Worn Pirelli Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Worn Pirelli Tires

I've had a set of Pirelli tires for the past year and they are completely worn out in the middle. There's no vibration when I drive and I just noticed it after having my tire repaired.

Any ideas ?!?
MrCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a 2011, replaced tires once and now a 2013. All three sets were Pirelli P-Zero (one set summer two were all season). I HATE them. wear funny, wear easy. As soon as my tax check gets in it is my intent to buy new 20"'s and i am going to try Sumitomo as i have heard allot of good things about them
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

To much air pressure

Run to much pressure and the middle tread wears out.
Not enough pressure and the middle stays good and the outside tread wears out.

Run the proper pressure and get even wear. Proper pressure is located on the driver side door panel.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Run the proper pressure and get even wear. Proper pressure is located on the driver side door panel.
Ronnie
True statement!
Troy
Old 02-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Ronnie knows his stuff!

OP, sounds like you have a bit too much tire pressure. If you're ever not sure how much to fill the tires up, you can always check the inside of the door jam. Somewhere on the body or physical door there will be a manufacturer recommendation PSI for Front & Rear tires. This goes for every car you own or may own in the future.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
A rule of thumb: most tires like 35ish psi.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Best to invest in a nitrogen fill too. Pressure fluctuations are minimal at most. Plus that means no waking up to flat tires in the winter.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Best to invest in a nitrogen fill too. Pressure fluctuations are minimal at most. Plus that means no waking up to flat tires in the winter.
Not trying to bust anyone's bubble...but they(can't remember who it was) thoroughly compared air and nitrogen and the difference was there...but minuscule...if you keep your car well maintained air will do just fine...lemme try to find the link...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
andrewheath09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/shou...-nitrogen.html

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

Wow...didn't realize this was from February...

andrewheath09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewheath09 View Post
Not trying to bust anyone's bubble...but they(can't remember who it was) thoroughly compared air and nitrogen and the difference was there...but minuscule...if you keep your car well maintained air will do just fine...lemme try to find the link...

Tiff Needell on Fifth Gear, previously from Top Gear, and previously a race car driver, did a comparative test of atmospheric compressed air vs Nitrogen filled tires on the track and against a heat source, and concluded the Nitrogen fill as unnecessary.

kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

When I had the stock Pirelli's PZero's on my Brembo wheels, I found that running the rear around 34.0 psi and the front around 36.0 psi, allowed for pretty even wear.

Based on load alone, the weight distribution of the S197 Mustang GT is 52.5/47.5%. Split the 5% weight difference front/rear with the stock 35 psi pressure (Brembo/TrackPack), add 2.5% to the front for approx 36 psi, and remove 2.5% pressure from the rear for approx 34 psi.

Two things are critical for somewhat even tire wear, especially on summer tires:
- tire rotation every 3000 miles (summer tires) or 5000 miles (all-season tires)
- tire pressure maintenance, check at least every 1-2 weeks, and correct if off
- staggered tire pressures front/rear, alter and maintain during rotation
Old 07-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Wouldn't following the information on the car about the proper psi only be accurate for the stock set up?
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
Wouldn't following the information on the car about the proper psi only be accurate for the stock set up?
For the most part, yes, but the sticker is least a good starting point. Lots of people just bolt the wheels/tires without checking pressures more than a few times a year, if that, or even monitor the tire wear and adjust accordingly.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #14

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
When I had the stock Pirelli's PZero's on my Brembo wheels, I found that running the rear around 34.0 psi and the front around 36.0 psi, allowed for pretty even wear.

Based on load alone, the weight distribution of the S197 Mustang GT is 52.5/47.5%. Split the 5% weight difference front/rear with the stock 35 psi pressure (Brembo/TrackPack), add 2.5% to the front for approx 36 psi, and remove 2.5% pressure from the rear for approx 34 psi.

Two things are critical for somewhat even tire wear, especially on summer tires:
- tire rotation every 3000 miles (summer tires) or 5000 miles (all-season tires)
- tire pressure maintenance, check at least every 1-2 weeks, and correct if off
- staggered tire pressures front/rear, alter and maintain during rotation

Taking mine to the dealer next week to rotate my P-Zeros at just shy of 5,000. Thanks for the pressure tip!
RoadBoss2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
Very true, when I went from OEM 215/65/ 17s to oem 235/50/18s the 18s were worse until I lowered the pressure to the rating from the car they were removed from. V-6 17s run 35 psi and V8 GT 18s run only 32 PSI. Overinflation not only creates uneven wear it actually makes your tires contact patch smaller which is the same effect as running smaller tires. You'd be shocked how much performance is left on the table by people who don't pay attention to psi.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my used GT about 3 weeks ago and checked the tire pressure the next morning. Front right was like 46 psi !!! The rest were waay over filled as well, but in the high 30's. I got them all down to 32 psi.

Problem now is tire noise. Granted, this car has 38, xxx miles, and I'm pretty sure these Pirelli tires are OEM, but the the tires are noisy as hell. Maybe the excessive tire pressure from the previous owner messed up the tread pattern or something to cause this.

Are new Pirelli tires like this? If so, I don't want them!
hctr154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:13 AM   #17

Noisy *** Rubber!

Hey, I'm a noob (thanks everyone for helping me grow up here). So I had the noob expectation that OEM is "the best." Then I read real life on here and I heard Perellis are noisy. Then I stuck my head out of the window and went, "Damn Bro, these Perellis ARE noisy!"

The whole "sticky" summer tire thing is new to me, but I'm realizing it's like, "Don't use your #2 pencil eraser much because it'll wear down to a nub in a week." I've curbed my enthusiasm for taking high speed turns.

I'm getting mine rotated at 5,000 (in a week), but probably keeping stock inflation because I'm wary of eff-ing with tiered pressures.

What are people buying after Perellis? Or does that open a can o' worms just asking? haha
Old 08-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No more Pirelli's for my Mustang.

Mt personal opinion is " MICHELIN'S
I know they cost more but I always found it was worth spending the extra $$$$ for what seems to me to be a better all around tire.
Not noisy
Good stopping
Good in the rain
excellent dry grip
Michelin Pilot Sports seem to do everything you need a tire to do.
Ronnie

PS: Yes, Me Pirelli's are also very noisy and like to hydroplane. They do stick good on a dry pavement though.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'd say Michelin AS3 for an all season tire. Mickey Thompson Street Comps for a high performance tire
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've always had great experiences with BF Goodrich tires and its what I currently run. They're inexpensive, they run a little big so you can save more running a "narrower" tire than normal (like my 275s on 18x10s), they are quiet and they grip great.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
What are people buying after Perellis? Or does that open a can o' worms just asking? haha
All depends on the application, at least I hope it does

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I had Pirelli P-Zeros from the factory and they were awful! I bought Mickey Thompson Street Comps from AM when I bought my new set of wheels and I couldn't be happier. One word of wisdom, "Performance" or "Summer Only" tires really do mean Summer only. If you live in cold weather, do not try driving when it's below 30 degrees or so, the tires get hard as a rock and won't grip.
2006 GT - JLT CAI, BBK Throttle Body, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, FRPP Intake Manifold, American Racing LT Headers with High Flow Cats, Borla Stinger Cat-Back, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Hurst Short Throw, Steeda Lowering Springs, Tokico D-Spec Shocks and Struts, Steeda Upper and Lower Control Arms, Steeda Front and Rear Sway Bars, Steeda End Links, Torque Box Brace, Steeda adjustable Bumpsteer, Boss Comp Front Control Arms, Steeda Shock Tower Brace, Raxiom Gen5 Style Tail Lights, Custom Tune from Realspeed - More to Come!
jhealy608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yep, summers have compounds that get hard as a rock in sub freezing temps. If you need all seasons, one of the best out there are the Continental Extreme Contact all seasons. Tons of ppl running them with great results.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post

You're joking right? Perhaps I'm
Being harsh but in what chemistry lesson has anyone ever said air isn't mostly nitrogen ? Lol and Nitrogen if you recall was a selling feature in VPower premium gasoline to help burn better haha. Sooo forgive me if I'm off by some

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Pirate Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Bman View Post
You're joking right? Perhaps I'm
Being harsh but in what chemistry lesson has anyone ever said air isn't mostly nitrogen ? Lol and Nitrogen if you recall was a selling feature in VPower premium gasoline to help burn better haha. Sooo forgive me if I'm off by some

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Air is appx 70% nitrogen, the other 30% is oxygen and misc gasses.

Nitrogen is inert, therefore it will help nothing burn better

Pure Nitrogen does fluctuate less with temperature changes

All this said, its not worth it to do a Nitrogen fill unless you can get it for free.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #26

The argument for Nitrogen in tires

The main concern of compressed air over Nitrogen is that under unusual conditions of very high temperature resulting from severe braking or malfunction, enough flammable vapors can be produced inside a tire to catch fire in an air atmosphere. Fire inside a tire will cause a rapid pressure rise and probably an explosion of the tire. Nitrogen also fluctuates less in pressure at extreme temperatures found at take-offs, cruising and landings.

All very understandable and desired, IF we are talking about commercial and military aircraft tires, which all contain Nitrogen, inflated to 225+ psi. There is also a potential for corrosion with compressed air over Nitrogen.

I don't see any real payoff in my putting Nitrogen in my 'Stang tires.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No need to argue about this

If you like "AIR" and check your tires at least once a month it is fine.

If you like Nitrogen and check your tire at least once a month it is still fine.

I use Nitrogen in my tires because the dealer I use has it for "NO CHARGE"

If I had to pay I would probably just use Air.

Ronnie
Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I found that the factory P Zero wore too quickly on the outside edge of my fronts. Switched to the Potenza RE-11, and I am not having that issue. 20 autocrosses, 18000 miles, the worst winter in recent history in Virginia (feet of snow in Norfolk, the only thing that these absolutely said NO to) all on the Bridgestones. I killed about 1/8 of the outside edge of those overpriced Pirellis per autocross, and they were not very grippy.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires