Good tires for winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Good tires for winter

So I just recently moved to Boston from San Diego. As we all know you never need anything more than basic All Seasons in San Diego but out here well...its a very different story. My car is my DD and I want to make sure I dont make my driving out here more difficult than it needs to be. What are some goods tires for me to get that will last me throughout the year? Bang for the buck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Continental extreme contacts DWS are gonna be your best all around all season great traction dry or in the snow but snows would be your best bet if you have to drive your car in the winter just get a cheap set if wheels and get a good set of snows.
fwalck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That what I was worried about...your saying I should have a second set of tires?
Id prefer to just have 1 set as I really dont have the budget or storage for 2 sets of tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Double post
Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If your gonna try to stick with one your best bet would be the conti DWS
fwalck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to taxxachusettes bro.. I drive my mustang in the winter specially this year when it was horrid. I use blizzak and they are holding up will in the winter and put some weight in the back that would help too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Welcome to taxxachusettes bro.. I drive my mustang in the winter specially this year when it was horrid. I use blizzak and they are holding up will in the winter and put some weight in the back that would help too.

LOL, thats the 5th time I've heard it called that. Im sure its high but nothing beats living in Ca as far as overall avg cost of living is concerned. I do have an issue with alky being so expensive...anyway whats blizzak?
Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Its made from Bridgestone.. can't go wrong with the brand. Do you live in Boston?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Im in a town called Framingham... ok wow...just looked them up...pretty expensive. Do they have good tred life?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Blizzaks on a second set of steel rims. Or a winter beater truck.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they are but it's worth it.. they have good thread life but don't drive them in the spring or summer.I go to Framingham all the time my aunt leaves there nice town lots of stores and big mall like Natick.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I live in Michigan and we had the worst winter this time. I used continental DWS and it is amazing. I use my car all round the year. I dont have a beater and i use it 48 miles a day. These tires are just great. Here are some videos i took while diving in snow on these tires. I had 150 lbs in the trunk too btw. Hope this helps

[COLOR="Silver"]
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I had Blizzaks on my old EVO MR, they were amazing. I honestly think it had more traction with those tires and 3 or 4 inches of snow than it did with the summer tires it came with.

I had thought about getting winter tires for the Mustang but held off to see how the stockers would do. I ended up driving all winter this year on the factory P Zero Nero's and I was fairly impressed with how well they did. I never got stuck, never really got hung up, even when pushing snow with the front bumper. This was also the snowiest year on record for my area (East Central Indiana).

That said, if you are a horrible driver in snow, snow tires won't do much for you.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I had to drive down from Vail on my trip and got caught in a random snow fall...I was parionoid as the car (I have Perrelli P7 Centar...somethings. damn good wet weather tires) kept sliping here and there...and that was with over 250lbs in the trunk. Ya I like it in Framingham. It reminds me of Mission Valley. Just about every type of food and the mall is chill. Its got a Tesla dealership I side it!

Im surprised the P Zeros even got traction. I hate those crap tires. I had the car 3 days when we got a huge downpour and I could not for the life of me get any traction. I tried putting some weight in my car. 125lbs. I still needed to start in 2nd gear and feather the throttle until I reached 15 mph....never again with the P Zeros.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
I live in Michigan and we had the worst winter this time. I used continental DWS and it is amazing. I use my car all round the year. I dont have a beater and i use it 48 miles a day. These tires are just great. Here are some videos i took while diving in snow on these tires. I had 150 lbs in the trunk too btw. Hope this helps

[COLOR="Silver"]
That's pretty damn good. I keep hearing great things about the Continentals. If I was to get an all season, those would be it. As it stands I will likely get a set of them the next time one of my other vehicles needs tires. The Expy is starting to get a little bald on the Geolanders and probably could use a set this fall. Ugh.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
No matter what tire setup you have, there will come a time and place eventually where it will not help.

2nd car is best.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
No matter what tire setup you have, there will come a time and place eventually where it will not help.

2nd car is best.
That time did not come for me last winter and i was so happy
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
That time did not come for me last winter and i was so happy
I bought a set of snow tires on smaller wheels the first winter I had it and it was fine. The second winter fine too and then one day it slushed a little right at my time to leave for work and my driveway is a minor incline. I mean minor, and it would not go up past 3/4 of the driveway. Had to call off and buy a car lol.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

2nd car is best.
Uh, yeah after this winter we just had... I think the 98 was out a total of 4 times from November-April.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Perelli Centurino thats whats on my rear right now...they are awesone in wet weather...my fronts have P6 Four Seasonsm..they are so so

Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had a set of Blizzak lm-60s on my Genesis Coupe for this past winter in Chicago. Freakin' life saver. I get the appeal of using all seasons, but if you want to be safer just go with a dedicated set of winter wheels.
iMpact32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Do you just get them for the rear wheels or for all 4?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Do you just get them for the rear wheels or for all 4?

Winters all around. I didn't get stuck a single time. Plan on getting them again for the stang this winter if I don't end up getting a winter beater lol
iMpact32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

How does everyone afford this?! LOL. Winter tires all around and buying a 2nd car...does tire or wheel size matter?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
How does everyone afford this?! LOL. Winter tires all around and buying a 2nd car...does tire or wheel size matter?

Eh... save up $1k, get a beat up civic or a set of winter tires on cheap steel rims. Yes size matters (lol), you want stock diameter but narrow is good for winter tires since narrow tires chew through the snow better. If you have a 94-04 car then a set of V6 rims and matching winter tires is great.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Really?! that sounds counter intuitive. I have a 2012. Ive been seeing 225 55 17 tires on some oem G35 wheels. Would those work?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires