Best Ultra Performance Tire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Best Ultra Performance Tire

I currently have 18" rims on my 2014 and I want to upgrade to these 19" rims. TSW Mustang Mirabeau Wheel - 19x8.5 Silver w/ Mirror Face (05-14) - LatemodelRestoration.com
Since they are 19" i was wondering what 19" tire people recommend for all season driving. i live in Ohio so I really cant go summer tires for a DD. i currently have the P zero's on my car and love them. So do you recommend sticking with Pirelli's or going with another brand? Thanks for the help.
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I just replaced the stock P Zero Nero All Season's with new ones which probably wasn't the best but eh. I'd like to know as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Best is subjective. PSS are my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Depends on what your looking for good traction long life
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Continental ProContact tires for all seasons. There are multiple variants, look them up on tirerack.

/thread
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

No All-Season tire will give you the same amount of grip of a summer tire, but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 come close. This is by far the finest tire I've ever owned. They ride great, roll smooth, balance very well, have awesome steering response, and provide really good grip overall.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Thanks for your guys responses. I might give the michelins a try. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I went with Hankook noble s2's. They are far better than the stock tires IMO. Have 19's as well. was best price for the tire that i found.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hankooks are a good tire. Michelins are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
firestone firehawks indy 500 wide ovals.
I have those on my cobra and Mickey Thompson street comps on my GT and the mickeys feel slippery. The firestones seem to keep me planted better then my gt's set up.
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Michelins are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced.
Understood, and I used to think the same, but I've learned over 27-years of driving that when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for.

Every tire has a purpose, and if you own a garage queen that gets less than 10,000 per year, or have a commute that rarely leads you down a highway, than saving money on tires might make sense, as you really are using your tires to their fullest, nor have to deal with long commutes with a vibrating car or steering wheel. Maybe you just shoot around town and enjoy a little hooliganism, then maybe a tire that offers more outright grip is the highest thing on the list. If you have a garage queen and the car is just a weekend/good weather car, than I doubt I would be concerned with much of anything other than cost.

Michelin's are expensive for a reason, they have the highest quality, the most advanced rubber compounds, are the truest/roundest tire you can buy, balance with lowest amount of weight, and typically give you more tread to the ground when compared to others. If you drive lots of miles each year, these things are important.

Comparing a 255/40-19 Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 to the same sized Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's, the Michelin gives you 0.9" more tread across the tire width when measured across the same 9" wide wheel. More tread equals better traction, and IMO, better value for your money.

Maybe an important factor to some, Hankook's are made in the Republic of Korea and shipped over to the US, while the Michelin's sold in the USA are made in the USA.

The way I look tire purchases is this. Most people need new tires on a Mustang, on average, about every 25,000 miles. That's about 1-year of driving for me. You can spend $775.00 for a set of Hankooks (tires only), or $1060 for Michelin's (tires only), or a $286.00 difference. Since I have to live with the tires for at least the next year then I prefer to have a higher quality, better riding, better balancing set of tires for $286. This extra amount equals less than $1.00 per day, which is a 14:1 dollar ratio for the gasoline I burn each day to the price of higher quality tires spread out over 1-year.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you want a wider tire for the size and a really good compound, do what I do and get a BFG. My 275 wide BFGs are as wide as a 315 Nitto or a 295 in a tire that does not run narrow. Great compounds, last a long time, good traction etc...

I've had Michelins before, they are great, and if the difference is $200-$300 for a set of 4 that is one thing. But for the sizes I run, the difference is like $1k... no thanks.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

No All-Season tire will give you the same amount of grip of a summer tire, but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 come close. This is by far the finest tire I've ever owned. They ride great, roll smooth, balance very well, have awesome steering response, and provide really good grip overall.
^This! I have these tires on my Stang and the wife's Audi. They are great year round. I can't speak to winter conditions though as I don't drive my stang during the winter months. Continental DWS would be my second choice but they have kind of soft sidewall. Yes for the most part Michelins are expensive but you just need to shop around. I got mines for $700 installed with new lug nuts for my wheels.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires