Tire Diameter Sizes and Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tire Diameter Sizes and Questions

I'm not in need of tires yet but I wanted some advise on upgrading wheels and tires when it's time to get new rubber. I've got stock wheels on my base 13 coupe but I'm not interested in any suspension changes but I would like to fill the wheel openings more compared to stock. I'd go 18" or 19" wheels but I'm not interested in low profile tires on whichever rims I choose. I'll be looking for some polished rims or anthracite rims with a polished edge and a setup where the wheels are more more even with the edges of the fenders rather than tucked in. I'd prefer to stay away from a staggered wheel setup. She is a DD and we won't be on the track.
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
so what is the ?

I will say tire rack has lots of tools/answes
Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you don't want low profile tires you are stuck with 17s or 18s. I'm the same, the roads are horrible around me and low profile tires require me to drive slower. What size are your stock wheels and tires?
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. I wasn't clear with my question. I didn't ask a reasonable question. I have a base '13 with 17" wheels with 215/65R/17 Michelin tires. I'm not concerned with my existing tires but when I've used them up I may upgrade with new wheels and tires with some tread left. I want something that will allow me to move the tires out to better align with the fenders. I'm considering 18" x 8" rims but will I be faced with any issues? I've seen wheels and tires as shown:
255/45/18
235/50/18
245/40/18
275/45/18
Please, let me know what I should be looking at based on your experiences.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

What I would do is look for a set of 18" take-offs on this or other sites. Cheap and readily available. Note if you upgrade tire size you need to replace your steering stops (easy/cheap) or the tires will rub at full wheel lock.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

This site will help.
DTGTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to retain an OEM Ford factory look, and want to move the tires out a little bit, then the Brembo 19" Wheels with 255/45/19 tires would work out great.

There are lots of people selling Brembo wheels as take-offs or used complete sets, sometimes with or without TPMS sensors. Ford Racing Parts also sells these wheels in solid black. The reason I recommend a factory wheel is that if you ever damage one or two, there are plenty available as replacement, preventing the need to potentially replace an entire aftermarket wheel set if you ever damage one or two.

As for low profile, the 17" tires you currently ride on are 28.0" tall, giving you a 5.5" sidewall height. The taller sidewall, especially non-performance models, will encounter more deflection giving you more bounce/shock feedback when on rough roads. This can actually make roads feel a little rougher than they actually are.

The tire size I'm recommending for you on the Ford 19" Brembo wheels, 255/45/19, are 28.0" tall and will give you a 4.5" sidewall height. This combo keeps your speedometer dead-on factory accurate. If you stick with an All-Season tire, while this will firm up the ride a little, it will ride much better than the stock 17" wheels/tires. The OEM Brembo tire is 255/40/19 and is 27.2" tall with a sidewall height closer to 4" tall.

As for stance, the Brembo wheel dramatically improves the stance over the factory 17" wheel, and is still wider than stock 18" Base GT wheels, and even 19" GT Premium or GT/CS wheels.

Lastly, don't go cheap on the tires, you will get what you pay for in quality and engineering. Cheaper tires are typically louder, use cheaper rubber compounds, ride harsher while providing less feedback to the driver, and usually have out-of-round conditions that need to be greatly counter-balanced on the wheel. I recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, which is by far the best tire I've ever owned.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the the input from everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
If you want to retain an OEM Ford factory look, and want to move the tires out a little bit, then the Brembo 19" Wheels with 255/45/19 tires would work out great.

There are lots of people selling Brembo wheels as take-offs or used complete sets, sometimes with or without TPMS sensors. Ford Racing Parts also sells these wheels in solid black. The reason I recommend a factory wheel is that if you ever damage one or two, there are plenty available as replacement, preventing the need to potentially replace an entire aftermarket wheel set if you ever damage one or two.

As for low profile, the 17" tires you currently ride on are 28.0" tall, giving you a 5.5" sidewall height. The taller sidewall, especially non-performance models, will encounter more deflection giving you more bounce/shock feedback when on rough roads. This can actually make roads feel a little rougher than they actually are.

The tire size I'm recommending for you on the Ford 19" Brembo wheels, 255/45/19, are 28.0" tall and will give you a 4.5" sidewall height. This combo keeps your speedometer dead-on factory accurate. If you stick with an All-Season tire, while this will firm up the ride a little, it will ride much better than the stock 17" wheels/tires. The OEM Brembo tire is 255/40/19 and is 27.2" tall with a sidewall height closer to 4" tall.

As for stance, the Brembo wheel dramatically improves the stance over the factory 17" wheel, and is still wider than stock 18" Base GT wheels, and even 19" GT Premium or GT/CS wheels.

Lastly, don't go cheap on the tires, you will get what you pay for in quality and engineering. Cheaper tires are typically louder, use cheaper rubber compounds, ride harsher while providing less feedback to the driver, and usually have out-of-round conditions that need to be greatly counter-balanced on the wheel. I recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, which is by far the best tire I've ever owned.
Thanks for this detailed reply. Am looking to do the same for my 2011 V6. To say the wheel options are overwhelming is a bit of an understatement.
Muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

I will disagree with the sidewall height answer. The rubber height is where you have give and that will absorb bumps more tham the metal of the rim a low profile tire tend to run harsher than one with tall sidewalls. As i said earlier takeoffs can be a ggod deal if you find them. If you go up to 18/19's from the 17's you often have to replace steering stops to prevent rubbing at full lock but they are cheap and simple to do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires