Tire load - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Tire load

Question for all you tire gurus. My car has 2750 miles on it the dealership is having to replace one off the tires because it has too much load on it. Is replacing just one tire going to cause any issues with the car pulling to the left or right ? Should they really replace both of them?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not sure I understand the "too much load" part. Load is reflective of weight, and that would mean you are carrying too much weight in the car, and more specifically as described, too much weight over a single tire, which doesn't make sense, especially with the low mileage. More likely you have a defective tire that is out-of-round or some other defect.

As for replacing one tire at 2,750 miles, you should be good. There should be less than 1/32" of wear a that mileage, and having one tire only 1/32" taller than the rest will not create a pull. I would recommend though that you rotate the new tire/wheel to the right rear, as that will be the quickest wearing corner, and will quickly even out the wear.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The service adviser said the tire had 40lbs of load and it should not have more than 5lbs.

Thanks for the tip I will make sure they put the tire on the right rear.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 5.0 View Post
The service adviser said the tire had 40lbs of load and it should not have more than 5lbs.
That makes absolutely no sense at all, but Service Advisers are not usually very smart in terms of mechanical skills, they are there for vehicle intake and customer service. I suspect that whatever the service adviser believes he heard the mechanic report was lost in translation back to you. I wonder if he meant "run out" of 40 thousandths?

When were talking pounds (lbs) for a tire, that's usually in reference to tire pressure. Tires for Base and Premium models is 32 psi cold, and for Brembo/Track Pack models, 35 psi. Inflating tires to 40 psi does not ruin them, max pressure for most tires is somewhere between 40-50 psi, but running a single tire at much higher pressure than all others will create some strange wear and drivability issues, which may be what you encountered.

Tire pressures out of the factory never seem to be consistent, and I really wish the dealership would check them more closely when selling a brand-new vehicle.

On the 2015 Mustang, the actual Tire Pressure for each tire will get displayed on the dash, so the owners/drivers will know exactly what's going on with the tire pressures.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Wheels & Tires