in winter weather with its new Dynamic Range Technology. Here's a link: ZIEX ZE950 A/S TIRE | Falken Tire. Depending on the Speed Symbol on the tire, you get either a 45k or 65k mileage warranty with the ZE-950.
Eibach Pro Kit, Dual Flowmaster 40 Series Axle Backs, 18" Milanni ZS-1s, 245/45R18 Falken ZE-950 Tires, Smoked Front Marker Lenses, Limo Tint, Pioneer Double Din, Alpine & Kenwood Speakers, 12" Kicker CVRs, Alpine Amps, AM Paint Matched Side View Mirror Caps, LED bulb conversions everywhere , more to come... need to sell OE wheels/tires and suspension first.
SLCKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
The dws are one of the best all seasons for snow and wear but nothing beats dedicated winter tires if you can afford a second set
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
The dws are one of the best all seasons for snow and wear but nothing beats dedicated winter tires if you can afford a second set
I have the Conti DWS and they are great but a true winter tire is better for winter.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Honestly any winter tire. The thing people forget is that a winter tire is a soft compound, so it grips well in the dry too. That said, they're going to disintegrate badly in hot temps! Just get a set of each and do it properly. That way you get the best traction for the weather and after the initial cost of having 2 sets of tires, it's no more expensive.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I just don't drive mine in the snow. Have a 4x4 Expy for that. Problem solved.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Conti has a new eco tire that out classes the competition. I had plan on getting the Conti Extreme Contact DWS, but have gone to the new model on my list to replace my PZeros.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
All depends on where you live. I have a dedicated winter wheel and tire setup and a dedicated summer wheel and tire setup.
Arustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arustik View Post
All depends on where you live. I have a dedicated winter wheel and tire setup and a dedicated summer wheel and tire setup.
This is the best practice. Ppl don't realize that with some good winter tires and traction control and a driver who doesn't have his/her head up his/her *** a Mustang is fine in the snow. Even without traction control you just need to know wtf you are doing. Unlike ppl in NJ who lose their minds when they get an inch of snow... We got 2-3 inches from 4AM-8AM today and ppl on my work's facebook page are all up in arms about not having a late report. Idiots...

Although actually the BEST practice is to leave the stang in the garage in bad weather and drive a AWD or 4x4. Wife's CR-V is realtime AWD and my Expy is 4x4 so G2G.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires