Tread life on uhp summer tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Tread life on uhp summer tires?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on new wheels and tires, namely the new MMD staggered 20", and using them as a summer set while keeping the stockers for winter (tires for life through the dealer). How many miles are you guys getting out of your ultra high performance summer tires? The tread-wear ratings are always a crapshoot and I've never fully understood them.

If it helps, I'm trying to decide between Mickey Thompson Street Comps, Nitto NT555 or the INVO. And the car would see occasional strip time, maybe once a month during the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on new wheels and tires, namely the new MMD staggered 20", and using them as a summer set while keeping the stockers for winter (tires for life through the dealer). How many miles are you guys getting out of your ultra high performance summer tires? The tread-wear ratings are always a crapshoot and I've never fully understood them.

If it helps, I'm trying to decide between Mickey Thompson Street Comps, Nitto NT555 or the INVO. And the car would see occasional strip time, maybe once a month during the summer.
Hey,

Those are going to be some awesome wheels, we cannot wait to get our hands on them!

As far as tires go, no company actual gives a rating or tread life on performance tires, because a lot depends on how the car is used and application they are going on.

However, I would say it would not be uncommon to get about 30k miles out of either of those options. I had the NT555s on my 06 and put 20k miles on them before trading it in, and they still had plenty of tread to go. Essentially if you are driving normally and don't beat on the car, you can expect to see 30k miles easily.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to get back in touch. Good luck!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I'd go summitomo. I've had for over a yer and I drive long distance everyday and i still have tread. And they are cheap
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have the Pirelli Summers that came on the perf pack/track pack. I figure I'll get 16-18K out of them. I don't abuse them but do have fun. That will be bringing them rather far down into the wear bars.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was aware of the tread rating being relative, which is why it's so confusing with no solid answers or even ranges of use available. I don't want to get stuck on 20" rims and summer tires in the winter lol, so they will definitely get switched out as soon as the temperature drops under 50 for good. As long as I can get a few summers out of them, I'll be happy.

Sumitomo, to me, is synonymous with "cheap". I'm all for saving money, but when we're talking 400rwhp in traction-compromising conditions, I'll spend a little more.

I'm leaning towards the Mickey Thompsons, but a 275 tread width on a 10" wheel seems a little small.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
555- no good. Invo- no good. Street comps. Best street tire hands down.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I'm running Ha kook Venus RS3s that are going on 1.5 (3rd season) years of summer use. They're a 200 tread wear rating if I remember correctly. They've seen about 4 track days at the road course and plenty of passes at the drag strip and have probably 1/3-1/2 life left.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
I'd go summitomo. I've had for over a yer and I drive long distance everyday and i still have tread. And they are cheap
If you think sumitumos are a good tire, you haven't ever had a good tire. Sumis are serviceable and can't hook up worth a damn.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I was aware of the tread rating being relative, which is why it's so confusing with no solid answers or even ranges of use available. I don't want to get stuck on 20" rims and summer tires in the winter lol, so they will definitely get switched out as soon as the temperature drops under 50 for good. As long as I can get a few summers out of them, I'll be happy.

Sumitomo, to me, is synonymous with "cheap". I'm all for saving money, but when we're talking 400rwhp in traction-compromising conditions, I'll spend a little more.

I'm leaning towards the Mickey Thompsons, but a 275 tread width on a 10" wheel seems a little small.
275 wide on a 10" tire is fine. Also consider these. I just picked up a set for my 98 in 18" diameter. They are inexpensive, a GREAT tire and they run wide. 275 in these tires is 11" wide and I've checked that by hand on mine because they are going on 10.5" wide rears. Figure a BFG runs at least 2 sizes smaller than the average tire. These 275s are actually wider than the Nitto 555R 315s I currently have on the car.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's still cheaper for me to go with the MT package from AM even without considering mounting and balancing.

Sent from church, because I'm out of cheerios.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Then get the mt. I'm saving $ especially on the fronts going with the bfgs and AM has ridiculous tire sizes in some of their combos fyi. Like a 275/35/18 up front and a 285/35/18 out back. Or for their 18" s197 combos the packages all have a front tire almost half an inch bigger than the rear. 245/45/18 is the correct front for a 275/40/18 rear not 255... too many ppl just buy their wheel/tire packages and don't even do any research and it looks stupid half the time. Luckily they will mount and balance a mix/match you build on their site. Problem is their tire selection is meh but that is to be expected.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 03-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Are the bfgs asymmetrical? Running a staggered setup, I'd like to at least be able to rotate side to side.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Edited for not paying attn.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

According to AM, the street comps are non-directional.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They are directional. They Mickeys are too.

MT street comps are non-directional, I know several people that use them. No problems rotating, even if it is only side to side, not around. They all have staggered set ups.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I could have swore they were, bad info on my part. Get the Mickeys then if you are worried about rotating them.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Mickeys are on the way. Went with 255/40/19 and 275/35/20

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires