Seventeen's or Eighteen's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Michigan
Seventeen's or Eighteen's?

Looking to make a purchase today of some new wheels and wanted to ask what the ideal rim size is for the 99-04 Mustang GT.
Considering the 18x9 and 18x10 Saleen's. Anyone with 17's figure they are too small or should I go with a set of 17x9 and 17x10's
LimosAreLame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I plan to get 18s Saleen. Looks great on the new edge.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Think 17's would look to small?
My car came with 16's HaH and it IS a GT.
Previous owner must have replaced them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimosAreLame View Post
Think 17's would look to small?
My car came with 16's HaH and it IS a GT.
Previous owner must have replaced them?

Should've came with 17s. 17 are stock on GT and 16 stock on v6.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
17s look like roller skates. 18s are better. Take a look at the selection on AM if you want a basic idea of the common rims out there that won't require much effort in researching besides what you think looks good. Beware their canned wheel/tire combos though. Some of their sizing is a little wonky.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I like my 17s but my car is low enough to make them look good. For Saleens I would definitely go 18s though. The spokes look too small on 17s.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Anything smaller than 18s are just too small as Scotty said. I have 18s on my car, and honestly if I could do it again I'd probably go 19s so I can run a taller tire in the rear without so much meat, and bigger brakes up front.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

I dunno I like running a little fatter tire out back with a 18 than a 19 with a 30 or 35 profile. To each their own though. I have a 26.6" rear tire and I probably could have gotten away with 27" but up front the 26.3" is just close enough to look great and not rub. My car is not "slammed" though and I do not see any point whatsoever in "slamming" a street car unless you like pieces of said car being ripped off.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Road Trip!

What is Recommended tire size for 18x9 18x10
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Stock diameter but you can go a little bigger if you want and aren't lowered too much.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Anything smaller than 18s are just too small as Scotty said. I have 18s on my car, and honestly if I could do it again I'd probably go 19s so I can run a taller tire in the rear without so much meat, and bigger brakes up front.
See to me 19s just look like ****
on a new edge. They're way too tall of a rim for the wheel well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I dunno I like running a little fatter tire out back with a 18 than a 19 with a 30 or 35 profile. To each their own though. I have a 26.6" rear tire and I probably could have gotten away with 27" but up front the 26.3" is just close enough to look great and not rub. My car is not "slammed" though and I do not see any point whatsoever in "slamming" a street car unless you like pieces of said car being ripped off.
My car actually does just fine for being "slammed" I scrape my chin spoiler and exhaust on steep bumps and that's about it. I would rub on my tires if I had something taller though
Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Seventeen's or Eighteen's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
See to me 19s just look like ****
on a new edge. They're way too tall of a rim for the wheel well.

My car actually does just fine for being "slammed" I scrape my chin spoiler and exhaust on steep bumps and that's about it. I would rub on my tires if I had something taller though

I used to think 18s were beat, but I saw a super nice new edge with 19s and it looked perfect. Yea not all 19s can pull it off, but it looked pretty good. Do they me wrong I love my 18s, but when I eventually want forged aluminum wheels and a bit bigger brakes then I'll upgrade.

HID end all thread
Old 06-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Beware their canned wheel/tire combos though. Some of their sizing is a little wonky.

Do you know what canned wheel/tire combo's are wrong sized?
I am looking at 275/35-18 and 285/35-18 for the 9 and 10 inch wide rims and I don't have much experience with tire sizes.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I used to think 18s were beat, but I saw a super nice new edge with 19s and it looked perfect. Yea not all 19s can pull it off, but it looked pretty good. Do they me wrong I love my 18s, but when I eventually want forged aluminum wheels and a bit bigger brakes then I'll upgrade.
There really aren't too many brake kits that require larger than 18s that I know of. Every car with 19s that I've seen looked absolutely ridiculous
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Do you know what canned wheel/tire combo's are wrong sized?
I am looking at 275/35-18 and 285/35-18 for the 9 and 10 inch wide rims and I don't have much experience with tire sizes.
That's an example right there. Yes the diameters are close at 25.7 and 25.9 but they fail to take into account looks. You have a rear tire only 10mm wider than the front yet the front rim is an inch thinner than the rear. Going to look funny in regards to sidewalls.

You also have to realize that different brands run bigger and smaller than others. For example, my BFG 275s are as wide as my old Nitto 315s. Nittos run really small and BFGs run big so that is either end of the spectrum but you see what I mean.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Yeah I hear that.Great, Anyone running the Sumitomo or Nitto NT555 on 18x9 18x 10 rims and know the proper sizing of tires I should be looking at?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

For a NT555 and a 10" wide rim you are going to want a 315, for the front 9" wide you'll want a 275. I would not get a Sumi, they are not very good tires. They last forever but have really bad traction. I like my BFGs personally.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Was just on the AM site and used there "chat with an expert"
He agreed that the tires that are matched with the wheels to
complete the kit are not ideal sizes. You would think AM would
correct this.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

Slammed like this?
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/84149652
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
correct this.

The thing about sizes though, a 10" wide usually needs a 305 on average given it's a true tire size. And most 305 sizes are competition tires. All of their combos are summer tires. Probably why they are a bit off.

HID end all thread
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
The thing about sizes though, a 10" wide usually needs a 305 on average given it's a true tire size. And most 305 sizes are competition tires. All of their combos are summer tires. Probably why they are a bit off.
Mine didn't but you could argue some BFG 275s are more like a 295 or even a 305 in some other brands. You have to look at section and tread width and realize that a 18x10 rim (for example) is not 10" wide, that is how wide it is from inside lip to inside lip. The actual rim is more like 11 or 11.5" wide.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
correct this.
Because they probably don't carry a brand that offers optimal sizing for these wheels. The worst combo I've seen them have is the 05-up 18" Sumitumo combo. It is a 255/45/18 paired to a 275/40/18. The front tire is a half inch taller than the rear tire and its very obvious when its mounted on a car .

Old 06-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I regret not going to 18s when I got new tires.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

There is mine on 18x8/18x10 and slightly oversized BFGs at 235/45/18 up front and 275/40/18 out back. Tires fit PERFECT and there is no rubbing at full lock or anything. Car is lowered about 1.25" all around but since the tires are oversized its more like .75" out back and 1" out front as far as ground clearance difference goes. I don't even scrape over speed bumps.

Also please forgive the crappy looking rotors and no caps. I had just washed it and and it has stainless center caps. Need to do a photoshoot out at the base one of these days.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Sent off a couple PM's to the AM rep's on this Forum about the tire kit sizes.
As a MUSTANG parts and accessories only company they should be informed of the "for lack of better word" poorly paired tire kits.
It is easy to make your own kit by selecting the free mount and balance with nitrogen fill, allowing you to ultimately making your ideal "kit"
The issue I personally have with this is simply the price gap between a pre made and personally made package as well as not being familiar with tire sizes and not wanting to make the same "mistake" AM did when pairing the two together.

Hopefully an AM rep will add there opinion and resolution to this thread.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Sent off a couple PM's to the AM rep's on this Forum about the tire kit sizes.
As a MUSTANG parts and accessories only company they should be informed of the "for lack of better word" poorly paired tire kits.
It is easy to make your own kit by selecting the free mount and balance with nitrogen fill, allowing you to ultimately making your ideal "kit"
The issue I personally have with this is simply the price gap between a pre made and personally made package as well as not being familiar with tire sizes and not wanting to make the same "mistake" AM did when pairing the two together.

Hopefully an AM rep will add there opinion and resolution to this thread.
Lol you would not be the first person to bring this up to them. Its been brought to AM's attention before and it is what it is. If you don't like the sizes they have just buy tires separately like I did. I saved money doing it that way vs going with a canned AM combo anyway. Although those rims are AM and they are good.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #27
Road Trip!

If I was to order the Sumi's, they are going to look terrible?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

There are a TON of user submitted pics on their website. Again, you do not have to order a canned combo. I got my rims from AM, WAY better tires than the Sumis for the same price as the Sumis on Tirerack. $582 for the rims shipped, $600 shipped for the tires, $80 to mount/balance/warranty locally. That's cheaper than any combo on their site and I can take the car back for a free re-balance if I need to.

I personally would not recommend the Sumis unless you don't care so much about performance and just want something that will last as long as possible.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #29
Road Trip!

The user submitted pictures mostly look appealing to me. Yet after you explained how the rear tire is only 10mm wider than the front yet the front rim is an inch thinner than the rear, you have me questioning if I will be disappointed at the stance. As far as performance goes, I feel my car isn't powerful enough at the moment to benefit from some really good quality tires and longevity and "looks" play more a part in my decision. The package deal seems ideal due to the price point and the simple convenience and I would order them up in the next few hours if it wasn't for your comments about the sizing being wonky running on replay in the back of my head.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #30
Road Trip!

If anyone is currently reading this thread and runs the "canned wheel and tire kit" that is being mentioned, it would be appreciated if you could throw in your 0.02 to help. I have decided to go with the 18's
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

I mean if you like the way they look in the pics get them... but like I said you are paying for convenience and an inferior tire. I think the Sumi combo is what $1300 shipped? I paid less but not THAT much less but I did get way better tires.

I will say that with a 275 on the front and a 285 on the back, the back will be more "flush" to the rim. There are enough pics on the AM site to shake a stick at so I really would just peruse them all until you are confident you know what you want. At least with the combo you are looking at the front tire is not half an inch taller than the rear lol.

Also, before you order PM one of the AM reps for the 6% forum discount code. Will save you a solid $60 or so off your order. You can only get it via PMing a rep though so you will have to wait for one of them to get back to you. They are pretty good about it tho.

edit: Also, take a look at tirerack and discount tire direct and build up some combos on paper and price them out adding around $80 to whatever total which is what a mount/balance locally should cost you. You may find you can get a way cheaper combo doing that. Getting them mounted/balanced is a simple trip to a wheel/tire shop and waiting a half hour.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

here are the pics you asked for LimosAreLame...some are older but you get the picture, lowered with SVE springs, and have a spacer on the rear b/c quad shocks are still installed...245/45/17 up front, sumtiomos and 315/35/17 in the rear. sumos also.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

He's running 18s though and I'm guessing you had 17x8s up front as well, he is looking to run 18x9s. Unless I missed something.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He's running 18s though and I'm guessing you had 17x8s up front as well, he is looking to run 18x9s. Unless I missed something.
17x9's...he pm'd me asking for pics and info. I did just see where he said he leaning towards 18's, I like my 17's lol
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah gotcha. Hell I run 235s up front on my 8" rims to get them flush straight up and down. Not "hella flush" ricer crap or anything just nice and straight.

Front 235s on 8" wide rims

Rear 275s on 10" wide rims

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires