Don't use no scrub wheel cleaner on replica rims - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Don't use no scrub wheel cleaner on replica rims

When I was getting my new rims put on last Friday I was bull****ting with the installer who is also a Mustang fanatic and he said straight up "make sure you NEVER use no-scrub wheel cleaner on these (AM) rims, ONLY soap and water". He stressed this like 10 times because he said he has had AM rims along with some other replicas pit/corrode/have the clear flake off because of wheel cleaner. I asked him would this void the 1 year finish warranty and he replied yes, it will, its happened before to him and a few other customers and AM/others will not replace a wheel that has finish issues due to a no-scrub cleaner. He also told me "yes they/we can tell if its because of a cleaner because we have to go through this with the wheels we sell too".

Just thought I would pass this along. I have always used the no-scrub stuff with no problems and this was the first I'd heard of it. I did some research and it turns out that, yes, the no-scrub cleaner can eat your finish and is a prime reason that many ppl with replica wheels have issues like this.

I used soapy water on my new Bullitts this weekend and they cleaned right up with minimal effort but they are new so YMMV. I'd suggest using ceramic brake pads if you don't already (no dust) to keep your wheels clean and stay the hell away from the no-scrub stuff. I'll still use it to clean my wife's steel Honda rims but its not going near any of my nice wheels ever again.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I suggest putting a few coats of wax (I like Turtle Ice) on inside and outside of your rims to aid in cleaning. I wax mine when I rotate them.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

I always waxed my polished rims on my old car. Learned the hard way what happens if you don't keep up the maintenance on polished rims...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
good advice I always use liquid cleaners opps
anoa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Thanks for the info.

+1 for waxing. Just had mine permanently coated with Opti Coat and they stay clean for weeks and washing/drying them is a breeze. It's weird seeing wheels bead water.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I suggest putting a few coats of wax (I like Turtle Ice) on inside and outside of your rims to aid in cleaning. I wax mine when I rotate them.
And here I thought I was the only one that did this!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
And here I thought I was the only one that did this!
I do it to mine to!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Don't forget ab windows, windshields, lenses, and plastics. They can all be waxed/coated. Although I like to keep it old school with my plastics and use dressing after every other wash. Hell, even Chemical Guys VRP dressing beads a little bit on the tires.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Yes sir most of the wheel cleaners sold at Walmart, etc..are garbage. I only use professional grade products diluted with water. I'd rather wash them twice, than replace them.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

To add onto this, he also said to never use the "tire shine" or "wet black" stuff because it will run down onto the rim and dry there. Honestly I don't like that stuff anyway but a ton of ppl use it. I just use some of the same Meguiar's interior cleaner I have and spray it on a paper towel and wipe around the sidewall. Dunzo.

Also staying the hell off the road with nicer wheels in the wintertime is something that'll keep your rims lasting awhile. Even if there is no snow on the ground, you're going to have that white chalky residue from the salt/calcium everywhere. I don't drive my stang in the winter but if you must I HIGHLY suggest a set of cheap OEM steel wheels and some all seasons or winter tires for those months.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
To add onto this, he also said to never use the "tire shine" or "wet black" stuff because it will run down onto the rim and dry there.
Was he talking about oil-based or water-based dressings? I can see an oil-based dressing causing damage but not a water based (what I use).
Old 05-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I always just use the car wash that I use on the rest of the car. Of course, my wheels are painted gloss black, so I guess they can be treated just like the rest of the car.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I guess they can be treated just like the rest of the car.
Gonna somewhat disagree here, just because break dust can be very corrosive and is obviously only found on the rims. I'm not saying what you're doing is bad, I personally would just take a little more precaution/use a lot more soap in the wheels than the paint.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
When I was getting my new rims put on last Friday I was bull****ting with the installer who is also a Mustang fanatic and he said straight up "make sure you NEVER use no-scrub wheel cleaner on these (AM) rims, ONLY soap and water". He stressed this like 10 times because he said he has had AM rims along with some other replicas pit/corrode/have the clear flake off because of wheel cleaner. I asked him would this void the 1 year finish warranty and he replied yes, it will, its happened before to him and a few other customers and AM/others will not replace a wheel that has finish issues due to a no-scrub cleaner. He also told me "yes they/we can tell if its because of a cleaner because we have to go through this with the wheels we sell too".

Just thought I would pass this along. I have always used the no-scrub stuff with no problems and this was the first I'd heard of it. I did some research and it turns out that, yes, the no-scrub cleaner can eat your finish and is a prime reason that many ppl with replica wheels have issues like this.

I used soapy water on my new Bullitts this weekend and they cleaned right up with minimal effort but they are new so YMMV. I'd suggest using ceramic brake pads if you don't already (no dust) to keep your wheels clean and stay the hell away from the no-scrub stuff. I'll still use it to clean my wife's steel Honda rims but its not going near any of my nice wheels ever again.
Great info man, I'm really glad you posted this, I just got the same wheels mounted and balanced on the rim on Saturday. I have washed them twice with hose water, and turtle car Soap. Is it ok to use car soap on them. Also my brake pads a make a tremendous amount of brake dust, they are stupid posi quiet semi metallic pads.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

I use the same car wash I use on the rest of the car to clean the rims. I would change out the pads asap to ceramics if I were you. The brake dust is one of the biggest wheel killers there is.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Convert, the only precaution I do is I wait till the last to wash my wheels and I have a dedicated wash mitt for them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires