Staggered Wheel sizes and ABS/AdvanceTrac? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Staggered Wheel sizes and ABS/AdvanceTrac?

Hi folks, I have been wondering if anyone has had AdvanceTrak and or ABS issues with a .5"- 1" difference in Wheel/Tire height between front and back from a Staggered setup?

The computer would be seeing the front wheels at a higher RPM then the rears for a given length of movement. [I did do a search and didn't find any Advance Trac threads about wheels/tires]

I was considering this range here 19x10 (275-285) GT500 in the rear with 18x9 (245-255) in the front.

These are the only quotes I found in the Tires section of M.E and I wonder if anyone has seen or know of any real Mustang specific issues?

Quote:
If you go staggered. Check the revolutions per mile. If they differ too much, I've read it messes up the ABS / traction / stability control. If you go 255/35 r20, you'll probably need something more like 285/30 r 20 to keep them close. The revs per mile vary slight by manufacturer even in the same tire size.
Quote:
Now regarding the post above, I cannot comment on the Mustang computer but when I was changing the wheel rim combinations on my GT3 for track purposes you had to keep the front and rear wheel diameter within a certain percentage of the stock specs otherwise it would cause the computer to think that there is a problem with the ABS. the computer monitors the difference in speed of the front and rear wheels and changing that ratio could cause the computer to trip a code or react to it.

If you stay with the same diameters front and rear you will be fine.

As far as stagger is concerned. if you do it for looks then go at it. if your doing it for road handling then you may have to do some research with someone who has done it with the combination that your looking at for the best feedback.
Thanks, Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bueller anyone?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Generally if you stay under a 1" difference you'll be fine. My current setup is about 1/2" smaller up front than the rear and I have no issues with ABS. Not sure about the newer traction control stuff but rule of thumb is to keep them within an inch of each other or delete ABS.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
No problems with mine I have about a
One inch diff between front and rear
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
STAGGERED

No problem with mine at all.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Generally if you stay under a 1" difference you'll be fine. My current setup is about 1/2" smaller up front than the rear and I have no issues with ABS. Not sure about the newer traction control stuff but rule of thumb is to keep them within an inch of each other or delete ABS.

I have slightly different overall diameters due to the staggered setup. Advanctrac / abs freaks out ("service advantrac") on wheel lock continuous turning (usually pulling in or out of parking spots).

255/35r20 (770 revs per mile)
285/30r20 (777 revs per mile)

The only other issue I think is dirty sensor or short related. During extreme cold rain (near freezing), I get the same "service advantrac" message just driving straight.

Outside of those conditions, no issues...

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires